Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Question New behavior....should I be worried?

My cockatiel, Apollo, has recently started napping during the day on the bottom of his cage instead of outside on top. He still tucks one foot under him when he naps, but he just started doing this about three weeks ago or so. His droppings still look normal and he is still eating and so far I haven't seen any other alarming signs showing he may be ill, but I was wondering why he would start hanging around the bottom of his cage when I never seen him do this before. He used to love staying outside of his cage all day long, but now, although he still climbs out and spends some time outside the cage, he seems to perfer staying inside it now....as long as his door remains open. He still sleeps on his perch at night like he always does. I got him in October of last year and I was told he was around 2 years old, but I honestly don't know how old he is. Does anyone here have any thoughts or ideas as to what may have suddenly caused this behavior?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: New behavior....should I be worried?

Cockatiels are "masters" at hiding illnesses. Personally, I would have some concern, as you do, for the change in Apollo's behavior. If I were you, I would call an Avian Vet and make an appointment for a health check-up for Apollo. Even though he isn't showing signs of a definite illness, I think it would be a good idea to have him checked out. And your Vet most probably will be able to estimate Apollo's age too! I also feel that it is a very good idea for all of us bird owners to have an Avian Vet (preferred) or a Vet in our area, available to us in case of an emergency, or just for a wellness checkup for our little fids. Please keep us posted as to how things are going with Apollo.

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment for a check up just to be on the safe side. I think he goes to sit down there because I've been keeping the budgie cage beside his and when he is down there, he is almost level with the perch in their cage that they like to sit on. And I just started keeping them beside his cage fairly recently....maybe around a month and a half or so. He is still acting normal, other than going to the bottom of the cage and tonight I noticed that he was sitting there looking at the budgies on the bottom of the cage and when I turned the light off, he went right up to his perch where he sleeps every night, so he isn't sleeping at the bottom of the cage at night at all. He seems to be okay, but I'm still going to take him to the vet so I will know for sure. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

I hope his ABSOLUTELY FINE!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

One thing I do suggest is purchase a scale. I purchased one online about 10 years ago and I paid around $40. I believe I got it from Amazon and it has a perch mounted on it. Tiels are weighed in grams and any weight loss could be a sign of illness. I weigh Tango each day and he is a pretty big boy. He has been holding steady at about 105 grams. By any chance is your tiel molting? Many times that can contribute to behavior change. Please let us know what your vet says.