Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Parrotlet - Species Indentification

So recently, aka yesterday, I decided to go and get some sort of pet, due to my depression as well as loneliness at times. I decided to get a bird. When I went to the pet shop which specializes in birds, I was just looking, seeing what there was. The employee showed me birds that I could possibly get, after explaining my situation, and as much as the birds were beautiful, they were really anything which I was looking for, with most being a bit too expensive and another one a bit too wild. I was about ready to go when I looked on the bird, seeing a bird called a Parrotlet for $350. Not knowing what it was, I asked the employee who led me over towards this little lime green colored male, who was as silent as could be. Well, I fell in love with it however, I went home without it, talked to my parents about it and researched him a bit before I went back with my dad and picked him up. At the store, I bought a large used cage for $70, which I cleaned up with some water with a small amount of vinegar (the cage is larger than my 36 gal fish tank). As for food, i bought him the regular blend as well as a special blend with what looks like pumpkin seeds and dried fruits. As for toys, I spend $80 on them, including buying a birdie playground for him to play with. When I brought him at home and placed him in his cage, he was shy, not wanting to be near me at all. Of course, that is normally so I just sat by the cage without looking at him and worked on the computer, so he would get used to his surroundings.

Today, I decided to do some more shopping for him (I spoil my pets more than what you would believe). I bought him some treats as well as a carrier so that I could bring him to the vet and other places. I then cleaned the carrier, and put in a cup of water for him before taking him for a ride to the local PetSmart, which I bought more toys for him. He seemed to have enjoyed it, because for the first time I had him, he was chirping. When PetSmart trip was done, I brought him home and allowed him to go into his cage, where he continued to chirp, bobbing his head up and down. It was then in which he flew (his wings are clipped) and landed on the floor. I was worried so when I bent down to pick him up, I was surprised when he hopped on my finger (this is the bird he refused to look at me twenty-four hours before). Curious, I decided to leave him be, on my hand and see what he would to. He allowed me to feed him millet before deciding that the spot wasn't comfortable for him. He crawled up my arm and onto my shoulders, where he buried himself into my hair. After an hour of sitting on my shoulder, he crawled on top of my head before sitting there. This is, as I said, the second day. He allowed me to put him back into his cage when I wanted him too and when I tested him by putting my hand on the perch that he was on, he stayed completely still. Not to mention, he rests on the perch that is closest to my bed.

So long story short, I have been curious as to what type of Parrotlet he is. Loki, who is a little over two months, I am guessing is some type of Pacific and after talking to someone else who is a Parrotlet owner, she believes he is an Yellow. She owns a Green Pacific and told me how he seemed awfully pale for one, especially with him being a male. Below is his picture and sorry if it is blurry. It was on the first day. Also, thank you to all who help me out. I appreciate it.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: Parrotlet - Species Indentification

Oh wow already before you know it!
    He suits you fine Bridal!
    Especially because you wated a bird or a pet to comfort and soothe you!
    That is so surprising he just needed a little encouragement before he could trust you completely!
    So adorable that little guy!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Yeah he definitely looks like a yellow!

http://www.parrotletranch.com/pictur...mutations.html

Scroll down to see the mutations
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. He is still getting used to me, which I've heard could take a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that he will however.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You have a "beautiful" parrotlet, BridalWreath!! And you certainly had an awesome two days with the little guy. I would say there are many folks who would give anything to have such a bond you have already established with him in TWO DAYS!!?????!!!!! Wow!! Just keep doing what you are because I have a real happy feeling in my heart that Loki is going to be the very best friend ever!! Thanks so much for posting the picture. And please keep on posting pics and giving us updates on Loki!! You are really lucky to have Loki!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He seems to be getting happier and happier. Today he was bouncy around his cage, chipping up a storm while I kept the cage door open. It was also then in which I decided to see if I could train him a bit. I took him into the bathroom and began to teach him "step up". He fought me for a bit, but then, he listened to me and each time he stepped up, I allowed him to have some millet. He seemed to have understood that with each "step up" he was treated and praised. After about an half an hour of training, I decided to try it with him on his cage. At first, he ran a couple of times, as though playing a game. However, when I told him "Loki, face me and step up" he obeyed and did as commanded. I was then able to get him to step up multiple times while in his cage.

I've also cut up some apples and cherries (without the seeds and pits), and see what he thought about it. It seemed as though he liked both but he decided to be a little brat and spit out the cherry at me. o.o Yep, he is a brat alright.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are making GREAT progress!! Keep up the good work!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Today he did very well with his step ups, deciding not to fly away from me at all. I am also thinking about getting him harnessed trained. Does anyone know a good brand to go by for a parrotlet?
    Last edited by BridalWreath; 06-24-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, I'm not real keen on a bird harness, although I've never even tried one on my fids. That is just my own opinion and preference. Have you considered getting a bird carrier for Loki that you could use to take him outside, and or on walks. I've seen some really neat pet carriers on line. Some of them even have wheels just like a piece of luggage that you see in airports. The main goal of course is to be sure it is secure and he can't get out, because even birds that have their wings clipped often times can get lost if they get loose outside. It is soooooo neat that Loki is taking to the training so quickly.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR BIRD TO EAT HIS FRUITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    I try sooooooooooooo harrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my budgies do eat their greens well.....they only except green things they don't eat anything else!

I'm feeding my budgies some weeds that have seeds on 'em and don't worry they are not poisonous i have fed it to many previous budgies and they all looked happy for the next few months so that's GOOD and I'm also feeding parsley...I know if you overload them with parsley they will probably breed which is good for me cause I've always dreamed of breeding my budgies and also....actually I've always dreamed of my budgies accepting each other to breed! they always preen and chirp but they have never tried to breed! Of course I'll be one lucky person if they do breed this Autumn (apparently a good breeding time!) they are in and extremely FABULOUS breeding mood! but obviously it's not good enough for them to try to breed! ............ the whole main purpose of the parsley is for the nutrients not for my budgies to be more likely to breed but for the nutrients!

ooh long message i think!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

I don't even know what nutrients are in that weed!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Britany, I just wanted to say to be very careful about feeding parsley to your budgies. Feeding parsley more than 1-2 times a week could compromise their health. If you go to the Dr. Foster and Smith website (they are Vets), and look for their library/research link, you should be able to find info about feeding birds parsley. And also, I'm hopeful that our Administrator here on Tailfeathers, Marrie, will stop by, and she will give you the information about feeding parsley to your fids.

As to fruits, I've never had much luck in feeding my tiel and budgie some fruits. They just don't seem to be interested in them. Are you feeding your budgies pellets and seeds. If so, then there are plenty of nutrients in that mixture to keep them healthy if they are not eating fruits. And the way you describe the "weeds" you are feeding your budgies, I think it probably is millet.

Of course, if you decide to breed your little budgies, it takes alot of research and information to get started. So if you are planning on doing so in the Autumn, it is probably a great idea if you begin your research as soon as possible, so you will know all of the things you need to do to be successful in breeding them.

I hope this information is of help to you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-25-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'll look into carriers to see what they have. I want something in which he feels comfortable in and is close to me. Whenever he sits on my shoulder, he is always cuddling to the back of my head against my hair. I think he feels a lot safer there.

As for the fruits and veggies, I normally make sure I cut pieces for myself. It is then in which I make sure that I take some bites of it before holding it out to him. If I don't do that, he won't eat it. Yesterday, I fed him some sweet corn, which he seemed to have enjoyed. As for his training, he is still a bit nervous at times, more so when he just gets up in the morning, but he is getting better. I plan on keeping him near me for the majority of the time, that way he gets used to being on me and a bit more comfortable.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Once he gets used to you he will always want to be on your body, or on the back of your neck, or shoulder. Also, most birds love our long hair. Sounds like all is going well with you and Loki!! Keep us posted on your journey with Loki!! And how he likes being in the carrier and/or outside in the carrier.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He is still afraid of my hand, except when he flies to the floor and I have to pick him off. Otherwise, he has been good. Half of the time, I will leave his cage open and he'll fly on my shoulder and just sit close to my neck and groom my hair and.. try to groom my skin, which doesn't work out too well for him. But he is doing a lot better. He lets us know when he wants to be out and he even goes for car rides. Today he got his nails, beak and wings clipped to keep everything well maintained and I think he got unhappy with me. That was until he got the millet.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so happy to hear he is doing well, even taking car rides!! NEAT!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He loves his car rides. I cover up his cage partway so it doesn't get so sunny out for him. But he likes to hand upside down in his carrier and makes noises to the music that is playing. He's also a showoff when he goes to places like Petco/PetSmart. People usually stop me just to see him. It's really weird.

I am hoping to find a new carrier though, one that is a bit bigger than the one he has right now, so he is more comfortable.
    Last edited by BridalWreath; 08-31-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So today I practice doing step ups with the perch, which he did a really good job on. He is still afraid of my hands, even though I give him treats with it and everything. Loki also allows me to pet his beak but when he is done, he lets me know about it. As I said before, he loves to sit on my shoulder and cuddle up against me. He also thinks I am going to groom him with my mouth.. yeah, nice try bucko. Otherwise, he is doing great and isn't that skiddish bird he was in the bird shop.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Patience ALWAYS wins out when it come to bird training, no matter what species you might have. It sounds to me like Loki and you are sure having lots of fun together! Even going to Petsmart/Petco together? Now that is just like taking a "human child" shopping!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Today he did pretty well. Got him to do step ups with cheerios, which he seems to love. After being given a couple of cheerios as a treat, he was able to do step up without it. Yay! Another thing is that I was reading that Well Behaved Parrot book on my kindle and read something about how now is not something most understand and how we should use: be a good bird. So I decided to put that to the test. When he was being a little beast, biting a bit too hard on my skin, I would be: 'Loki, be a good boy' in which he seemed to have understood for he and looked at me. I would also say: 'Loki, step up..' And, although he was a bit hesitant at times, he stepped up onto my hand. The there was the cuddles and the grinding of the beak to let me know he was happy. I swear.. LOL.

Oh, then he decided that he could eat my panini as well. Yeah, that was interesting.