Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

canary nesting help

Newbie here.
    I inherited a canary which was a male and decided to get another male for company. However it turns out the second bird was a hen and has just begun nesting. 1 egg laid on July 7th and the second egg on july 8th.

I could do with some advice on what to do next, for example do I need to change their diet? At the moment the birds are on a standard mixed feed, with a cuttlebone.

Apologies for appearing a bit of a doofus but this was unexpected, so I am not entirely sure of the next steps

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: canary nesting help

You did not give enough information to correctly answer your question. No worries about the newbie aspect, we all start somewhere; the important part is asking questions. First where do you live, climate is important to know. Second is where did you get the bird from, meaning the one now laying? If you are in the US it should not be laying at this time. I would highly recommend you let her finish laying, and sit for a few days, then pull the eggs and nest. Canaries will lay an egg each day until the clutch is complete. This can be from 2 to 6 eggs, average is 4. She may be way out of whack and be broody because she finally feels safe and has a mate or where she comes from has her whole system upside down. If she continues to try and lay, give her back the nest and remove all eggs and replace them with fake eggs or marbles. She won’t know the difference and canaries can’t count so two is fine. Birds, especially canaries are sensitive to light, temperature and food. All will change her internal cycle. If she came from a large box store she is most likely out of cycle. These places turn on the lights at 8am to get ready to open and turn them off after closing at sometimes 11pm. They also keep the temperature in the range comfortable to us which are also perfect temps for the birds to lay. The other factors like food, she now could be getting more and not fighting other birds, thus sharing, so the food quantity as well as quality may also be adding to her laying. The truth is she should not be laying now but her body should be telling her it is time for the molt. Please get a book or go on line and read as much as you can about canary breeding. This will discuss all the aspects involved in what causes their bodies to enter into breeding/laying. These aspects will then make more sense when you then read as much as you can about the birds going into the molt. Right now she should be going into the molt not starting to lay. My advice is the same, let her lay her eggs, sit for a few days and remove all from her. If she goes back to laying in a food dish or floor, put the nest back and pull eggs and give her fake ones so she can get this out of her system. She should move into molt after that and reset her clock. If she is in a room with light after the sun goes down, invest in something to cover it, or move her to a place with less light. Normal cycle outside trigger breeding, at around 14 hours of daylight the birds will come into condition to breed, at 15 they start shutting off the breeding. When the light again starts to drop, they definitely go into molt. This is a lot I know but also a very huge over generalization, so please read up on both breeding cycle and molt so you know what they both are and how to assist her get into a normal life cycle. I say this not because of her laying but mostly because she needs to be readying for molt. If she does not it can be harmful down the road.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I am based in the UK, if that helps. And both birds were store bought.

I'll look at replacing the eggs and getting her back into a proper cycle.

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Sounds good. Your birds should be on the same cycle as we are here in the States. You also have some very good publications over there we don't. Mpst of them cover all birds, but the canary fancy is very big in the UK. There are lots of clubs all over, joining one really takes no time and they can be vary informative.