Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Help! An egg has hatched!! I have some questions and concerns!

Alright so I guess my first concern is that the baby is on its back. Is that good or bad? I saw that the father is feeding the baby while it's on its back.

Secondly, should I be wetting down their pellet so it's easier for them to feed?

I shone a flashlight in the box a few days ago and it looked like only one egg might be fertile since the other 3 looked almost illuminated from the light. What is the regular distance between hatchings? Same as they are laid usually?

And I guess, if there are any people good with genetics, any guesses as to the colourings!? The mother is a peach face and the father is (according to the breeder) a white-faced cinnamon violet-edge dilute (I'll post a photo).

Anything else I should know? My birds growing up have laid eggs but none have ever hatched so I'm really excited and scared about this! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Help! An egg has hatched!! I have some questions and concerns!

Wished I could help but I dont have a clue if laying on its back is good or bad. Maybe you can gently push it onto its side it least??? If I were you I would check out pictures of other babies here and see if any of those are laying on there back like your baby is so you can see if its unusual or not. There are lots of posts here with babies so it should be easy to see them here.

I hope you little baby is going to be OK and once its gets bigger we would LOVE to see its pictures of it growing up. They are personally my favorite posts here on Tailfeathers to see.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Thanks! I will definitely go check out some other posts. I've never seen any on their backs before in photos but maybe I missed it. It makes like light chirps too. A little raspy. I'm not sure if it's normal to sound like that but maybe I can find some videos on youtube! If anybody knows about that, I would be happy to know!

And I will post photos when it gets a bit older, I don't really want to touch it or anything right now

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

UPDATE:
    So I just saw the baby roll onto its stomach. I think I might have caught sight of it on its back after a feeding. I've given the mother some new nesting materials to make sure that it's clean in the box.

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

There are several folks who have lovies that visit, but since no one has found your thread as yet, a suggestion would be to google "lovebird forums". I know there is at least one on the web. The lady who adminstered that forum was named Linda. She had lots of experience homing and caring for lovebirds and other birds. I think she would be able to answer your questions. It is a very nice forum, and people who home lovies post there. That forum is almost all lovebirds!

Your lovies are beautiful. If you can connect with the lovebird forum I just spoke about, I am sure you can also find out about the possible mutations that your baby might be.

I sure hope you will be able to connect with that lovebird forum tonight!

Thanks

When the babies are extremely young and tiny, the Mom feeds them while they're on their backs. So nothing to worry about there.

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Thanks! I've been going through google and different forums to find some answers. I had only ever seen the babies on their fronts before but I found a video on Youtube of the baby being fed on its back and I felt better.

Thanks so much for helping me out!!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I think it helps with digestion or something with the crop. I know breeders who tip even older birds back a bit when feeding. Sounds like your parents know what they're doing fairly well. Is it their first brood? How old are they?

I don't think you need to wet food... if they want it wet they're perfectly capable of dunking it in their water.

What are you feeding them at the moment? have they got plenty of leafy veg and calcium? because they'll take water from the veg too.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

I used to breed clutch after clutch of lovebirds. They roll all over the place; unlike human babies, there are no protocols for safe sleeping in the lovebird world. So don't worry.

The translucent eggs may very well not hatch. Typically they do become more opaque when they are fertile. They ought to hatch at a rate of about one every other day, just as they were laid. So depending upon how many eggs there are, just multiply it by 2 and wait that many days before you even think of pulling them. That way you do not pull a live egg before it has a chance to hatch. Just to be safe, maybe wait a few days longer than that, too -- but my PF parents always got rid of the eggs which weren't going to hatch, presumably by eating them, if I gave them enough time.

Do you mean that the mother is a normal green peachface? B/C the cinnamon is a peachface, too; peachface is a subspecies of lovebird, not a phenotype. So you need to know the mother's exact phenotype to guess what the babies may be. If you are curious what type of lovebird babies you may have, you can enter the parents phenotypes on the gencalc.com peachface lovebird calculator, and it will tell you the probability you have of obtaining certain chicks. Mostly lovebird phenotypes can be predicted using basic Mendelian genetics (punnet squares), but there are also sex linked traits. So the calculators can be handy if you don't know how to predict either. I loved them when I started!

You are a lucky mommy, BTW: I have always loved the cinnamons! I wish my apartment complex hadn't made me rehome my lovebirds -- I may be a bit jealous of that gorgeous daddy bird of yours
    Last edited by Roscoe's Mom; 07-28-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Tailfeathers Superstar

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I don't know about lovebirds, but I did learn that Sun Conures are fed on their backs. So when I got baby Kahnee when he was 3 weeks old I fed him upright but then rolled him on his back to somewhat mimic mama bird. I would swaddle him in a little bar towel and he would fall asleep for hours that way. I used to say 'baby' to him a lot when he was swaddled. Later, whenever he wanted to go to bed he would say 'baby' and I would swaddle him and lay him on his back in his birdie tent. You could hear him whisper 'baby' while he fell asleep.

Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! Those pics of Kahnee are "precious". It looks like you are getting your questions answered, Kathleen. That is great!! Hope all is going well with the parents and the baby this evening!

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Helen, I am feeding them a pellet mixture. It's the same that Zelda (the father) was eating when I got him as a baby. They have a cuttle bone and they won't eat any leafy veggies or veggies in general that I put in with them. They do like the little bits of papaya I have given them, but overall they won't eat anything other than their bird food. I have tried since I got them. My parents' old lovebird was the same way, but they fed him seed so that might be why.

It is their first brood. I didn't expect them to lay eggs (well fertile ones anyway) since I thought they were both female. Zelda is 3 and Gangy (the mother) I'm not sure of how old. Not old enough for me to think that laying eggs is a good idea for her, but I didn't find out that she was going to lay eggs until the day before she did. I believe she is about 10 months old or so. I got her in February as a companion for Zelda since I have been extremely busy and wasn't able to play with Zelda as much anymore.

They seem to be parenting well, and the baby is pretty active. I notice that the crop is growing a bit every day and it seems to be trying to stand by pushing itself up using the other eggs. I hope that's a good sign!

Scareca, I did mean a regular green peachface haha. I do know that Zelda is a mutation of the peachface as I researched Zelda a lot before buying him and I talked with the breeder a lot before and after buying him. I did try the genetics calculator, and from what it told me I had 4 options (whether I put everything in properly I'm not sure!) But these were my options (from memory..):

Male: green/violet edge
    Male: green/cinnamon
    Female: cinnamon
    Female: cinnamon with violet edge (I think I remembered these correctly)

I'm sorry to hear that you were forced to get rid of your birds

Pat, your photos of Kahnee are so sweet! The lady who bred Zelda also bred Sun Conures. They are so beautiful and I love their temperament! Thank you for sharing with me about feeding the baby, it makes me feel at ease that by birds know what they're doing!

Overall, I was planning on handfeeding them starting at around 6 weeks. I do have a bit of experience hand feeding an Indian Ringneck so I hope that helps me out!

So far I only have 1 egg hatched but I can be patient I read somewhere that it's okay to leave the empty eggs in the nest as the babies use them as supports (I've also read that they can harm the babies), but I figure I can't remove them right now anyway so that I can give them time to hatch.

Ellen, the new bird family is doing well! Thank you for keeping up with me!!!

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Overall, I was planning on handfeeding them starting at around 6 weeks.
    Baby lovebirds are fully grown and leave the nest box at age 6 weeks so that dad can teach them how to eat on their own. Most breeders will pull the chicks around age 14 days for hand feeding but I let my parents feed and I just socialize them to get them used to the human touch. It's really the best of both worlds. They learn to be birds from their parents. They learn that human hands won't hurt them and I don't have to be tied to a strict hand feeding schedule! Works for me.

I usually start handling the babies when they are 3 weeks old. In the beginning, it's just short sessions and it's mostly holding and cuddling. Baby lovebirds have very heavy bodies and don't really walk around well until they are just about 3.5 weeks old. Unlike Tiels that can stand shortly after hatching, baby lovebirds don't have the leg strength to support body weight.

As the babies get a bit older, I keep them out longer and just let them get used to being around me and family members. Babies don't have to be hand fed to be tame. They have to be handled. Even if you hand feed, unless you socialize them, all you are doing is filling their crops.
    ~Valerie~

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Valerie, thank you for that! That was very helpful for me to read. I wanted the parents to do most of the raising, and the reason I wanted to handfeed them at 6 weeks was because of socializing. I read that you should only really handle them once they have their feathers, or something like that. 3 weeks sounds like a good time to start handling I think. At 6 weeks the baby lovebird will be okay to be removed from the cage, is that right? So would the baby be alright on pellet at that point? Wet down pellet maybe (I only say this because that is what I had to do for Zelda when I got him from the breeder at about 8 weeks old). I heard that the father will introduce the baby to food while still feeding the baby, but I'm not sure what stage that would be at.

The only time I handfed was when we were given our Indian Ringneck to finish the handfeeding. I'm not totally sure what age she was then but I'm sure they grow differently from lovebirds anyway. Any information on when I can remove the baby from the family would be great! My parents' lovebird passed away not too long ago and they are really excited to have a new lovebird as their last one was about 13 years old and they miss having him.

I guess I would like to know what the removal process from the parents would be. I don't mind having the baby around until 8 weeks and then giving him to my parents, but I want to make sure I do what is best for the baby while making sure he is well tamed and social. Zelda was hand tame when I got him and I worked on Gangy (the mother) to become hand tame as she was very scared of hands, but is now very comfortable stepping up and sitting with you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Eight weeks seems a little young.
    I didn't collect Sammy until he was 11 weeks - my breeder doesn't like to let them go until 10 in case they get silly and forget to eat. He said he liked to see his babies eating and at a healthy weight for at least 2 weeks before he lets them go.

I don't know about pellets for babies. I know the first thing most birds eat is millet. Mum and Dad see millet and get excited, sooner or later baby will have a nibble

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Helen, I just checked his hatch date vs when I took this photo and I think this was only a couple of days after I got him and it was just over 10 weeks. Sorry I should have checked that before! This is what he looked like when I got him.

I didn't know that about millet, they do go crazy over the millet spray when they get some. I guess I'll save my millet for when the baby is older so that he can try some with the parents!
    Last edited by ZeldaLovie; 07-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

He is sooooooooooooooooooo precious, and I love the colors of his feathers!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

I just had to comment to say that is the SWEETEST thing I have ever heard!! Made my smile huge.

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Haha thanks! Looking back at the young photos of Zelda it's cool to see how much his colourings have changed. I had forgotten how dark his face used to be!

Just wanted to update that there is still only one baby but he is getting pretty big!Little bits of feathers coming in. They are very light coloured feather bits. I still haven't gotten a photo but I hope to soon!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Glad bubby is doing well, and ahhhhhhh what a cute birdie! x

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Zelda is soooo cute!! I am happy your baby is doing so good and I cant wait to see your new baby once you get the pictures up.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update you on the baby! I have brought him to a vet to get him check up since I was a little concerned about his legs and the vet says he is doing really well and looks great and is a really great weight. So I thought I would share some photos (plus I have a concern..)

3 weeks

3 1/2 weeks

just over 4 weeks

So I noticed that Zelda was preening the baby a lot and there are tons of feathers all over the nest now and the baby is missing a LOT of feathers on his back neck. I found him running away from the nest on the bottom of the cage and so I wasn't sure what to do and I took the baby out for some handling time but I'm not sure if I should take it as an early sign to remove the father (maybe put him in a cage beside them) or is this normal? He will be 5 weeks old tomorrow, please let me know!

Thanks

Usually it's the hen that does the plucking. Make sure you know who's doing it then remove them. Then leave the other parent in to finish the feeding.

Name
    Kathleen
    Thanks

Thanks for responding! I actually saw later that it was Zelda for sure. We just finished setting up the other cage beside the cage with the mother and baby and I'm keeping a close eye on the mother just to make sure she doesn't do it either.

Fingers crossed!