Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Conure in too small at cage at one of the pet stores - need advice

I am a volunteer for FurKids a homeless cat shelter. I go to a pet store where they allow FurKids to have cats there for adoption. I will clean the cages, let them out for awhile in an enclosed place, etc. The pet store I volunteer at always has a pretty little Conure in this very nice LARGE cage where he can walk around, get on perches. There are all sorts of fun hanging items that he can latch onto and enjoy.

When I went to another pet store (a pet store in the same chain as the one I volunteer at) to look at cats there, I went to the bird area and there was this sweet little Conure in a cage perhaps 2 ft. wide and 2 ft. deep. It coult have been 3 ft. wide and deep. He didn't have any place to walk and swing and play.

I have talked to the Manager at the pet store where I volunteer and asked if they could help me do something about this little Conure's living conditions. I will be calling this Manager tomorrow to see if she has any suggestions.

If she can't do anything, then I plan to call the store manager at the pet store with the little Conure in a small cage and tell him or her that I am a regular customer at this particular chain of pet stores and that the other pet store has a large cage for their Conure and that the cage his/her Conure in is too small.

Do any of you have any advice about how I should proceed with this if nothing is changed? I don't know whether they will do anything about this or not. I am prepared to complain to their corporate offices and I don't know what other steps to take.

Thank you all for any advice.

Kathy

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Re: Conure in too small at cage at one of the pet stores - need advice

Talk to the folks that work in the area where they have the conure. Often times, the managers in these stores don't know their rear from a hole in the ground (at least when it comes to animals other than dogs or cats). It could be that the employees don't know that the conure needs a bigger living space, but there could also be other reasons. Chat with an employee or a department manager, there may be another reason that the bird is in that cage.

Where I work, our large "conure" cage is front and center. It's an amazing set up for a conure - about 6'h x 6'w x 3'd, a tree, swings, huge food dishes, a water dish, a bath, and spots for 5 or 6 toys. Unfortunately, the cage is open bars and glass... and it IS front and center in the store. Sometimes we have birds that adjust well - they get to go in the big cage and play/interact with customers. Awesome. Other times, we have scaredy-birds. We've had birds coming out of quarantine that were happy, healthy, and social until they went into that cage, then they refused to eat or move off of the back wall. All the traffic going by on a daily basis freaked them out. We moved them into smaller cages that were out of the way, and they instantly went back to being amazing birds. Big cage with traumatized birds or a smaller cage with a happy bird? I'd rather explain to folks that we're keeping the bird healthy in the smaller cage than to have a birdie heart attack in the big cage.

One of the birds that I LOVED at work was freaked out by the big cage. He was super social otherwise. From day one he'd grab millet from me, and after being quarantined quickly learned to step up on everyone. He LOVED scratches, walking around the store on anyone's shoulder, helping out while I did paperwork (and chewing on my paperwork), and being "social". In the big cage, he'd hang from the door. He would shake, wouldn't move from the door, and just looked miserable. He was in a 2'x2'x2' cage for his entire stay at the store, but I felt it was a ton less stress on him. One of our managers insisted that he be put in the big cage, but after a customer pointed out that the poor guy looked "off" - I was "allowed" to move him back. Instant recovery.

One of the other birds we had to put in a smaller cage was a bad biter that we got from a store that closed. He talked, which was cool. "Get over here." He'd call you over, look for scratches, and *CHOMP*. There are signs posted to "Keep Fingers Out of Cages", but all it takes is one little angel getting their fingers bit for the bird to be no more.

I'd chat with some of the employees first, then go from there.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your post. I will talk to the manager. If a Conure can be okay in a small cage such as this, I will be able to sleep at night without worrying about them abusing this little bird by putting him in such a small cage!

Kathy

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Millie
    Thanks

I work at a pet shop also and we keep our birds in med-small cages/ bird area with Perspex front for viewing. It's warmer in there, they can hear other birds and it makes it a lot easier to clean and more hygienic for that reason. It is also safer for them because people can't stick their fingers in and they can retreat to a corner and perch if needed. They can see people but often when it's quiet we play with the birds(by birds i mean parrots) and keep them on our shoulders (hand raised ones).
    Often if the bird is young, they might feel frightened by being in a large cage because they've only recently come out of the 'nest' and the home they have been familiar with their whole life! Don't be too quick to judge but good to hear that you are concerned though, hopefully the conure will find a new home soon. Petshops are only their temporary home

Thanks

A couple of petstores in my area are borderline abuse with how they treat the birds (small cages, no toys, filthy water cups, overcrowding, broken branches, etc.) I went to the manager regarding the birds and the obvious lack of care but he didn't seem responsive or concerned at all(he supposedly owns a couple birds as well). I actually had to contact the head office and make a severe complaint because they would put a couple toys in and things seemed fine for a week or so, and then it would all go back to the way it was. When this didn't suffice, I went to the SPCA and department of agriculture and now things "seem" (at least, for now) to be looking up for the birds. A few of my friends work at one of the petstores, which made me feel uncomfortable but it had to be done. I mean, an Amazon in a dark corner by the fish tanks, disgusting water cup, no toys and debris all over the bottom of his cage. Fruitflies in the cages. One cockatiel was actually missing a toe. Both cockatiels were foot level and absolutely terrified. There was a loose finch flying around the store for several weeks, also. And a Lory with nothing in his plexiglass cage. Literally, nothing except a food and water dish. No grate, just corn cob bedding, he was running around in his own feces. The birds all looked extremely sick. I would suggest speaking with the manager in a non-threatening way about how to properly house a bird and what it needs to be content in a petstore. I've found that because people aren't educated on what passes for liveable conditions they aren't aware of it, even if it's right in front of them. If things don't change, record your visits and take it to the petstore's head office or contact your local animal care foundation, SPCA or humane society.