Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Feather Question and a Titi Update

So I've noticed a few feathers lying around Titi's playset and in his cage. They're mostly soft and downy, and the longest one is probably an inch and a half at most. Titi preens often (but not excessively) and I haven't noticed any feather picking, but I'm still a little worried. Is he just molting, or is there a problem? By the way, he's male and of unknown age. Here's a picture of a few of the feathers I found:
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    Irrelevantly, I just received two eight-ounce sample bags of pellets from Roudybush. Titi proved himself to be an avid pellet eater (even though he was a seed junkie) from the moment I sprinkled a few pellets in his food dish even though there were also seeds in the dish. I'll be mixing pellets and seeds 50-50 from now on. Does anyone know whether Roudybush is carried in pet stores in the US? Or do I have to purchase it online?
    Titi has also eaten his first fresh (not dried) vegetable today! I was eating a piece of raw carrot, and after I noticed him staring at it intently I cut off a little piece for him and he actually ate it! Titi enjoys crunchy food, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but usually he doesn't eat any moist foods besides his drinking water.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Feather Question and a Titi Update

Birds seem to molt all time, especially the smaller feathers you seem to be finding around. My lovie would molt out his tail feathers and flight feathers twice a year but always lost the smaller ones year round. If he seems to be molting out more feathers right now offer him more bathes because they do seem to keep them more comfortable when they are molting. I am happy he likes his roudybush, it is so good for him. I use to put a small bowl of roudybush and a normal cup of seed mix in my birds cage so that way he could eat which ever ones he felt like eating. I wouldnt put many pellets in it just because my lovie was a picky butt and only ate them when they were fresh out of the bag so I changed the roudybush everyday. I see roudybush at lots of the stores in my area here so hopefully you can find them around you. Its been awhile since I ordered them direct but I dont think they charged a huge amount to ship them to me.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, those are typical tiel molting feathers. Usually tiels have a hard molt once a year. But since you just rehomed Titi, the change in environment might also have something to do with it. I think Roudybush is a very good pellet, and since TiTi likes it alot, I'd keep putting it in his seed cup. I think the 50/50 mix is a good mix for him. You definitely can find Roudybush in the Pet shops here in the USA. One website to check out would be Dr. Foster and Smith. They have a complete line of bird foods and toys, cages, etc. They have some good prices on products, always run specials, and you can get free shipping if you purchase a certain amount of product. Try using a blender or food chopper and putting some fresh veggies such as red lettuce, kale, raw carrots, raw broccoli, corn, peas, etc. in the blender. Chop them up in small pieces, and place a small plate or cup on the cage floor. Titi just might decide to try some. Fresh veggies are wonderful nutrients for tiels. And kale is rich in calcium. Also, place some cuttle bone pieces in the cage in a cup, so that he can get plenty of calcium each day. Also, consider visiting Cockatiel Cottage website, and there will be lots of info about the foods that tiels can eat, and ones they should never eat, along with lots of good info about tiels.

You are doing a great job with TiTi. He's willingly trying new foods, you've got him on the Roudybush, and he's beginning to interact with you. You are well on your way to becoming best friends with him. I Hope to see some more pics of TiTi one of these days, and keep us posted on your progress.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Thanks guys
    I found a few more feathers and one wing feather, but I guess it's just molting. I'll be sure to bathe him more often and check out the places you mentioned; Titi likes Roudybush and so do I--no artificial colors or anything.
    Here are a few more pictures of him:

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Love the pics!! Titi is sooooo handsome, and I sure can see a big difference in him since the first two pics you posted. I agree with you about natural ingredients in bird food. I don't like to fee my babies anything that has preservatives, and lots of sugar or salt either.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Titi is adorable. I would have to agree with the others that Titi is molting. Mine just started and I have been cleaning feathers for the last several days. I's good that Titi enjoys pellets. I feed Tango 80% pellet and 20% seed. I also feed him cale and romaine lettuce. Very high in calcium.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011