Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Got new tiel today!

Her/his name is calypso, 4 weeks old. They place i bought calypso from i have to hand feed her/him twice a day i tried to feed her earlier and she didn't want any so i came home from work to hear her , it sounded to me like crying or wining it only stopped when i fed her. is that something i should expect when shes hungry?

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Got new tiel today!

Hi! and Welcome to the community!. Yes, the sounds you are hearing are ones that signal your baby wants food and needs to be fed. Perhaps you can share with us what you are feeding and how often. There are several breeders that visit our community, and they will be able to answer any questions you have about handfeeding and taking care of your little baby. 4 weeks old is very young. I love the name you chose. There are many important things to learn about handfeeding. Stop by often, and hopefully some other folks will post some suggestions for you. When your baby gets a little older, and you have her on a good schedule, please take some pics sometime and post them. We LOVE pics of every kind of bird. Good luck with your precious baby, Calypso!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

The guy who sold her to me gave me this powder and he said mix it with hot water and feed it to her twice a day

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She only cries when Im in the room I just got her yesterday and the guy I bought her from yesterday said feed her twice a day once in the morning and at night I already fed her around 8 and now she won't stop crying she'll put a few seeds in her mouth when I put on near her face but she will just spit it out and she nibbles on millet

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would suggest you contact an Avian Vet, and set up an appointment to have her examined for good health. A breeder that I once bought some tiels from told me he was up and down all night and during the day with his baby tiels, feeding them. Twice a day to me doesn't seem like enough food. Do you feed her with a syringe or a spoon. It is important to feed them properly, because they can have "crop" problems (their little throat area), if you don't get the food in their mouth just right. Somehow, I think your breeder sold this poor little bird way, way to early. It still should be with its parents and living at the breeder's home.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Besides being hungry, the cries and moaning could result from being alone all day while you are at work. Some pets do not like to spend hours alone. In the evening when you see your bird is probably real anxious for attention.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'm home all day I talked to a vet today she says feed her more than twice and I'm seeing the vet Monday to make sure she's doing ok and she's starting to nibble on millet and the other stick I have it's like a treat she loved it!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm happy to hear you spoke with the Vet. I think it is great she is nibbling on the millet. Millet also has moisture in it, so she is getting some water content to add to her little body too! I've seen pics on the web of little baby tiels eating millet. I admire you for calling the vet and getting good advice. Keep us posted on your baby. I'm sure she will be fine, now that you know how much and when to feed her.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ya I'm going to a vet Monday to see how she's doing I just wanna make sure I'm doing ok you know? The vet said feed her like 3-4 times a day usually when she cries but not every time cause she's nibble on solids the vet says that's a great sign that she's already wanting to try solids

Name
    Sherry
    Thanks

3-4 times a day sounds about right at that age. We call that the "begging" sound. Our babies make that sound when they are hungry. My birds usually are fully weaned by about 6 weeks. Some take longer and some earlier. All depends on the bird. I have had some who are over 2 months and can feed themselves just fine but still make that "begging" sound to be fed when they see me. Your little one sounds like she will be just fine. Best of luck with her. I'm sure she will bring much joy.

Sherry

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you all very much I'll let you all know what the vet has to say Monday

Name
    britany
    Thanks

So how's everything??

Everything alright????
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I just left the vet a little while ago, he said its a boy and is older than 4 weeks and now he doesn't need to be fed directly from the vile, I can now just put some of the formul on his bird seed and that Gatsby since its a boy I decided to change his name, is very healthy!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That's great news! And I LOVE the name you chose!! I know you and Gatsby are going to be "forever friends"!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you very much

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Update! I have been putting the formula on his food no he seems to just push that away and eat his bird seeds

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Congratulations you have done well by the sounds of it! Those first few days it did not sound that good.
    If he had been only 4wks old feeding twice a day would not of been good.
    As you are over hand feeding there is not much point in telling you a little bit about when is the right time to feed. It is a crop issue when empty they need to be fed. And it should be empty before you feed formula. You can see the crop on very young, it takes a feel after they have feathers. That is my understanding!
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell