where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Handicap Finch

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

Handicap Finch

I have a handicap finch do to neurological problems. He's is very adorable however he does not have the ability to walk, stand, or fly. He can stand for about a minute but then rolls over. I am wondering if any one has this issue. Also I am wondering if anyone has ever made holster type chair that he will be able to stay upright without falling over. He spends most of his day with us holding him because of this and we feed him while we hold him. I just love this little guy and I would just love to make something like that for him.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Handicap Finch

Rebecca my heart goes out to you and what a great family he has to take such great care of him. I think if you can figure out a way to make him a holster to hold himself up this would make him a happy little bird. I am sorry this has happened to him but I am thankful he has your family to love him and take such excellent care of him. Bless you heart for taking care of him
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Terra
    Thanks

Odd as it sounds, you could use doll clothing and toys. As long as he doesn't fidget constantly, it should work. My grandmother had a handicapped bird with some similar problems and she used barbie doll clothes and accessories to help her stay upright and give her something to sit upright on. She did very well with them. Just be careful nothing is toxic on the toys or there is nothing the little baby can choke on. My grandmother got a lot of those baby doll accessories for very young children (the kind who will try and put anything in their mouth) and it worked.

She was also home all the time (she herself was handicapped) and had more than enough time to spend with the birdie and make sure she didn't do anything that could harm her. If you're home all the time for whatever reason, I definitely suggest doll accessories. My grandmother's bird is the only case like yours that I know of. I don't even know what kind of bird (she found it injured on her front porch) she had, to be honest. She and the bird both passed away over 10 years ago.

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

I made something like this for a bird who was paralyzed on the highway. he slammed into a windshield of a car that just kept going ( We brought him to our wildlife center but there was nothing they could do to heal him so they said we could either let him be put down, give him to them to take care of until his death, or care for him at home.

I chose the final option and when we brought him home the first thing I did was make him a nest out of ripped up cloth for him to lay on. Next, I made something similar to those baby-bouncer things that you hang from the ceiling. I actually when out and bought a pair of the smallest underwear I could find (the bird was a robin) and trimmed them so it only came up to his neck. Then I made a hem and sewed a rubber band into it so it was snug around him. Finally, I added twine to four sides of the harness and hung it from an old marianette cross. You could make one out of two thin pieces of wood and just tie the twine around it.

he was so cute- I hung him from whatever room I was in (he especially liked hanging outside) and he would chirp to the other birds. The poor thing only lasted a few weeks but it sounds different from your finch- my robin couldn't stand at all (he was paralyzed from the neck down).

You could also hang him from two coat hangers, or even just connected the four strings into a loop and screw coat hangers into the wall all around your house.

Terra had a good idea as well, with the doll clothes. Very creative(:
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I have seen slings made from womens stocking before. In this case the toe portion because of his size. They are breathable and you can fashion them to anything you can work up as suspension. People usually cut wholes for the head and legs allowing movement and a slit for, sorry, pooping. I had a friend years ago who had a semi paralized bird and it soon became that everyone knew him as the bird man. He never wore any shirt that did not have a breast pocket, and everywhere he went the bird went with him. Stayed in his pocket and he would interact all day, everyday with his friend. Yes his name was jack, because he would just pop out of his pocket at any given time and say hello to people, thus jack in the box.