Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Deb Walsh
    Thanks

Question Needing some help with my African Grey plz xxx

Hi my 13 week old female African Grey is very friendly and happy,she has everything she needs and more,weve had her for a week and a half now and has settled great but the last 2 days that she sits on my shoulder she suddenly reacts like shes falling or scared by screamimg and flapping,shes also done this while sitting on her tree.as soon as i calm her down she will cluck and be happy but then out of the blue she will do it again,she sometimes grabs my fingers and shakes it about but very gentle.I can tell she is not scared of me at all so im very confused why shes doing it.She has definately bonded with me so if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it.Thank you.Deb xxx

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Re: Needing some help with my African Grey plz xxx

The finger-shaking behavior doesn't sound like it's the same as the panic behavior: your baby grey is newly weaned, and she is likely shaking your finger like she pumped on the hand-feeding syringe. Think of it as a hug or a kiss, or a parent/fid handshake. In the wild, she would do this to another bird's beak to exchange food.

As far as the panic goes, my own greys (mine and my ex-husband's alike) exhibited such behaviors in response to things like colors, noises and objects which scared them. They are the 'gifted' kids of the bird world, and like most of the kids I was in gifted with (myself included) they can be just plain quirky. My ex's Congo was terrified of the telephone and the color orange -- refusing to eat his orange pellets and biting anybody who wore orange clothing! -- and my Timneh, Ross, is deathly afraid of vacuums, brooms, silverware, dishes, and most new toys. Your little one is still a shiny dark-eyed baby, so don't fret if she seems nervous at first and you don't know why. You will learn in time.

Just in case she is prone to such flapping outbursts at night, it may be a good idea to get her a nightlight. I once entered my darkened livingroom without announcing myself to my ex-husband's Congo, Xavier, and he responded by throwing himself around the cage so violently until I found a light switch that I was afraid he would break his neck
    Last edited by Roscoe's Mom; 07-29-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: sucky virtual keyboard skills
    Tailfeathers Superstar

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Re: Needing some help with my African Grey plz xxx

You could help the flapping by actually training your bird to flap it's wings on command.
    Young birds need a lot of extra wing exercise anyway.
    Hold her on your hand and tell her flap, start to drop your hand down, just enough so the bird's instinct kicks in and starts wing flapping. (just do not drop her) repeat, telling the bird how good she is etc. I repeat until my boy is just not interested. Coo over the wing flapping. i do this EVERY time I pick up my new Grey. And in four days he is trying harder to flap his wings, and use them some when he invariably falls off something.
    Since baby birds usually get all the wing training they need from birdie parents, we need to think of that too for our babies.
    If you train her to flap, I bet she will stop doing it at odd times like on your shoulder.

After i started this my boy stopped screaming too. maybe a coincidence? Now he will call a bir when i am out of sight, but not the horrid screeching calls from before.