Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Anton
    Thanks

Hello from Hong Kong

Hi. I am the very recent frantic completely novice parent to six little love bird chicks of assorted ages, all still getting baby formula out of a syringe some beginning to eat solids tentatively.

I have had them all combined for seven days and they are doing well despite my incredibly clumsy efforts and big fingers.

There is a language problem, I don't speak Chinese so besides the internet in reality Im in at the deep end.

I never intended to be in at the deep end far from it, I have done two years worth of research and info gathering before this ever happened but it still doesn't prepare you for the little twinkles flutter byes sitting in front of you looking up hopefully and chirping sweetly. It has even surprised me how sweetly and melodiously they chirp, especially after the trauma of dinner is all finished.

I want to start an aviary so I thought six or so weaned hand reared babies would be a good happy relaxed start, how wrong I was. Sadly they weren't weaned but this is how they come here no choice in the matter. I could see they weren't weaned they were too small and not even completely covered in feathers. I was told they couldn't be kept until they were older? I had to hand feed them myself was the unspoken assumption, this is how it happens, so this is where I am.

Im glad I found this forum.

Maybe its instinct, my feminine side coming out but I think we are doing OK.

My first question here is not what colour are they, they are interesting colours for sure but my question is should the feeding process be so unbelievably messy. I seem to squirt formula all over the place as chicks suddenly stop mid gulp, heads abruptly stop bobbing, sticky warm pudding dripping all over their beaks feathers feet and flung from shaking heads and flapping wings. Some will only nibble drink from the tip of the tube a constant trickle down their chests, others act like they want to swallow the whole syringe. They wont sit still, hopping all over the place, up my neck down my arm rushing off to visit each other up curtains, all while apparently having lunch.

When I have finally got enough food into each one and this is the best part, they all go silent and abruptly fall asleep on the spot where ever they might be. But they are a mess like I have dropped each one into the formula and then stuck it in the spin dryer.

I gently wash each one in a warm damp rinsable paper towel then pat them dryish on a dry one. Each one I then cover up in a warm towel in a basket, until they are all under the towel in a little huddle. They have come to like this ritual and cock their little heads up at me in anticipation of the warm damp towel smothering their little heads as i pick each one up. Is this how its done? Or is this all wrong horribly wrong? They sound good, chirping prettily in little voices then silence. I avoid drafts changes of temp like the plague even putting the whole lot up my shirt while they wait for a wash. I do this all outside where it is a constant 28-30% C. But i reckon as when I sweat even a breeze is cool in plus 30 %C so i use my forehead as a gauge of how a wet chick is feeling for 5 seconds................. any tips

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Hi Anton, Welcome to the site!!

Wow what a shock to all the sudden get all these lovies that need to be fed. I read that you did research for two years before getting them so it least you did your homework before doing it which is a good thing. They sound like they are healthy because it has been a week and they are all still happy and running around like crazy birds. I never seen a baby lovie nor have I ever seen them fed so I cant give you any advice about if your doing it right or not. I have heard they make a mess when they eat but dont know if yours are super messy or your doing it wrong. We do have people here who will be able to help you and hopefully they will come on here soon. Lovies are crazy little birds and I would imagine as babies they are even crazier then when they are grown up. If you have time in all the chaos of feeding and raising these babies I sure would love to see some pictures of all your babies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Anton, and welcome to the community!! I've never homed lovies so I can't give you advice about them, but I will say, in my opinion you sure have a good feeding system going there. I would love to see a video of one of the times you are giving all of them their food. I truly think you are doing everything right, but of course, as I said, I've never had any baby chicks, so can't say for sure. I do know from some posts I've read that it certainly is common for them to fall asleep after they are fed. They are content and their little tummies are full, and what a better way to tell you they had enough to eat and it's time for a nap!! And you clean them up and cover them up. Awww, that is just soooo precious!!

Yes, when they get a little older, please post some pics for us, and feel free to come back often. We love to hear all about baby birds and other birds no matter what kind they might be.

Good Luck with your new little flock!!

Name
    Anton
    Thanks

Thanks Deanna and Ellen yes all must be going well as they are alive and hyper and for all my foibles I can do no wrong in their eyes, Im like a large jungle gym to them a big toy thing. Whilst I feel guilty that I've been a bit rough they on the other hand harbour absolutely no grudges or distrust at all, Im instantly forgiven, such stoic little things. I suppose nipping each others toes off by way of prank later in life explains a lot.

Its fascinating to see them learning new things every day and establishing a pecking order of sorts, some seem to have formed couples already which is very cute. Yesterday a pied chick learnt to drink water out of a big shallow flat unglazed terracotta dish by crash landing in the middle from the highest perch. I was extremely worried as I had just injected its crop up into what looked like a water balloon, however immediately three others did exactly the same, what a riot. Extreme entertainment.

Today was even more hectic than usual as three have begun flying short distances along the ground, add wing power to sturdy little legs and they are unbelievably fast on or just off the ground! They look like speeding mini roasters. Its huge fun for them and all but very tiring for me, luckily I took my summer break for this as its a full time job.

Im not sure what to expect after it all, doting little "lovies" or manic little soldiers? Which ever as log as they are completely ok with my presence in the aviary Im fine with it. I have a real phobia about scared skittish birds, any birdie panic attack I find highly distressing.
    Last edited by Anton; 07-13-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: bad spelling (:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I can only imagine how much chaos is in your house right now. Just handling one full grown lovie made me tired at the end of day but handling 6 baby lovies must make you crazy and sleep very well in the night time. Your flock does sound very healthy and fine to me and they are doing the things that I have read other baby flocks do from people on here. I bet even though they are making you crazy and testing your nerves you still have a huge smile on your face watching them. Lovebirds are crazy little birds that never stop and you my dear have 5 of them little crazy birds all at once so your life has to be turned upside down right now. Hopefully once they grow up a little more they will mellow out a little bit for you.

Name
    Anton
    Thanks

Im not sure they will mellow out much Deanna, I was watching some at the bird market last week before it closed down because of an H5N1 scare and they were nuts. Constantly jumping along the perch like an endless game of aerial musical chairs nattering and squabbling as they went.

To be honest I new about this already and it formed part of my reasons for getting them. I didn't want sulky solitary shy birds as these are no fun and don't like showing themselves off much. However it is still a surprise to find out just how active and hyper these are even as chicks.

It seems even while they are supposed to be napping they let rip with a constant babble, not sure if its to each other the world at large or to who ever will listen it's completely cute, the wild birds in the trees also do this to keep contact maybe its the same thing they only feel safe if they can hear one another. If one goes missing there is complete pandemonium as they all begin shrieking and looking high and low, even if the missing one just popped behind the cage for five seconds.

I think they are a lot like budgies, I saw two little unweaned BB'B in the shop and how sweet is that, they are tiny like bumble bees and just as lively as lovebirds. I was very tempted but have been advised that it is dangerous to mx these with lovebirds. We will see maybe it's possible, create two different habitats/cities later on. Maybe some one here has achieved this?
    Last edited by Anton; 07-13-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have a feeling your right and all of yours will never mellow out. I loved how active mine was because he kept us laughing and loving him each and every day. Not only do they crack you up laughing at the way they act and play but with there cute faces and bodies you just cant help but to fall madly in love with them. I am happy yours are such active ones and one day I still would love to see some pictures of them so we can admire them with you.