Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

My beloved ZoZo passed away on June 27, 2012

I know I have not been on the forum in a while. I was sick, computer crashed and nothing but a comedy of errors for months.

The beginning of March, ZoZo started a molt and they always seem to be hard on him. I noticed ZoZo’s droppings changed. They became watery with a lime green coloring with some undigested seed present and he no longer wanted seed. ZoZo was a seed junky, but his diet was supplemented with various fruits, vegetables and meats. He was not a picky eater. Needless to say, I immediately took him to the vet. His weight was good, feathers good; nares, eyes and vent clear. Vet did a gram stain and only positive bacteria was present. ZoZo was put on a regimen of SMZ-TMP. His droppings returned to normal but he no longer wanted seed. He wanted egg noodles, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. He was maintaining his weight and seemed to be back to his normal, goofy self. My vet said to give him what he wanted as long as it was healthy. I guess my Avian Vet was suspecting a serious condition, but hoping it wasn’t every Bird Owner’s worst nightmare. Now in hindsight, all ZoZo wanted was easily digestible foods. I guess I should also mention that he still loved his chicken and pork and would tear it up when I made it for dinner.

On June 26, 2012, my worst fears came to light. ZoZo was fine all day on Tuesday until about 8:30 pm. It was as if a light switch was turned on. Zo was sitting with my husband in another room. My husband came and got me to say that he believes something is wrong with Zo. I took ZoZo into another room with me. He seemed a little off and sleepy. I let him sleep on me when he started to vomit mucous. This was 9:30pm.

After that, he then became wobbly when he walked. He flew out to his eating station and tried to eat some egg noodles. He then started to walk and it appeared as if he was drunk. Instead of his cage, he wanted to sit on one of his favorite places and nap so I allowed it as not to stress him. I put his cage in my bedroom as to keep a watch of him until I could get him to the vet in the morning.
    Around midnight, ZoZo vomited mucous again. I tried to put him on his platform perch, which is where he prefers to sleep, but he kept climbing to his higher perch. Around 1:30am he was agitated. I jumped out of bed and I was lucky to catch him before he fell off his perch. I placed him on my down comforter and covered him with a towel. He then laid down and breathing became quicker and labored. My husband started talking to him and gently petting his head. I still had some SMZ-TMP but as I was trying to administer it, it was as if Zo could not fully open his beak. His beak was partially opened and I was able to get some of the medicine in. My husband continued to talk to him, while I tried to get in touch with my Avian Vet.

Needless to say I couldn’t reach my vet, so I called the emergency number begging them to get in touch with my vet or giving me his home number. Of course no avian vet is on call and they stated they did not have his personal number. They gave me other vets to try and of course no avian vet on call and yet they all agreed that he should be seen by one. I must have called over 20 vets/animal hospitals in a 150 mile radius to no avail. I was frantic and desperately trying to relay the urgency in a vet seeing my baby.

In the meantime, my baby’s condition is deteriorating and all we can do is keep him calm until my avian vet arrives in his office around 9:00 am. At 5:00 am, Zo can no longer hold his head up, he is flat with his legs splayed behind him and his wings laid out flat and his head down. It appeared to me that paralysis set in. My husband then held him on his chest, with a towel over him while we continued to talk softly to him promising we were trying to get him help.

At 6:00 am, ZoZo had a seizure. I then administered a little more SMZ. At 7:15 am, we packed up Zo and headed to the vet hoping that someone would be in early. We arrived at the vet’s a little after 8:00 am and fortunately, the receptionist was in early. Stated she received my messages and contacted the Vet. He immediately saw ZoZo and I knew it was not good. ZoZo was still breathing but pretty much unresponsive. The Vet put him in an aquarium with a heating pad and oxygen. He stated he was going to give him an injection of baytril but we were only looking at a 10% chance of Zo surviving. The vet told me to call at 2:00 pm for an update.

We reluctantly went home to try to get a few hours of sleep as we had now been up for 27 hours. I dozed off for a half hour when my vet called with the bad news. Even with the antibiotic injection, his breathing was still labored and getting faster, he then had another seizure for which he was given valium. His breathing continued to get more labored and quicker until his poor little system could not handle it and he passed away at approximate 10:40 am on June 27, 2012.

My vet then performed a necropsy with my approval and called me at 8:00 pm with the results. ZoZo died as a result of PDD – Parrot Wasting Disease.

In hindsight, I suspected this diagnosis from when he took ill in March. He was the best pet and friend anyone could wish for. Our hearts are breaking and tears will not stop flowing. RIP my dearest love and may you fly with the angels! We miss you!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: My beloved ZoZo passed away on June 27, 2012

Oh no I am so sorry to hear about ZoZo - he had you to comfort him while he was sick that night and I am sure he knows you did everything you could. They hide illnesses well, even from vets, so sometimes there is just not much that we can do but be there for them. Try to keep your good memories of him. *hugs* Fly free little ZoZo.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

Thank you Marie. I keep playing everything over and over again in my head. The only indication was when he became ill in March and only then the signs were his droppings and he no longer wanted seed. As soon as I saw the change in droppings, I took him to the vet and he checked out good with the exception of the droppings, but they changed quickly back to normal. He was not vomiting nor losing weight. Only that he no longer wanted seeds, but he was still an exceptional eater. But in hindsight, I realized he just wanted easily digestible foods.

The one thing the Vet pointed out to me the other night was that there was a dramatic drop in his weight. I must admit that I was negligent in weighing him for little more than a week, but he was eating and no appearance of weight lose. My daughter used to call him "Fat Birdie" because he was not a picky eater. We knew that when we were eating, he too was sharing! I can only assume that the weight loss happened quickly from when he took ill on Tuesday Evening and that is what has me filled with regret. But I know I cannot play the "IF" game.

ZoZo was happy and loved and we reciprocated it back ten fold. It is hard to stomach that we only got to share 4 happy years together.

Thank you for your kind words.

May ZoZo fly free with the Angels.

Bobbi

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so sorry. Bobbi, that you lost your precious ZoZo. I commend you and your husband for doing everything possible during those last several hours before you got him to the vet. You made him comfortable, gave him some meds, and also kept him from being so afraid. It is a terrible experience to lose your birds, no matter what kind they might be. Yes, birds are very intelligent when it comes to hiding their illnesses. And you also can realize that ZoZo may have had some genetic disorder, or even had the beginning of this disease before you homed him.

Fly high and free, ZoZo, over the Rainbow Bridge! I'm sending you a big hug today, Bobbi! Be good to yourself and let yourself grieve, because in my mind, losing a little fid is just like losing a family member.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

Thank you for your kind words Ellen. I believe he probably contracted the disease before he adopted me when he was six weeks old and that the disease laid dormant until now. We tried to do everything humanly possible to provide comfort to him in his last hours. My husband and daughter was devastated when he passed and we still feel like we are living in a nightmare, but I know time does heal old wounds. Right now, the silence in the house is deafening.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart aches for you because I can tell ZoZo was part of your family and his loss will felt for a very long time. What you and your husband did for him in his last hours just makes me cry because I cant even imagine your pain and fear seeing him like this. He knew you loved him and he was with both of you when he needed you the most. What a awful disease to steal him away from you that fast but it least he was smart enough to know what to eat and what not to eat. Bless his sweet loving heart for bringing so much love and happiness into your house. Big hugs to you and your family, it is hard to lose a family member like your precious ZoZo.

Fly free ZoZo, your were very much loved and will be missed forever.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

Deanna, thank you for those kind and supporting words. It was absolutely heart-wrenching and terrifying to see my precious ZoZo in that condition. I felt absolutely helpless, but now I am glad that no vets were available to see him. This way he spent his last hours with his family that loved him dearly instead of with strangers. I just hope and pray that they find a cure for this horrible disease because I do not want another family to have to endure this.

Thank you again.

May ZoZo fly free with the Angels!

Bobbi

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Bobbi,
    I am so sorry to hear about ZoZo. You and your husband did everything possible during his last several hours with you. Many of us understand the pain you are feeling. I have lost two tiels myself within the past two years and I still miss them both dearly. ZoZo brought you and your family so much joy. A joy that can never be erased. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Again, my condolences to you and your husband and I'm sending you hugs..

Fly Free ZoZo.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

Thank you Carolyn. The pain of losing a cockatiel is heart-wrenching, no matter what the cause. 14 years ago I lost my Freddy that I had for 17.5 years and it still feels as if it was yesterday. I used to always tell ZoZo that he would have liked Freddy.

I am truly sorry for your loss also, but I know your tiels had a wonderful Mommy in you.

The pain of losing ZoZo is still debilitating but trying to go on. I am just now dealing with an emotional dilemma; do I contact the breader to inform them that ZoZo passed of PDD and that I believe he was a carrier and living with this for 4 years or not. I know that once PDD is suspected they will at times euthanize the flock to stop the spread and many instances they are killing healthy birds. Or don't call, then possibly help to perpetuate this disease and put another person through this. I just don't know what to do.

Thank you again for your kind words. Everyone has been wonderful and the emotional support helps.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would call the breeder and hope he stops breeding until he know if it came from his birds or not. You are not only saving the breeders flock but lots of other birds from this grief as well. Other people may have lots of birds that could be infected if they buy just one of the breeders birds. The breeder may not like what you are saying to them so prepare to hear them deny it came from them but I think it is well worth making that call. I would wait awhile just so your not too emotional because I think just talking to the breeder may make you get very emotional especially if he says it didnt come from his birds.

After what you went through the last night your emotions must a mess right now. The fear of losing them is something so gut wrenching and then to not find a vet right then must of made it worse because you had no help for him. There were many times when I thought boomer was going to die before I got him to the vet and somehow he always made it there and they fixed him up and he came home. He was so sick in the end that I gave him his peace and he died in my daughters hands at the vets office and we "almost" felt relief knowing he had no more pain. Just the fear that you felt on ZoZo's last night is enough to make anyone go crazy and your right it is good you were there with him then because he was with the people he loved the most. Still sending you many hugs and we are here for you because we know your pain.

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

Thank You Deanna. My heart breaks for you. I know you went through hell and back with doing everything you could for boomer and the emotional rollercoaster you and your family went through. We told our Avian Vet that if he could help ZoZo to spare no expense. We would have mortgaged our house if that is what it took to help him. But knowing the horrible disease that he had, I am glad my baby is at rest now.

Right now we cannot stand to be in the house because it is too quite without our baby. Even though our hearts are shattered from losing ZoZo, we could not fathom what the last four years would have been like without our little goof ball. If we could go back in time, even knowing what the outcome was going to be, we still would have brought him home with us. He brought so much love and happiness into our lives. We just wish we had more time with him than just four short years.

Fly Free with the Angels my beloved ZoZo!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

With each pet that dies I think our hearts grow weaker because I know mine was crushed when boomer died. I am OK now and cherish the life we had here with boomer because just like with ZoZo the joy and love they bring into your house will never be forgotten. ZoZo died too young but it least he had a great life with your family and your family will forever cherish his life. The end is hard to face and the end haunts us sometimes but you got to think of the love that was there even in the end. My family found comfort in doing things outside of the house after boomer died. I like to think they are up there watching over us and they dont want us to feel the pain we feel when they die. Instead we need to be happy for the love they brought into our homes. If you havent read this poem you need to read it because the words will comfort you. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird

Fly free ZoZo...

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

That is a very sad story regarding your bird. You and your husband were with him and observed all of his health condition. You did the best you could under the conditions regarding emergency medical illness. A seizure makes it hard to think as you see your bird have one as it is very scary and serious to see. In large cities, there can be found emergency pet places that open when regular vets are closed, at least they do in San Francisco.Even if there is immediate care, does not mean bird will last until you get there. I once lined up an appoint at a bird hospital for a very sick budgie, and when I got off the phone to check on the bird, he gave me a really sweet look and then passed away.