Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New as a budgie owner and to this forum.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maureen
    Thanks

Question New as a budgie owner and to this forum.

I took over the care of a budgie about 6 weeks ago from owners that were not so nice. In that 6 weeks there is some improvement with her behaviour, she used to throw herself around, crashing into everything when I put my hand in the cage to clean but now, although still afraid, she just jumps onto the top perch, goes to the far end and watches very carefully. But she is still fearful, you can tell, and each time I go near the cage she panics at first, then slowly relaxes as I talk to her, but any movement will startle her and send her flying to the mirror for support from her 'friend'.
    The previous owner got her in mid February, when I took her she was still very young, still had lines all over her head. (I hoped to add a pic but can't figure it out, sorry.)
    She is green and yellow and I named her Kiwi. Other than a vague memory of a bird in the house when I was little I have no experience with budgies but, even with her lack of affection or interaction, I must say I enjoy her. A week ago I bought home a buddy for her, it bothered me that she seemed to live in fear, I wanted to make her life better. She bullied the poor fellow so badly, attacking him and pulling out feathers, I had to take him back.
    Sorry to be so long-winded, what I want to ask right now is about being on the bottom of the cage. She never would go there unless she fell there in her flights of panic, but the bird that was briefly in the cage walked about down there a bit and she copied him. Since then I often hear her little feet scuffling about but the minute I go near she jumps up onto a perch. But now there is always a little pile of seed in one corner, I don't know if she's house cleaning, regurgitating (do they do that?) or what. She never did it before, is this a sign of a problem? Or is it a normal thing?
    Thanks for any help offered.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maureen
    Thanks

Re: New as a budgie owner and to this forum.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hayley
    Thanks

Hi Maureen

I am no expert but I think it will probably take time for Kiwi to adjust and learn to trust again. Given that you say she was not treated well previously, it is not surprising that she appears frightened at the moment. You are certainly doing the right thing in reasurring her and talking to her - animals are so forgiving and i'm sure that, given time, she will realise that you really are trying to look after her and will not hurt her.

It is not the worst idea getting a buddy for her but it may be worth keeping them in separate cages to start with. If she is already quite scared, it may not have helped putting another budgie in with her straight away; she may have felt threatened and this may be why she bullied him. I have been advised myself to keep budgies separate for a while before putting them in together so perhaps you could try this.

With regards to her scratching around on the floor and possible regurgitation; it may be worth getting her checked out at a vets to be certain that she does not have any medical issues. Vomiting can be a sign of disease so it is always best to be on the safe side. This could also be behavioural considering how she may have been treated in the past but I would take her to a vet as soon as you can - this will ease your mind too.

I don't know if I have been any help but i sincerely hope that little Kiwi gets better, learns to trust you and becomes a very happy bird

Keep us posted
    Hayley

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Awww! Kiwi is just precious!! Hayley gave you some very valuable information. Patience will always win for any person who has a new little fid, so just hang in there with Kiwi, and I could just bet you two will be "best buds" before very long. And I also agree it would be a great idea to take Kiwi to an Avian Vet or a Vet for a checkup. Keep us posted about Kiwi and come back often and share pics too!

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Oh Kiwi looks just like my Green!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

file:///C:/Users/Lay/Desktop/Blue%20and%20Green%20=0).jpg
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

That's link of my budgie Blue and Green....but.....Blues gone
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maureen
    Thanks

Thanks everyone

Name
    britany
    Thanks

np
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

oh wait here's a proper link i think...

file:///C:/Users/Lay/Desktop/Blue%20and%20Green%20=0).jpg
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gaby
    Thanks

Hi guys: I don't know how to start a topic anyway im also new here and I have 2 budgies . they are 5 months and 6 months old. Im concerned i have had them for more than a month and they still do not want to be held . they do not go on my finger and everytime it near their cage they act affraid i don't know what to do because i see all this videos of happy sweet budgies who are very funny and sweet to their pet owners..and my budgies are not .... I don't know what to do .. any advice ??

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Hi Gaby, welcome and I also live in Mexico. There are many postings here about new birds and the patience required to become friends, the time it takes for them to become comfortable with their new surroundings and to get over the natural fear that they have at first. Read them and you will gain much knowledge and understanding which will help you and your birds. I have had my cockatiel, Pepe, for three months and he still has some fear of my fingers, but I see the progress he makes everyday so I don't push him to give me more than he's ready to give. We would love the see photos of your new little friends and ask for advice anytime.

Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Loads of good training tips out there. But I would start with a piece of spray millet. Offer them a bite. Then slowly over time see if they will put one foot on your hand to reach it. Then all the way onto your hand.

You might also try this with a mirror. Once you get that first trust level it all gets a lot easier.

Remove Ads