Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Question One male and three females= probably mating...

I have one male- Cobalt- and my other three parakeets are females. Cobalt will dance/sing and feed all three of them but none of them have really showed any intrest before. Sometimes they would put up with it or get fed up and turn their head away/fly away. But, the other day, one of my females started dancing/singing and feeding HIM.

He was doing it to her but when she started to do it to him he suddenly lost intrest and looked kinda scared, scooting away from her and slicking his feathers down so he looked really small.

Do females serenade males as well, or does this mean Dawn, who I beleived to be female, is actually a male?

Anyways...what does this mean? Is cobalt getting "cold feet" lol?

Please and Thanks!
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: One male and three females= probably mating...

Sometimes, female budgies will mimic male behavior and visa versa. Unless you are positively sure you have one male and three females, it is difficult to know if the behavior you witnessed is preliminary behavior to mating. And so far, you don't know if you have a pair! Just keep your eye on them, and in time you will know for sure. And further, they may "flirt" with each other, but not be "attracted" to each other, and mating just might not be in the "tea leaves"!

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

thanks!(: i know for sure that Cobalt is a male as his cere is bright blue, and my other three parakeets have dark brown ceres, so I'm am pretty sure they are females. They quarrel sometimes, too lol(:

Thanks again!
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it sounds to me like you do have 3 females and a male. It is not unusual for them to "spar" on occasion. At one time I had nine budgies. . . . 4 males and 1 female. (and later on, 4 baby budgies) I thought I had all males until one day when I was out running errands and came back home, all of them had got into a fight, Pete, my oldest male had a sprained foot and toe, and there were feathers all over everywhere, inside and outside the cage. I didn't have a clue why they were fighting like this. In a few days, I found Nicki, the yellow male and Buttercup the green female together, mating, so I then found out what all of the fuss was about. I immediately took them out of the cage they all shared together, and put them in a separate cage, put in a nesting box, and soon after putting the box in the cage,, I had the sweetest 4 little baby budgies you could ever imagine . . . 2 were light yellow, like Dad, and 2 were green like Mom. I had purchased the four males about 2 years before the female. And it was almost a year after I got her that one of the males finally got attracted to her. So, if you really are hoping that one day one of your females will be attracted to the male, don't lose heart. It can happen.