Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: juice??

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Question juice??

Hi

I was just wondering if budgies can drink juice
    and i was also wondering if you did make al the fruits and veggies your budgies needed into juice would it still contain all the nutrients and minerals??

and if theres no such thing as bird juice then how do you introduce veggies and stuff to your budgies because mine dont touch their fruits and veggies!

and also could you make a little salad or put some of the veggies and fruits into thair seed mix or could you make treats an evrything im really not sure..

i need to turn my budgies dietas up a knotch because it's not that good so far!

ty
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: juice??

Juice has a lot more sugar since it's concentrated, they can have a little, but just be careful they don't get too much. And it should only be the PURE juice no additives, no extra sugar, etc.

For introducing veggies, best way is for you to take a plate and let them see you eat from it. Make sure your germs don't touch their food, but grab a carrot or something and pop it into your mouth. For my tiel what I do is if I don't like the item, I pick it up, hide it in my palm and exclaim over how yummy it is, then he practically fights me to get to the plate to try out all that food I am eating.

Something else you can try is to hang the toys on a kabob and hang it in the cage like a treat. Or hang a piece of lettuce like a toy, etc.

Dehydrated veggies are often liked over fresh for new veggie eaters due to the fact they are dry, not wet.

I wouldn't put veggies in their seeds as most birds will just pick around and eat the seeds, especially a seed junky. You can remove the seeds for about an hour to try to entice your birds to eat the veggies, but don't take it away for long, as their metabolism is high and you want them to keep eating throughout the day.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

At work, we feed our birds dehydrated veggies. For most of them it's their first time seeing something other than seeds, and so far, they have been a success.

At home, I make a big production of everyone getting veggies. The tortoise gets veggies, I get veggies, our dove gets veggies... then our budgie will usually try whatever we're all eating. I don't eat Serrano peppers unless they're in something (too hot!) but our dove LOVES them. I feed our budgie peppers, but I have to show him that "Look! Twitter (the dove) eats them, you should, too!!".

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Name
    britany
    Thanks

but the problem is my budgies aren't that tame!
    OR maybe....they might eat the veggies i put in their cage that has slightly dried up and then later on they might try the fresh!
    I dont know....
    ive tried the eating thing it only freaks my birds out and if i try and separate them to tame them they will only be very depressed after... i tried it and my budgies got a little sick but i put them back together and now they're getting better!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

oh and i do hang the veggies like a treat or... a toiy but they dont play with toys and they dont touch it a bit!

Anmd whats the best veggie to give your bird to try out firszt?
    I gave them broccolli and they didnt touch a bit!
    OR maybe i could put it where my female budgie usually goes and since she chews a LOT because sghe is in breeding mood maybe she might just try it out!
    but my budgies eating that brocolli is just luck!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive