Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Question Male or female???

Hi
    i was just wondering ...... if my female budgie is actually a male budgie (i'll call her a she for now)
    she normally has a blue cere and when a male is around her it goes brown completley brown it just gets darkernand darker and darker.......im just not sure if it's a female!! yes it is very scared and untame AND WILD AND YES it chews and gnaws things a lot im just not sure if it is a female or male!!!!
    and i was also planning to breed my 2 budgies if the female or male is a female because right now i have a male in a different cage cause i seperated them to tame them its really sad!!!
    btu i have to tame them or you know......well i dont have to but its better for me to tame them first OR i can just let them be and maybe they might breed but the plae their in is very loud and there is no other room for them and it IS WINTER but just recently a breeder got a few baby budgies!
    im still resading books this is going to the very first time!
    if they do breed!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: Male or female???

I wonder.... should i put the male back and leave the taming or later or what?
    the female is crazy wild too im not sure if them having babies would be such a good idea....unless i tame themm not sure what to do!!
    need serious help!
    either tame and breed later OR untame and bree sooner!
    IM NOT SUREEEEEE!!
    oh geez ive gone crazy haven't !?????
    bevcause i just can't make up my mind....
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

The male is climbing around his cage going crazy for the female cause they are a pair.......
    and his hurting his feet climbing around all day some of his scales have...have....sort of.....come off......because of all that climbing and going crazy!
    I need him back in with the female it is the only way G MEto keep hin from hurting himself on accident!
    Im putting him BACK
    NO ONES STOPPING ME!!!!
    oh boy gone crazy again...
    he'll love being back with the female!
    thats all i want to see 2 happy budgies!
    makes me happy although i have always wished of taming my birds so i can play with them!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

How old are your little budgies? Budgies can get "hormonal" as early as 6 months of age, but it never is a good idea to breed budgies or other birds until they have reached their maturity. I would say it would be advisable to have a pair that is at least 1 1/2 years old before you breed them. Also, breeding birds is no easy task, and there are many dangers that come with it. Sometimes the female will get egg bound (when the egg won't come out of her), and that could mean death to her unless an Avian Vet or other Vet is close by so you can rush her to the Vet's office. Even a Vet sometimes cannot help this situation. Also, there is a regular process to breeding. The birds need certain foods, and vitamins, the larger cage the better, and a nest box for them to use while she is laying eggs.

Personally, I would not want to breed birds until I had done a lot of research and education on the process. From what you say in your post, it is a good possibility that your budgie is a female by what you have told us about her cere. If I were you, I would leave them in separate cages until you can find out more about the breeding process, and be sure that is the direction you want to go, because once she starts laying eggs, and if they are fertilized, then you have begun the breeding process with the pair and need to be ready to deal with it.

Only you can make the decision to breed or not to breed. I hope, whatever decision you make, all will go well. And incidently, I LOVE BUDGIES TOO!!

Name
    britany
    Thanks

My birds are definitely over a year old because it is blank on the top of their heads(they are both dark factors) and im not sure about seperating them again because the male was climbing so much that some of his scales.....sort off....came off a little......
    but its healing now so that good!
    and yes im choosing to breed them!
    and im going to do a lot of research so nothing goes wrong!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

im gonna print a lot of pages out and read them all and learn everything off by heart then i'll probably read some books for extra stuff
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive