Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Fireworks

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Fireworks

The 4th of July holiday is quickly approaching and that also means fireworks. In my neighborhood, people have been shooting them off since the end of May and it has been quite disturbing. From bottle rockets, firecrackers, M-80's and many others that have a great big boom. All this noise happens well after I put my fid in for the night. My biggest fear is Tango having a night fright. Right now, I do leave a night light on in his room and play music at a very low volume for white noise. So far it seems to be working. As of now, he still has not had a night fright, but I think I'm having them when the big booms going off at 2:00 am

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Fireworks

I know. I hate the 4th, always have. When I was a kid, we didn't have birds, but our dogs would freak at fireworks so I spent pretty much all month comforting our dogs and having them panting/drooling in fear in my bed. Now I have a bird and 2 buns who don't like loud noises. I run an air purifier to help drown out the noise for the bird and he doesn't have night frights too much with them, but the buns spook. Hope your fid gets through without a night fright!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think having something near them making noise is a great idea, a air purifier sounds like it would make the perfect noise for a bird prone to night frights. Marie there is something called Bachs rescue remedy that could work for the buns. They make a formula for animals and maybe it can be used for your bunnies to keep them calm. Birds are so delicate that I dont know if I would use it for them just because I would be too afraid of giving them too much. My neighbors dog is terrified of thunder so when she knew a storm was coming she would give it to her big dog and he would be nice and calm even through some of the wild thunderstorms we have here.

I LOVE the 4th of July, it is one of my favorite holidays and the bigger the fireworks the better for me. But I was born on the 4th of the July and was told as a baby they were celebrating my birthday so of course I love fireworks
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I hope you have a very Happy Birthday Deanna!!! What a wonderful day to have your birthday fall on. I was born on Thanksgiving day, not telling what year.. LOL!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanksgiving day is a good day too because friends and family get together on that day as well so why not throw in a B-day cake for you. We are camping out at Lake Tahoe this year to watch the big fireworks display over the lake and Carissa and her boyfriend will be with us so it will be a great birthday.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Deanna, bunnies are about as sensitive as birds, so can't use most things for them either their digestive tracts are so unique that it's easy to give them upset tummy or blockage, which leads to a complete digestion shut down. Even a little gas can lead to GI stasis.

Hope you have a great birthday Deanna, that is a fun day to have your birthday on. Always a party to go to!

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I was very worried about the 4th, since we can see/hear 3 different fireworks displays from our place (we live near the border of 3 towns ). I was most worried about Earl (being new).

A few nights ago, one of our neighbors went off the deep end, and the police were using flash bangs, bullhorns, etc.. Long story short... it was a noise filled 6 hours. The birds and cat were all quiet for about 2 minutes after each flash bang... then went right back to eating, sleeping, etc. So... I feel a little better about the 4th. Maybe some Looney Tunes will help out!! Earl loves Bugs Bunny.

Oh... Happy B-Day Deanna.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy your birds and you are OK after what happened in your neighborhood the other night. That must of been scary for all of you. Earl is a funny bird liking loony tunes and I am happy your finding out what he likes and dont like these days.

I didnt know bunnies were that delicate Marie so just like birds you couldnt use the Bach's to keep them calm. It works wonders for dogs and cats.

Thanks for the B-day wishes, I am getting so excited to see the big fireworks in Tahoe... not so excited about my birthday because that means I am one year older then I am today.