Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    dawn pusey
    Thanks

mating questions

i know this sounds crazy but does two femaales actually mate like a male and female, i have seen this qustion so much but i never see an answer for it, does any one know . thanks

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: mating questions

maybe.......
    not sure....lol
    your right it does sound crazy!

first answer in my head was....hmmmm.................noway!

sorry didnt really have any answer i searched it up too and got nothhing just female birds can't mate wit5h eachother bla bla bla! lol

sorry if there was any inconvinience in this message..
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

actually i think yes if there like bonded enough...yeah a little weird but yeah
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Katie
    Thanks

What species of bird?
    I have heard this is COMMON among BONDED males, but never have i heard of this with females! Can you post pictures of the two? you are sure they are both female?

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Oh lovebirds they are their lovebirds!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Actually that was just some kind of random guess cause its LOVebirds lol
    I'm really not sure what species lol
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    dawn pusey
    Thanks

they are lovebirds, i will post pic whene ever they come out of the nest but they only come out for a min to feed. i did get a chance to check eggs last night and i don't see anything in 5 of them but 2 of them had a litlle gray spot that seemed to move,ut that was all i seen besides the yolk. the one that is suppose to be a male is only 7 months so mabe he is not old enough yet. i am sad i was really hoping for babies.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

2 females will try and mate sometimes, yes.

Have to ask, why on earth would you try and breed a 7 month old bird? It's only just come out of it's juvenile moult ... it's yet to begin it's adult moult!!!!! Lovebirds are growing and developing until around 18 months old. Raising a clutch takes ALOT out of the parents, the male included. At such a young age they need alot of nutrients and energy to thrive and develop - they shouldnt be wasting it on raising young of their own. Asking a growing, young bird to raise growing, young birds is dangerous and irresponsible.

As soon as they are done, I urge you to stop the breeding and allow the birds to mature and get into condition before trying to breed them again. You could use the time you spend waiting to research more into breeding and maybe DNA sex the birds. Fail to prepare - prepare to fail .. and when it comes to the lives of living animals, we can't afford to fail.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

agree
    the problem is your male doesn't know what he's doing.
    It's sort of like a 12 year old boy being encouraged to have sex. Yeah, he'll take the chance if he gets it, but EWWW. not to mention he's nowhere near able to care for a baby.

Sadly the same goes for young birds. Often they won't hatch eggs successfully, or (and in my opinion worse!) they'll be problems when the babies are hatched. Like Mum and Dad forgetting to feed them, or squashing them, or ignoring them, or tossing them out of the nest. Or worst of all attacking them. When there are problems like this it's usually for two reasons: Either something is wrong with the baby and parent birds sense it - or more often, the parents are too young and inexperienced. It's so sad the amount of posts you see where parent birds are plucking and biting their babies - or worse killing them

If you have the opportunity - learn how to hand feed NOW. That way if these two (maybe) fertile eggs do hatch and anything goes wrong, at least the babies will still stand a chance with you.

The other thing worrying me is how old is your hen? If she's too young egg binding is more likely...

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    dawn pusey
    Thanks

first i must say that a registered breeder told me the bird was old enough, i do know how to handfeed i did that all last year, i have other birds, i just wanted to know if 2 females go through the motion of mating just like a male and female, because i had seen them mate many times, but i know that females can lay eggs without a mate but i just wanted to know if they were the same sex would they go through the motions, because according to the internet they say you can not put 2 females together because they will kill one another but i know that i have 2 females together that have been dna and they get along find and the person i got them from said one of them was 3yr and the other 1 yr so its not like they were paired as babies, i can assure you that i would not do anything to harm my birds, this was the first bird i baught for breeding all of my others were proven pairs so i know for sure what i have, but with this one i went on what the breeder said . and yes i do know how to hand feed as i have fed aout 40 babies and i do know what to do if one was to get egg bound and if i didn't i would surely be at the vets office.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

The registered breeder is wrong i'm afraid. They go through a juvenile moult around 5-7 months of age, where they moult out a partial amount of the plumage. You will find most people/sources say 12 months is the minimum age to breed - but I firmly believe this is also too young. The first proper moult starts around the 12 month period, and it's a complete moult. Very stressful time for the bird and it's important they are way past this before breeding. They continue growing until they are 18 months old. This is when I feel a bird is truly ready to breed. It's past it's first moult, fully grown/developed and should have had enough time to get into condition.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    dawn pusey
    Thanks

thanks for the info, i do now that the bird had gone through the first molt and when i took the bird home i kept in in a seperate cage for about 5 weeks and had the cage setting next to my female and i now have had him in the cage for about 6 weeks si i guess he is about 9 months, i did put in ealier post that he was7 months but that was how old he was when i firt got him so i should had made myself clear about his age now, but anyway if he is too young what should i do takes him out again and set their cages besides one another again?