Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    lydia
    Thanks

male died, female is in the birdhouse with eggs

Help...what can i feed the mom to be. last time she layed eggs , she stayed in the birdhouse that is in their cage
    and the male brought all her food to her n for the babies when they hatched. well, yesterday while cage was outside, i think a hawk tried to attack, well the male died. female is staying put...i dont want her or the soon to hatch egg to die of huger...what to do?

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: male died, female is in the birdhouse with eggs

Maybe put the food inside the nesting box I think it will help if there's no male...that's really sad...
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi! Lydia, You know, I think the female will instinctively take care of her babies. In the wild often times one or the other of a pair will be killed by a predator. I would say to watch the female carefully, and I think you could carefully put a little bit of food in the nest box if she won't come out. Another suggestion would be to call an Avian Vet in your area and explain the situation you are placed in. The Vet and/or his/her assistant will be able to tell you what needs to be done so that the babies will hatch, and that the hen won't die. In the meantime, I will be praying that all turns out for the best for you and the mama and the babies.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss and the sad situation of your poor mama bird. Thought I'd give you a suggestion. All of my birds absolutely love LaFeber's Baby Bird Formula. I give it to them as a treat. I hand reared all but one of my 8 birds. Once they weaned, my birds do not like Kaytee formula, but they continue to love snacking on LaFeber's. I give it to them as a nutritional supplement and would recommend offering it to your mama bird as a supplement. You could also try Bird Street Bistro foods. I buy their variety pack which has 5 varieties of parrot food that you cook. It's wonderfully nutritious and you can cook up a big batch and freeze the surplus in meal-sized portions. Then you simply microwave it for a minute to just warm it up. It lasts a long time in the freezer.

Mama bird would probably love those foods and it would definitely help her with her incubating process. And when the baby hatches, she will be able to give that food to the baby.

Also, provide her with a normal diet - seed mix and fresh fruit and veggie salad.

Take care and my prayers are with you.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!