Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sunflower seeds

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

Sunflower seeds

Kaytee had sunflower seeds dipped in blueberry yogurt apperntly they discontinued them.!? As I was told by pet stores

If I wanna give him sunflower seeds as treats can I just buy sunflower seeds from like Walmart or somewhere .!?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Sunflower seeds

I wouldnt get him the dipped sunflowers seeds just because they have too much sugar on them which isnt good for your bird. If you buy sunflower seeds at the store that are made for people make sure they dont have salt on them since this too is bad for birds. I would actually go to our healthfood stores here and buy the differant seeds and grains they sell in the bulk bins and my bird loved them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

I don't know what to try for treats he doesn't seem to be interested in anything that I try to give him for treats as in food wise I've tried three different things .. He doesn't seem to be excited next I was going to try that because I know my green cheek conure loved them an would do anything for one .! I'm stuck I don't know what to do .!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I always had luck with just plain phrasing them for doing something good. When I had boomer he would do anything for a high pitched "GOOOOOOD Boomer" followed by clapping. It might sound corny but for some reason he just loved hearing us get excited about something he did. Even the birds I bird sit now seem to really like to be praised the same way. If that dont work most birds love millet but give the high pitched good bird a try and see if your bird likes it. I sure know lovies, budgies and amazons love it. You can try the yogurt seeds, as long as it is a treat it shouldnt hurt him. What kind of bird do you have? Just curious.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Joan
    Thanks

Sunflower seeds overall are not good for bird, You might be surprised to learn that."If you want to give your bird a treat now and then of your home grown, raw sunflowers they should be good for health. Just be careful about the amount"
    supported living
    Glenvale Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Freshly Sprouted Mung Beans. Millet. Sunflower seeds. Pumpkin seeds. Hulled Oats. Popped Corn. I also use Barley. Wheat and a few other seeds I can get.
    There maybe different nuts or fruit that may work. Sorry I cannot remember what Fid you have?
    I also find natural treats for my Fids. Like weeds and grasses. Tree tops in flower or like Bottle Brush and Paper Bark Gum they like these any time.

As for Sunflower seeds being bad or not good, this is a little bit misleading. It is unlikely that you would only be feeding these two items as a main food source, and as part of a well balanced diet with good variation they are Ok.
    Research and you will see that the stories that are going around are the same as Millet.
    Both have their uses, more so for the seed eating birds, and as treats and training you will not over do it.

If you have a health shop near you or even a seed supply (Agriculture) They will have natural untreated seeds. But do ask as they will also have other stuff that has been played around with.
    These places a far better than Pet Shops and large supply shop, who seem to spend more time in selling you all sorts of rubbish just to take your money. Than where they are healthy long term.

As with all things it is a matter of keeping it all in balance. I stay away from any man made or adulterated products keeping it as natural as possible.
    No added Sugars. (If feeding ripe fruit they will be getting more than enough natural sugars) No added Salt. No preservatives.
    Last edited by clawnz; 03-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Here is some shocking news for those who think Sun Flower seeds are bad for their birds.
    http://www.bryansangels.net/2010/05/...d-for-parrots/

I knew this but took a while to find things online.
    When talking about the dangers of feeding these we need to keep in balance what type of birds we are talking about.

If you have a large captive bird that is clipped or not allowed decent flight (and lets face it most large Parrots do not get anywhere near enough flight time) you should look at diet and keep things in balance. Obesity can be a big problem with a bird that just sits on a perch for 60yrs

If you have a smaller bird that is active gets lots of flight time and is not a couch potato then these are not going to cause any trouble, if used in moderation.
    You are far more likely to have health issues with long term pellet use.

It is the knowledge we have gained that now allows Cockatiels to live well into their twenties. And I know one that is past 32yrs old.
    Go back 10yrs / 15yrs and it was expected that a Cockatiel life span was 10yrs to 15yrs. My how this has change with good care and diet.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Momma Bird
    Thanks

Does the bird like nuts? Because you can find a fave nut and chop it into tiny pieces...

Check out the birdie bread that is more nutritious and that birds prefer in taste tests!

We also sell toys and organic manzanita perches, too!

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

We found something that works for all of them.. We taugh Alex how to shake his head no today and gizmo is working on nod the others still do not seem interested at all ... Maybe cuz they won't sit still to hyper !!

Name
    Momma Bird
    Thanks

Sounds like great progress!

Check out the birdie bread that is more nutritious and that birds prefer in taste tests!

We also sell toys and organic manzanita perches, too!

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter