Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

oil burning stoves?

Have been invited on holiday to somewhere with a "Traditional cast iron oil fired burner"

The dog's coming, and I suspect my lovebird might too. I'm not sure what else to do with him. He could maybe go to a friends - although I don't know if he'd be welcome for a whole week... or I could board him (but I've never done this before... and I'm not sure I like the idea of it. He needs attention, and he's only a little lovebird. In a house with bigger birds it might not be great...)

So... any thoughts on little birds and oil fired stoves? (I think I know the answer to this, but am questioning myself as I'm sure I've heard of members using oil/kerosene lamps to keep their fids warm during snow storms and power cuts...)

Incidently - it's self catering and my pots and pans will be coming too. Don't care how much room they take up, I have a hatred of any and all things non-stick!

And chances are he'd be in another room, or upstairs - depending on the cottage that's been rented. If that makes any difference...?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Re: oil burning stoves?

So is the heat a oil stove? Burn a type of high grade diesel? The cabin I'm living in has a Oil Drip heater that burns high grade diesel and Zeus does fine. I would go through and make sure that the stove is sealed completely just in case but the fumes and gasses from burning it should all leave the cabin and not leak inside from the stove. I would also make sure it doesn't have anything spilled on it that could be toxic if overheated or burned.

Not sure if the official ruling from a vet would be the same but thats what I know.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Difficult as it's a holiday cottage.. but thanks.
    All I know is that it's a oil fired burner. Whatever that means.

I'm hoping it will be nice and warm and we won't need any heating!

thanks for the heads up tho.
    Out of interest... what is Zeus? He's a big guy isn't he?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Zeus is a bear eyed cockatoo. The only thing it seems you can really do is make sure the bird doesn't fly into the heater as it will be hot if it is on and that there are no air leaks for smoke.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Oh... flying near it won't be an issue. He won't be out in the room if the heater's on. Simple as.
    I'll just keep him to the bedrooms. (this is where having a small bird has it's advantages - they can get pretty decent exercise in a bedroom - whereas the bigger guys need way more room!)

Not to mention the dog thing. I trust Rolo - he doesn't bother birds in the garden, and hasn't shown any interest in Sammy when he's escaped (should not have been able to get that far in a collar and clipped!) but I also know that one of his parents at least was bred for hunting for generations. It would only take one moment in which he forgot himself for a disaster.

It was more fumes I was worried about.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Oil burning stoves seem more popular in the states than over my side of the pond. I really have no experience with them at all

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

hello im sintheas Bf im hoping this helps when you are there just make sure your bird doesnt go to close to it it does get hot if it is on though as long as they are burning deisil #1 it should be fine it burn a lot brighter hoter but also clelaner it is also the 2nd heaviest fuel so it doesnt gell up but all heating is is a hydrocarbon stran it starts from methan CH4 and gets heavier from there C6H11 i think is when it goes from a gas to a liquid and gasoline is the first liquid that is why it evapoates so quickly but the heavier it is the long the fumes stay around and the more deadly it is so just make sure that the smoke stack they use lets pretty much all the smoke out and that they dont have any extra fuel sitting in the bottom of the burnner if it is off. after a certain distance away from the fume it gets harder to tell its there if there is a lot of activity but your little birdy can still smell it since i know it can cause nasia (not sure if im speeling that correctly) headaches illness and fainting and dizzy spells when exposed to it for to long in humans who knows what it could do to a little bird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

Sorry if i babbled to much about the fuel thing :/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

make sure if they clean the carbon build up (there if they are using the stove) ( i know some people actually turn it off and vacuum the carbon build up out here) make sure they just turn it all the way up for a few hours instead to burn it away carbon build up to humans in the air is minimal to health problems and is so fine you cant tell its there but i know to a bird it is very deadly

Brand New Egg
    Name
    James Calvin
    Thanks

birds breathing in carbon build up is much like a human breathing in volcano ash a small bit wont harm you just make your throught really itching till you saliva can clear the glass from it out but a lot of it can tear things on the inside apart. I hope this doesnt prevent you from going on holiday with friends really as long as everything is done the way it should be it will be 100% okay just those risks are there its like going bunjee jumping know that for the most part you are 100% fine but then that thought in the back of your head wonders "what if the bunjee snaps?"