Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

not sure of due date

hi...I have 3 eggs and I'm not sure when they're due to hatch. is there a way to get a good idea when they might?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: not sure of due date

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy being here.
    If you go to Cockatiel Cottage and scroll down the page on this link you will find the details you have asked for. http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html
    But quickly, 18 to 21 days after the hen starts to sit. She does not normally start to incubate them until she has laid a few of them. This is so hatching is all with-in a few days.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

mine laid 4 eggs on 22/24/26/28 th december 2012 evening between 5-6 pm. so when can i expect a hatching date.
    should i count from the first egg day or the last egg day for the hatching time period

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Maddy! The eggs will hatch about every other day, just like when the eggs were laid. It varies as to exactly when the eggs will hatch. Usually cockatiel eggs will hatch about 21-28 days after they were laid. Is your hen setting on the eggs every day, other than to come out to eat and do her poops. Is she nesting in a nest box, or on the floor of the cage, or some other way??

You should know when the first egg hatches because the pair will both be taking care of the new chicks. The father bird will feed them also. I think the best thing for you to do right now is to go on-line and google "cockatiel breeding, and egg laying". You can get TONS of information about the entire breeding process on-line. Another good site is "Cockatiel Cottage". Reading information will help you to anticipate what will be happening when and if the eggs hatch. Another good idea would be to go to YouTube. Search for "cockatiel eggs hatching". Many people post videos of their chicks hatching and the parents feeding their babies, or the caregivers handfeeding their babies.

I hope this information will be helpful to you. Please let us know when the eggs have hatched and how many babies you have. Good, luck, Maddy!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

@MAXOLLIE......

Hi! thanks for your reply.

my birds are sitting on the eggs continuously . They have never left the eggs unattended . both the parents spend time inside the nest box sitting on the eggs for about 8-9 HRS/day continuously. Then the male first takes a break comes out and eats/ drinks / play/ poop and then after about 20 min it goes into the nest and the female comes out and eats/drinks/plays . Either one of the parents is sitting on the eggs when the other parent is out of the nest.
    they roll the eggs gently from time to time with care .
    The eggs are never left alone ......they are taken care of by the parents 24 hrs a day.

The male is older than the female , and the male gives orders/ commands to the female and the female has to obey the orders , or else the male will force it to obey......lol.

MY doubt is ...should i count from the day the first egg was laid OR from the day the last egg was laid OR from the day they started incubating the eggs....which im not sure of .

The eggs were laid on 22/24/26/28 th DECEMBER 2012 in the evening at about 5-6 pm .

i heard that the eggs are usually laid early in the morning but my birds laid them in the evening before sunset....strange.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

@all

when do cockatiels abandon the nest / eggs ? how many days after the last egg is laid .
    Can they sense fertile from infertile eggs ?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

@ALL

its now 21 days since my last egg was laid.
    first egg - 22nd dec 2012
    second - 24th dec
    third - 26th dec
    fourthegg - 28th dec 2012.

the parents are still incubating the eggs . the male sits on the eggs almost the entire day time from morning till night continuously without leaving the nest.
    the female sits on the eggs all through the night{sleeps on the eggs}.
    the female during day time spends time along with the male inside the nest but comes out frequently to play eat drink poop.

they keep rolling the eggs slowly gently and keep on exchanging the eggs under each other.

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW , SINCETHE 21 DAY PERIOD HAS PASSED ? DO I THROW THE EGGS AWAY OR WAIT FOR THE PARENTS TO TAKE THE FINAL CALL ON THE EGGS.