Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Surprise, Surprise

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Surprise, Surprise

I came home from shopping and of course I looked for Pepe first thing. He wasn't in or on his cage and then I saw him on his climbing net. Way up high. Sitting there like he does it everyday, but this was the first time he did it on his own or climbed so high. I started clicking off pictures and then he flew across the room. Sorry Pepe, but your new flight feathers had to go.

Where's the bird?

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: Surprise, Surprise

oooh soooooo adorable

he must be enjoying his new toys VERy much!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Now, Mom . . . . . Why did you clip my flight feathers???? I was just getting used to climbing those ropes to the top!! Sunny, he is one "handsome Pepe"!! You sure are brave to give Pepe all the freedom he has while you are not home. There are a couple of folks who lost their tiels to some unexpected accidents while they were not at home with them. One of them got ahold of a piece of metal or staple and ate it. That bird was rushed to the Avian Vet, and the vet took an x-ray of its stomach. He could not save the bird. Another person came home, excited to see the tiel, only to open the door and the tiel flew out the door and the person could never find it.

Keep those pics coming. Pepe has such a special little face. A special little baby for sure!!

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Yes, there is always a risk. As of yet, Pepe isn't very adventurous, especially on the floor. He's still very timid in new situations and hates it on the floor so he kind of hides in a corner until I pick him up. I live alone and my house is cleaned every week so there's nothing really on the floor for him to find. I have always had bird rooms with cages and several gyms. My amazon, grey, goffins cockatoo, sun conure and tiels played all day on the gyms, but the lovebird could fly and had a little birdhouse hung from the ceiling for sleeping. Outside I had a large aviary on the covered patio. The neighbors sent the cops twice on Sundays so we talked and I ageed to keep the birds quiet until 10 on the weekends. I kept the drapes drawn and the room darkened with the windows closed which kept the birds napping in their cages. No more problems. Thankfully, in Mexico there's no such thing as too much noise. Roosters are crowing and the burro next door is braying. The dogs run free and my landlord has four amazon parrots on the pool patio he uses for his office that can out be quite loud very often especially when the flock of wild amazons are around. No one complains about his neighbors here. The party music will go on until three in the morning and if you can't sleep you are welcome to join the party. They strictly adhere to "Live and let live." Besides next week you may want to have a party, rooster, or burro.

I'm hoping Pepe will be content to play on his gym and net without exploring the rest of the house and I'll keep his new flight feathers clipped after they grow out. I had him clipped, but three feathers grew out on one wing and one on the other. I was waiting to make sure there wouldn't be any blood before clipping him again. I was pleased when I put my finger down to him and said "up" and he walked over and stepped up which was another first. I always had to chase and corner him before he would step up before. Progress, slow but sure.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He sure looks proud of himself sitting up there on the top of his climbing net. He is a gorgeous tiel Sunny!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads