Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Cockatiel Scared of Outdoors?

I brought my tiel outside yesterday to get fresh air and exercise. He has this one branch he really likes, so i put him up there (it's maybe 5 feet up) and he was sitting there. I was playing with him, when I left to use the bathroom. He seemed calm and he was just walking around on his branch when suddenly I came back and he started screaming and trying to fly. He just got his wings clipped so he couldn't really fly, but he seemed really scared and he flew-fell to the ground and started running around and flapping his wings frantically. He still seemed really scared so I brought him back inside to the playset on top of his cage and he calmed down a little bit.
    He never had this problem before, and I think maybe it was the other birds chirping outside? They weren't very loud though. What do you think may have caused this?

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel Scared of Outdoors?

I only take Pepe outside in his cage, it's small enough for me to carry. We have hundreds of wild birds on the property and they were curious. We also have hawks so the cage is a must. Pepe was nervous of the birds walking around and swooping by at first, but after a few days he got used to them. He's still startled by the butterflies. I have read that the sunshine is a must for the birds health and Pepe loves it. He swims several times in the little pool at the bottom of his cage. Not swim exactly, but wallows around dipping his head. He plays constantly and whistles all the time he is outside. It could have been any number of things that scared him or he just panicked at the new environment. You might try a smaller cage for outside playtime and security.

Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I'd of not left him unattended personally. Not sure if it was the other birds or you in a strange environment walking up on him.

I do take my tiel Cara outside and he seems to enjoy it but if I need to go inside he comes with.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, I'd never take a tiel or any other tamed bird outside unless it were in its cage. And then, I'd be right out there with my buddy(s), because a cat, or some other animal could easily tip over the cage and get to my bird. I've read that even though a tiels wings may be clipped, they still have the ability to get enough flight to get quite a bit of distance away from you. These are just my own opinions!! I do agree that the sunshine is very good and for tiels and all birds and stimulates their feather growth, as well as helps to keep their bones strong. Just like humans, caged and/or inside birds also need sunshine.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Titi never goes in his cage except for water (and then he comes immediately out) or sleeping. Should I put him in his cage anyways or should I bring his playset out? (It's not enclosed.)

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

I would guess he got freaked by a large bird that could of flown over.
    I would never leave a small bird out side, hawks have been known to even tale a bird from someones shoulder.
    Do Not Be Lulled into a false sense, because even clipped small birds can get flight, if they catch a bit of wind, or without if they are fit enough. I have just rehomed a Tiel that had all its Primary flights except the two outer flights (Show Clip) She flew far enough away from home that we did not find her owner. So had to rehome.
    No you do not need to cage! Good on you for having him out most of the time. Just if you go outside he needs to be watched, in a cage , or harness trained.
    He is one lucky Fid.
    ************The Flock***********

Tinkerbell*Henry*Max*Zinny*Paco*Budgie Blue*Snowy*Dexter*Missy