Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Betty
    Thanks

how many together is best?

I have a large cage with two beautiful baby budgies in it, Gracie and Capt. Jack. Should I leave well enough alone or can I add more budgies? If I add more is it best to go in pairs? I have become quit attached to my babies but my grandaughter asked if she could "call" one of them her's since her mom won't let her have one. This would be easy enough since they won't be leaving my house but I thought if I let her go pick one or two out, it would make it more personal to her and I get to keep Gracie! The cage is 18" x 30" x 36"

Name
    Alyx
    Thanks

Re: how many together is best?

I have the same cage size, and I had been wondering this as well, so I had decided to seek out the same information, I have two in my cage as well, and the pet store had stated that that cage would only be able to hold up to three comfortably, four would be crowded and not recommended, but no more than four, for it would invade personal space and they could start fighting over treats and the food bowl. He also said that the males shouldn't outnumber the females.

I suppose it also depends on the bird, one of mine is very territorial when it comes to her honey treat, it's hers and only hers she seems to think. Angel will snap at the other parakeet Kiwi if she gets too close to her honey treat. Which led to two honey treats at the opposite ends of the cage! While Kiwi isn't very territorial and is more laid back.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I put only 1 bird in each cage. Sometimes my cockatiel and conure sleep in the same cage together, but it's just a sleepover and not a permanent arrangement. They're all out during the day. I have cages that are larger than yours and thought I could put 2 very young parrotlets together. It was a disaster. My baby evidently killed the one slightly older, but I didn't realize it at first. Then he almost killed another one I got. And Riley's a little darling, but he just plays rough, I discovered.

You need to be really careful putting even 2 birds together. I personally would never put 3 together. Finches and other softbill birds are a different story. I successfully put several finches together in the same cages, but I had huge aviaries for them. Psittacines are totally different from finches, though.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Keep the same sex, if your not wanting to go into breeding then why stimulate a pr into breeding condition? But note that if you have hens they do tend to bicker. Bickering is fine, you just doen't want knock down fights. Hens are not known for making the best pets. They are aggressive by nature, they are the ones who run the show when it comes to breeding.

Cocks make better pets, they are easy going.

When ever you bring a new bird home don't dump it into an established cage. The best idea is a 30 quarantine in say a bathroom where the new stock will be the last birds you service for the day. This time period allows for any illnesses the new stock might be harboring to show. It's easer and less expensive to medicate 1 bird than your entire flock of birds.

Once the 30 days are up introduce the new bird(s) by setting the cages side by side. After a week then you can put the new stock into the established cage. BUT do it when you will be home so you can watch and make sure no fights break out.

It's always a good idea to have a 2nd cage in case someone gets sick or hurt.