Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Looking for someone to talk to...

My cockatiel, Babykins, had a prolapse on Monday afternoon. Took her to the vet and he kept her for two days; how I missed her. I have had her almost 9 years and she is an absolute beauty, inside and out. The sweetest little girl in the world. The doc sent me home with meds, and I am giving them to her, but I feel so anxious - I seriously feel like I dont know what I am doing and am worried I will do something to make her worse. I am so out of my element!!

A friendly chat with someone that knows and understands birds would be welcome.

Thanks!

A

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Looking for someone to talk to...

Having been there I know how you feel.
    If your vet is an A.V. I would listen to what he tells you to do.
    Unfortunately my Roxy did not survive the operation and passed away on the operating table.
    I take it she had the prolapse from chronic egg laying?

keep her warm and as still as possible for now. If you do not have anything you can use as a incubator. You can use a low wattage bulb on the side of the cage and cover some of the cage to give her warmth and stop any drafts.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your message and your words of encouragement. I am so sorry about your Roxy, please accept my condolances and my prayers for you both. I feel so fortunate - Baby is still here and sitting in her cage. I am completely blessed to still have her here.

Baby was egg bound last year - 3 eggs that wouldnt pass. She was able to finally expell them, but it was a close thing and her AV had sent her home to pass. Luckily, she passed the eggs and was able to recover really well. I was so close to losing her, that I have taken all of the precautions you read on the net... she goes to bed early, she sleeps late, I am careful where I touch her (no back, wings or legs). When she gets a little too friendly with a toy, it gets replaced with another so that I am always rotating them through. The AV seems to think that this prolapse was caused by some kind of bacterial infection. Actually, he was suprised that she survived the egg binding. They took x-rays and could find no evidence of an egg. He did find a "dense area", which could be the bacterial infection. She will be re x-rayed in 3 months to verify that there is no tumor or mass.

In Baby's case, there was no need for surgery. The prolapse happened and I got her to the AV right away. He was able to push the prolapse back (4 re-occurances) while she was in the birdie hospital without having to do surgery - at least there are no stiches. He has prescribed 2 different kinds of antibiotics until the cultures come back with a definitive bacterial positive. Geesh, well I guess I just needed to vent.....

Thanks so much for replying and for sharing Roxy's story with me, and for listening when I needed another "bird person" to speak with. I am very sorry that you lost her, but your other birds are beautiful and must bring you joy.

Thanks again!!!!

A

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

So happy to hear Baby is doing well. I also have a chronic egg layer. She is a little over a year old. I've been fortunate so far, that I haven't had any egg binding with her nor the prolapse problem, and like you, I try everything I can to keep her from getting that "nesting" thing in her mind. The information you shared was very helpful to me. I hope Baby will continue to get better every day and that you won't have this problem again.

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie, for your post and support. I am reading everything I can find about tiels... Even though I have had Baby 9 years, I am always learning something new. They are very complex little creatures. I just feel so inatequate sometimes, and of course, she is so much more than a pet. Very hard to explain..... From experience, putting Baby to bed early and letting her sleep late (at least 12 hours) along with the othe things I mentioned, helps a lot with her hormonal instinct to lay eggs. It's not perfect, but it does help.

I have no idea where she picked up a bacterial infection. I am still stumped as to what happened. My thought is that I had taken her to her breeder for a wing trim and nail clipping and possibly she had a bird earlier that was ill and she didnt know it. It just seemed too strange that she had gotten sick so quickly, but I dont know. Please dont think I am placing blame, because she would never do anything to endanger any of the birds - its just something that happened. We are getting through, baby is much the same this morning. Preening away in her cage. Just trying to keep her warm and quiet.

Thanks so much!

A

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

The one good thing about Bird Boards is that we are all Birds Lovers.
    And that helps those who seek advice.

I am not sure if I should explain why Roxy did not make it?
    It was my bad to some extent as I failed to notice her wet bum area was blood not from where she had been soaking in the bird pool.
    It is one of the issues with having them flying free! I cannot stand in front of the cage and have a good look at them.
    What Roxy had done, was tear herself around her bottom, so she had lost a good amount of blood and was too weak to take the anesthetic and operation. I kicked myself for ages over that.
    As the guys are most excellent flyers I have to chase them with a net to catch them. And you can guess the pandemonium that cause's. they all know what the net means. Lucky for me they get over it very quickly. But I will only take one of them out of the air, if I feel there is good reason to do so.

I forgot to ask you if any of the eggs she laid was soft shell or overly large.
    It sounds like she is doing alright and if you are lucky this eggy thing will be seasonal, so as you move more towards winter her body should tell her it is the wrong time to make babies.
    It is hard to put them to bed early when we love them so much?
    I dislike winter as sometimes I get home and my guys are well tucked up for the night. And I am away before they are up and around in the morning weekdays. But i do get home some days for lunch or finish early, so I can make sure they are well fed and have fresh water.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I don't think we, as bird lovers, blame any one person for illnesses and or emergencies that may happen to our babies. I also like to be on-line doing research about tiels, and I have read that sometimes they have a bacterial infection that lays dormant for a long time. In fact, they might pick it up at the breeders when first hatched, or they also can get it at the pet shops. In the past few days, there is a post from a lady who just lost her little tiel to "Parrot Wasting", and she didn't have any idea that is what was happening to that little guy. Yes, tiels are very unique, and I agree that sometimes they do stump us as to what is going on with them. But, as Clive has said in other posts, they "love us", just as much as "we love them". And they are sooooooo very intelligent.

I agree about having to cover them so early at night, especially in the winter months when the days are shorter. I'm lucky to be retired so I don't have to leave home early in the a.m. I do think covering Ollie early helps her, and definitely putting her in a new and different cage which is larger, as well as rearranging her toys has been a huge help. I truly am blessed to have my little budgie, Muffin, and my little tiel, Ollie. My life would be empty each day without them.

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Clive - What happened to you and your Roxy could have happened to any of us. Please dont blame yourself - It was not your bad. It happens; we do the best we can as care givers. Sometimes bad things happen and maybe we just dont know at that moment in time why. I can tell you what I believe: I believe that when your time comes to leave this earth, be it animal or human, that it is your time. We can fight it with medical science and sometimes that works - and sometimes it doesnt. Your Roxy knew she was loved and loved you in return. It is the greatest gift we can give each other. To an extent, your experience has assisted me in this time of worry and anxiety, and you will ultimately do the same for others, because of Roxy's and your experience. Your message was a lifeline, at a time when I had gone a little crazy with worry.

When she was egg bound there were three eggs. 2 of them she passed from a perch - meaning that they broke upon hitting the bottom of her cage. The shells were thin. The third and last egg was laid while she was on the bed with me. I noticed her tensing up and looked down and found she had laid the egg. The egg itself looked as it if were the correct shape, but again the egg was very thin - I had grabbed a tissue to pick it up and it collapsed. This did not suprise the AV at all since there was no way that Baby had the Calcium to be able to fully shell 3 eggs, but at least it did not crack or collapse inside of her. Thank Goodness!

The time of year doesnt seem to matter here in California. Baby's first clutch of eggs was laid Christmas Day. Up until then, we thought she was a male. Of course, I was just told she was a male, and I didnt have her DNA sexed. When we saw the first egg, we knew that we had a female. That time she laid 5 eggs and was a very protective Mama. When she lost interest, I removed the eggs and until the egg binding, she did not have another clutch. The vet tells me that in the next couple of years she should stop laying, due to her age. We will see. I certainly hope that is the case.

Thank you doesnt seem adequate, but I will thank you yet again or your kindness and sharing your story.

A

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Ellen

I agree - Like I said I dont blame my breeder, I dont blame anyone, really. That doesnt keep me from feeling guilt that my Baby-girl is feeling badly and had a bad experience. I guess you get used to them being well all of the time. I guess I have been extremely lucky. Baby's health has always been good, except for the egg binding. She is bright, strong, sweet, intensly curious and just a love bug. She snuggles up underneath my chin and makes her sweet little chirps asking for scratches. She brings me peace and will never leave me until God calls her or me home.

I am glad to hear that you too have experienced that putting them to bed earlier and letting them sleep later helps with the hormones. I work from home, so it is easy for me to let her sleep as late as she likes. She lets out a big yell when she is ready to have the blanket removed so that she can welcome the day.

I am so happy that Muffin and Ollie give you love and life! My life too would be an emptier without Baby. The two days without her this week were a different kind of torture, knowing she was ill and away from home. But she was where she needed to be and I am at peace with that. I am just glad she is home now and getting better!

Thank you Ellen for your kindness and for sharing your love of birds with me. I truly appreciate it!

A

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

She is doing better tonight! She even spread her wings and was manteling for a while. It was like she was giving me a hug. I am so very blessed.

A