Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    Sila
    Thanks

Unhappy Lovebird losing sleep because of seizures. How do I help?

Hi guys,

I am a new member to this community and also a new member to bird forums in general.
    I've been worried about my lovebird lately because she has not been doing well.

Last Wednesday (today is Saturday for me), I first noticed something was off when she didn't wake me up around 7-8am when the sun rises. Instead of her usual loud chirps they were airy and softer. I didn't think too much about it at the time. Later that same day around 2pm I came to check on her and noticed that every time she did these airy/screechy chirps she twitched (it was like her whole body just bounced against her will). I was immediately concerned and rushed her to the nearest vet that would take in a bird.

When the vet saw her he confirmed she was having seizures and said there could be a multitude of causes (lead poisoning/heavy metal poisoning, tumors, internal problems, etc). He went ahead and took 2 X-rays of her, drew her blood for testing and gave her some diazepam for the seizures. The X-Rays showed something in her intestinal track. A bunch of little pieces of something. I couldn't imagine what she could have eaten since I only let her out of her cage once a week and not near something of that shape. The theory right now is that she may have eaten pieces of her old cage. She is a 13 year old bird and her cage was about 10 yrs old.

We are waiting for her blood work lab results to come in to confirm if it is lead poisoning (which sadly may be a best case scenario because it is more treatable than tumors and internal problems).

When I took her home she was knocked out from the sedation they gave her to draw her blood, etc. I immediately went to Petco and bought her a new cage. After setting it up for her I realized it is way too big for her. The bars are big and it's really tall and I'm afraid of her climbing up it and hurting herself so I bought her a new one online that is supposed to ship at the earliest by Tuesday.

She's been eating, and drinking a little bit. And pooping, but not as frequently and her poop tends to be thicker and stickier than usual.

Unfortunately, I have to wait till Monday for the medicine to treat her for the lead poisoning (if that is what's wrong) because the vet informed me there is no one in our area with medicine for her. We live in Florida and he had to order it all the way from New Jersey.

She's been twitching non-stop since Wednesday. On Wednesday she was knocked out for most of the day from the sedation then woke up ate and drank some and pooped and climbed her new cage.

On Thursday she didn't climb her cage anymore (maybe because she fell a few times? Maybe because the twitching is in inhibiting her?). She started screeching every time she twitched too non-stop. Even at night, though it is a little more subdued and she seems to have rare breaks where she doesn't squeak.

I gave her peanut butter and 1/8 tea spoon of plain Metamucil (with Psyllium as it's main ingredient) because the vet said it would help bind the pieces in her intestines and would help her poop it out. I tried the best I could to get her to eat the peanut butter since she's never had any before. I mixed it with the metamucil and her seeds and she only ate a little from my finger when I put it on her beak.

I'm afraid for her because I'm not sure how much sleep she is getting with this constant bodily shocks and screech with every shock. I called the vet today to see if we should have her sedated again because she may not have slept well since Wednesday and it is now Saturday and we have to wait till Monday to help her (meaning 4-5 days with poor sleep ). He told me it would be dangerous and he doesn't recommend it. Since she is so small she could overdose with it in her system especially since she got some Wednesday. He is optimistic she will make it to Monday and I pray she does too and I just want to help!

I feel ignorant for not realizing her old cage could be dangerous to her and I'm doing my best. Keeping her company as much as I can and trying to help her sleep by closing the blinds and the door to block out noise and light and throwing a blanket over parts of her cage at night to help so she can sleep.

I don't want her to exhaust her body out and I want to help!!

Please let me know what I can do!!!
    And if you have any comments or suggestions about any part of my situation.

P.S. - Sorry this is so long, I just have no one to talk to about this and I wanted to share my story for others who may have the same problem.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird losing sleep because of seizures. How do I help?

Sila my heart is breaking for you and I just am so sorry this is happening to your loved lovebird. They thought my lovie had metal poisoning at one time and he was given drugs for it right away. Have you called any other vets in your area to see if they have any drugs you can use for her until you get the other meds that are being shipped? When they thought boomer had metal poisoning they kept him and gave him shots of Calcium EDTA and shots to keep him hydrated for two days and then he came home and we had to give him this smelly medicine Succimer (DSMA) which he hated but it is what they treat small birds with. I hate to say it but birds cannot live that long with lead in there system. I hope and pray its not lead in your lovies body. If I were you I would definitely call all the other vets in your area to see if they have calcium EDTA that they can give your lovebird and it would be something that could save her and help her not so miserable until the other meds come in. I found lots of different things you can give your lovie for now on this page, http://www.holisticbird.org/pages/hmetal.htm It was one that I read when they thought boomer had metal in his gut. I think if it were lead your baby might not be here anymore so this could be zinc which is on lots of older cages and also some toys.

Keep you lovie nice and warm and if you have a fish tank these make great hospital beds, here is a forum post that tells you how to make a hospital bed for them. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...n/firstaid.php

I feel so bad for you and your lovie and it just must be so awful to see her twitching like this and I am surprised your vet didnt keep her in the office and give her fluids to keep her hydrated and also some sort of meds to detox her body. Metal poisoning is something that needs to be treated aggressively and by what my vet told me it is something that can and will get better with treatments. The shots of calcium EDTA will cure her and it will make her better right away. Please keep us updated on her condition and do also try to take care of yourself. If you are like me you must be just a nervous wreck seeing her this way. Big hugs to you and lots of get well thoughts and prayers to your little girl.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I think the nasty, heavy, white droppings are actually good - part of how they rid their body of the rubbish.

millet might help a little. it's really easy to digest and might help her feel a bit better. in a way it might be better to not spend so much time with her. I know it's your gut instinct as a good parront, but if you're fussing her, she probably isn't sleeping all that well.

I hope your little one does well x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

@boomer girl - Hi, I did think about calling some of the local vets to see if they could treat her. I may do that tomorrow. Inform them on what's been done to her and see if they have any alternative suggestions or treatments to make her feel better in the meantime. You don't think what they give her (if they give her something) will effect her from being able to receive whatever med it is my vet will give her Monday, do you?

I wish my vet kept her there and hydrated and treated her as yours did. It would put me in a better state of mind. Maybe it's because they aren't a 24/7 vet place? Or he saw I was a college student and wanted to save me money, but I let him know I would pay whatever I had to to help her. She's my baby. I already paid $423 on her first visit for the X-Rays, diazepam, and blood draw, plus office visit. Maybe it's because he's not as familiar with the treatment of birds. Though he's been really helpful and supportive so far! And I've been bugging him with calls and questions.

As for the list of stuff I can give my bird I really appreciate it. I'm not very fluent on all the proper medications (let alone how to give them to her). I struggled just trying to get her to eat the peanut butter and metamucil. She never ate the whole dose and I don't know how to force feed without hurting her. I'm glad I can look over the list though. I want to be informed.

As for the keeping her warm, do you think that she may overheat or anything because her body is constantly shocking and that may use up her energy and raise her body temperature? I turned the fan that normally runs in my room to low, but I'll turn it off now. And unfortunately, I don't have a fish tank or anything of the sort to create her a little sick bed. In the new cage I bought her I put a little soft piece of clothe at the bottom of her cage for comfort. I also used the small plastic container to hold her seeds which I placed at the bottom of the cage for her along with a small little plastic bird bathtub she usually bathes in that I put at the bottom of her cage to drink water (she's been eating and drinking from both). I have toys in her cage and bars (I'll remove the bars ASAP. I don't want her to fall). Should I remove the toys too? I feel bad cause I keep changing her environment and I don't know if this stresses her? Another question: Should I put a blanket over her cage to keep her warmer? That used to help her sleep before. I don't wrap it all over. I leave holes so she can peer through and get air, but I drape it over around the cage. And if I Should drape a blanket over her cage should I keep doing that even during the daytime?
    I had another random question: Should I take her outside to get sunlight? I heard something about how that provides Vitamin D and can be good for them. Though I don't want to stress her anymore. Been trying to let her sleep all day except when I change the things in her cage or give her new seeds or change her water. I cleaned her cage today too so I woke her up then also D:.

I may call around to some other vets tomorrow and ask their professional opinion on what I should do. Tomorrow is her last day though so help should be soon.

And thank you so much for your support. I've been a great mess lately. Really emotional and depressed and haven't been hungry. I'm spending my days at home so I can watch out for her (except when I have to work). I'll keep you guys updated on the happenings.

P.S. - Sorry about all the questions! You don't have to answer all of them and anyone else can chime in if they have any advice or suggestions!

@pixibubbles - Thanks for the bit on the heavy droppings I wasn't aware. Gives me more confidence! And I'll look into the millet. I've been afraid to introduce her to so many dietary changes, but if it makes her better I'll certainly consider it.

And I actually agree with you on the spending so much time with her. It crossed my mind that I may be hovering around her too much and waking her too much so I've been trying to make a habit of staying out of the room and checking on her every once and a while to make sure she's okay. Thanks for your wishes as well.

Thank you both!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomers vet was a very good vet and she knew exactly what to do and she did it for him before even knowing if it was metals in his gut. She said that treating them right away is the best thing to do and if they dont have metals in there system then that is great and you can just stop all treatments then. It dont hurt them to treat, she said it hurts them if you dont until you find out for sure what it is bothering them. It wasnt until we got the blood work back showing us it wasnt metals we stopped treated him. If yours wasnt a avian vet it least it sounds like they knew how to treat her because taking blood from a bird isnt a easy job and neither is Xrays. Do you know what meds they ordered? If you find a vet that can give her a shot of Calcium EDTA it will not interfere with other meds. I think it bonds to the metals like the peanut butter does and detoxifies it enough so it wont damage them anymore. I am happy she is eating and drinking and like Pixibubbles said spray millet is a great food to give her when she is sick along with her other foods. I remember when boomer was brought home after they treated him for the metals I read a story about a girl who was travelling that kept her bird healthy enough by feeding it peanut butter and Metamucil so that also seems to me that your vet knew what to do until the meds came in. We use to make boomer eat things but sticking the foods under his top beak. He hated it but it did make him try foods even though he would shake his head and most of it would fly out.

I dont know if the seizures are overheating her so I cant honestly answer the question about keeping her warmer. I do know I heard that sick birds need warmth because they lose lots of there energy which helps them stay warm when they are sick. Every time boomer was sick with his yeast I put a heating pad under his cage and covered 3 sides of it to keep him nice and warm. I wouldnt have a fan on her right now because if she does need to stay warm this could make her lose even more heat. Since you dont have any other cage or tank be sure to pad her cage lots and take the perches out because it would be awful if she did fall down now. I also thought about her stressing because everything changed so fast but you got to do what needs to be done to make sure she is safe.

Boomer was a very sick boy for two years and I know the feelings your having all to well and it makes us crazy knowing we cant do anything for them. I had to force myself to eat and sleeping was a hard thing to do because I was afraid he wouldnt be alive the next day. You really need to eat and take care of yourself because she needs you to be strong for her. What is her name? Knowing her name helps make it more personal because then she is someone we know.

Still sending you many good thoughts and get well thoughts to her. Thanks for letting us know how she is doing and hopefully you can find a vet to call tomorrow to talk to them about her situation and hopefully one of them can treat her for now with drugs to help her. We have a big avian vet school about two hours away from us that was real expensive but in emergencies they were open 24 hours a day and only once did I need to go down there and they saved him so it was well worth the money and time to me.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

My bird's name is Loving ^^

And I called around to a couple of different local vets today. Since it's Sunday most of them are closed. But I called the 24 hour practices as well as places that have an Avian vet or who's site advertised familiarity with small pets, exotic pets or birds.

The first place I called told me unfortunately, their Avian vet of 8 years is on vacation and to hold tight for her meds tomorrow.
    The second place I called went ahead and got my contact information as well as the name of my bird, vet and hospital. They were able to contact my vet for me after hours and had him call me. I felt bad cause I keep seeming to bug him even on his day off, but he found a way to console me. Gave me more suggestions on how to help Loving. He offered giving her another shot of diazepam, but when he found out she didn't respond to it (as in she kept twitching regardless of the shot on Wednesday when I left with her injection) he didn't recommend we give her another shot because it would be unnecessary stress. He also informed me the shot they give her on Monday may not stop the twitches either. That what she needs is to get the metal pieces out of her system and the best way to do that is to have them bind so they will pass. He suggested I try having her eat more peanut butter (he said about 3 sunflower seeds worth of peanut butter a day would be really good for her).

So as soon as she wakes up (cause I think she's been doing her best to sleep the past few hours) I'm gonna remove her bars and swing that she has and then I'm going to try to get her to eat as much to the full daily dose of peanut butter as I can.

And yes, I agree my vet seems well versed on the knowledge of birds. What he says is matching up with all this research I'm doing. And as I've seen on many sites and heard from you as well it is very impressive that he was able to draw blood for her and he did it in such a timely manner as well.

I turned the fan off last night and we slept without it on in my room (since that's where her cage has always been - in my room). I think I'm gonna drape a blanket over her for more added warmth since I don't have any heating pads.

And yes, my boyfriend came over yesterday to try to help me be strong in this situation. He gave me his words of wisdom and I've been trying to be strong for the both of us, Loving and I.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I've been doing all I can for her.

Keep you posted.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy your boyfriend came over to comfort you because you too need to be comforted and taken care of because it does play with our minds when we see our birds so sick. Loving is a beautiful name for your lovie and I am sure she is very much loved. I think the peanut butter is very much needed. And I am happy your vet called you, this had to ease your mind a little bit that they are concerned enough to call you and advice you on what to do. When do you go back to get the meds? Are you going to take Lovings with you so they can check her out again? Do you know what kind of blood tests are being done on Lovings because if this isnt metals in her gut other tests could show you something else that is going on. I was just like you and searched the web and forums for answers and it helped me because it kept my mind sane seeing others went though the same thing and there birds survived.

I hope you can get her to eat more peanut butter today in hopes it will bind to the metals and flush it out. And of course I do hope Lovings gets her meds tomorrow and starts to feel better with each dose you give to her. My thoughts go out to you and your Lovings. Sending you big hugs and stay strong for your girl. I know your feelings your having all to well and its hard not to just fall apart but you got to stay strong for her.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Try mixing the peanut butter with millet. it's a great food. Easy to digest and tasty. It's usually one of the first solid foods that baby birds will eat. When one of my birds got hold of some chocolate by accident (please don't ask - hated myself for it) my bird keeper friend said to stuff him with millet - coz most birds will pig out on millet and it sort of helps them poop anything else out lol

the only thing to warn you (so you don't worry) a lot of birds I know will get kind of sleepy afterwards - like if we eat a huge meal. In fact some birds will almost pass out from it. There's some cute pics of a few budgies and lines on this board who have flopped out in 'millet comas' and my vet told me about one bird who goes almost totally unconscious. So when she has to have tests done her owner gives her loads of millet and by the time she gets to the vets she's half asleep and doesn't even care when she gets blood drawn lol

It sounds like you've found a good vet. I hope the meds come in on time and Loving gets better soon x I did a bit of research - the prognosis for recovery is fair - even with critical cases. As bad as it is watching Loving seize, she's eating by herself and drinking. You haven't mentioned bloody droppings which would be critical too.

It's most likely that this is zinc poisoning over lead - in which case you need to be aware that there can be renal complications. See if you can get milk thistle. You can buy the extract from health food stores - but check it's alcohol free. And be aware it's messy. The best option is milk thistle seeds. You can feed 4 or 5 to a bird of Loving's size. It supports the renal system and helps flush toxins. By all means check with your vet - but I don't think there are any interactions.

My little guy had a big of an infection when he was younger which we treated with antibiotics and milk thistle. I spent about three weeks shoving the stuff down his little beak and fighting and getting bitten before discovering that the only thing Sammy loves more than millet is milk thistle seeds. Go figure lol
    Last edited by pixibubbles; 08-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

@boomer girl - Yes, my boyfriend and my friends and family have been really supportive in this situation; praying and doing their best to comfort me. And yes, my sister named her Loving when she was about 5/6 yrs old. When she heard the bird was a Lovebird she named her loving lol

The predicted date to the arrival of the medicine is tomorrow so I'm praying I hear from them soon tomorrow morning!! He ordered the meds Wednesday so I really pray it will arrive from New Jersey by tomorrow. It'll be 3 business days. And yes I will take Loving with me since the medication will be injected into her. The vet said she will have to receive 7 shots. 1 shot per day so I will be making routine visits throughout the week so she can get her injections. Of course, they will take this opportunity to look over her condition and determine any other treatments. Hopefully, her blood work comes in Monday too so we can confirm what is the matter to better treat the situation. And to be honest, I'm not sure specifically what type of other tests are being done. I hope the results are thorough or they spend more time examining her blood because I did do a lot of research and saw it could be a multitude of other things (nutritional deficiencies etc.) The X-Rays showed something in her gut which is why the predominate theory right now is metal poisoning.

I also really appreciate this online bird community. It's nice to talk to others in similar situations and to people with just as much a love for birds as I It's really supportive and gives me hope.

And yes, my peanut butter feeds with her were way more successful today. I placed about an 1/8 tea spoon of peanut butter on my finger every time I fed her and I fed her at 10am, 2pm and 10:30pm (after I got off work). She ate the whole 10am session, a fair amount at 2pm, and a better amount at 10:30pm though not as good as 10am. I placed it on my fingers and would touch the bottom of her beak with it so she'd lick it off. In the morning she actually made an effort to eat some and for a bit at night she did the same. The afternoon was harder to get her to eat, but I got her to eat some.

And thanks again Deanna, for all your good wishes. It really means alot.

@pixibubbles - Where do you get your millet at? I haven't had a chance to get any today cause I was at work, but I may get some in the future. I normally buy her seeds at Wal-mart. If I recall I think they may have some millet. How much does it cost?
    And I really like the thought of it helping her poop out the stuff and mixing it with the peanut butter, plus she's been sleep deprived from this constant twitching that it would really help if the millet could make her sleep. Thanks for warning me btw, right now I think I'd worry if I saw her pass out lol

And yes I'm really glad I got this vet he seems well versed and informed and invested in her health. And that is one thing that keeps me sane is that she is drinking and eating on her own so she'll have energy in her even if she is exhausting herself with the twitches.
    One thing that worries me and it didn't seem too extreme at the time, but when I cleaned her cage yesterday I did see one bird dropping that looked like it was a bloody one. All the rest were the heavy sticky green ones, but there was a small dried up red one. A few years back (not even sure how many to be honest) she had one bloody dropping in the past. I was really worried. I did a lot of research, but she seemed absolutely fine the rest of the day and nothing ever came from it. I thought maybe the red was coming from the magazine page that she pooped on and that the ink bled from her poop or something? Not sure if this is a same case scenario if it's from her magazine or what? I did take a pic of it cause it did concern me.
    And can you clarify on the renal complications? Do you mean she will have internal kidney complications or digestion or problems using the bathroom?
    I will ask my vet about the milk thistles tomorrow. Need to make myself a to-do list cause I'm afraid I'm going to forget something lol. 1) millet mixed with peanut butter 2) milk thistle (alcohol free) for now! How much does the milk thistle cost by the way on the top of your head? Also how is it messy? =O And I should give her 4-5 a day?

Sorry for all the questions D:

And cool I hope she likes milk thistle too. I've been introducing so many new things to her diet lately.

Thanks!

And thanks to you both!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I wasnt here yesterday and I hope Lovings is still good today and she has been taken to the vet for the first shot.

Does she eat any colored seeds or pellets in her seed mix? Those would make Lovings poops look colored like that. I dont know if this correct so you might want to google it but I think if they are bloody or bright red then it is blood coming from below the digestive system and if its dark colored almost black this is internal bleeding. If I were you I would take her paper that she poops on to the vets with you so she can take a look at them.

I am happy Lovings is eating her peanut butter, this is great news. I am hoping the medicine they are shipping is Calcium EDTA because it is given only by injection and it is the best to detox her body if this is metals. When they thought boomer had metal poisoning it was because he too had something in his belly and after the tests came back negative the vet decided it was some sort of sand in there. I know it was Tile grout because due to his yeast troubles he tended to leap on the floor and try to pry up the tile grout to eat it. That stuff stayed in his belly for over a month and it made me know why most vets say dont feed your birds gravel and grit. If just that tiny bit stayed in his belly for a month I would hate to see what a birds gizzard looked like that had gravel and grit in a bowl in his cage.

You can find millet at any bird store and most pet stores. It is sold as a big bunch of it and it is called spray millet. I would chop mine into about 1 1/2 inch pieces because it is somewhat dusty and if I didnt cut mine up boomer would devour it and end up chocking on it. He did have a crop ulcer but his vet told me many birds will eat it so fast that lots do chock on it but they only eat it fast because they do love it. I fed boomer millet for a month when he was on medicines because he loved it and its easy on there insides.

Hugs to you Sila and Lovings will be in my thoughts until we know she is OK.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

poops are green coz she;s not eating... the bile acid doesn't get diluted. In this case green might actually be good. You know she's not eating, but green means bile is still be produced.

That one little dropping doesn't look too bad. I only mentioned it because most birds get really bloody droppings when have severe heavy metal poisoning. The renal problems are often a side effect of chronic heavy metal poisoning - especially zinc (which a lot of cages are made of). The milk thistle could support her renal system and offer some protection - it's the main ingredient in liver detoxes too.

Milk thistle essense (the on that's alcohol free and from health food stores) is sticky and brown and kinda messy. Think I paid about 7 a bottle and had to bribe Sammy to take it. Very messy and icky process, but worth it if you can't get the seeds straight off.

Millet I can buy in UK supermarkets - but I get it from the garden centre coz Sammy likes that one better. I don't think I've ever paid more than about 2 a box - and that would be from the supermarket. Lose you can buy a kilo for a few . It's just a seed, but one they really like. It's not a drug or magic, just tasty and easy to digest.

Milk thistle seeds (what they get the essence from) are cheap, don't really go off, and Sammy think's they're yummy. He's allowed 3-4 a day - but he's only a little 40 gram fisher's lovebird. A 45-50 gram peachy could probably get 4-5 seeds a day. Maybe more when detoxing - ask the vet. I order mine online - but it's a UK site, so no good for you.

I'm glad Loving is eating x

And welcome to the boards. Sadly it usually panic and worry that brings us here, but lots of us stay

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Your bird is getting the needed vet care. A regular bird owner probably can't figure out exactly what is wrong with your bird. Since this is serious, let the vet do all the care and decisions if posible.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

So it's been a very long and stressing day for me. I'm writing this at work so I'm just going to write a quick synopsis and reply to anyone's direct commentary when I get a chance later.

This morning I called my vet around 12:20pm and found that the medicine was still not there. The estimation would be that it would get in around 5pm or even tomorrow. I was browsing online for any other local vets I could call because I was tired of waiting. I came across the Association of Avian Veterinarians page and used their "Find a Vet" feature. It led me to another Animal Hospital.
    I called them and told them my story. They told me I should bring her in because the longer she waits the more dangerous.

I took her in and they looked over her and the first thing the Avian vet of many years said was it doesn't look like it's lead poisoning to her. She noticed something which I overlooked: that my bird was twitching to the right every time she twitched. The vet's immediate inclination was that it was a stroke and that Loving is only getting good circulation on one side of the body. This hospital had all the paperwork and Loving's X-Rays and Blood work results sent to them from the other hospital. She said the blood work results came in and her lead levels were normal. My original vet called me at this time and offered to send me the medication (to treat the lead) at a cost to the vet I was at. I decided not to get the shot.
    Instead my new vet gave her a shot of Valium (diazepam) to help her get some sleep because she was exhausted. She told me Loving has cataracts in both her eyes. She also told me Loving was very skinny. She was 35 grams and according to the blood paper work from the other vet's measurements on Wednesday she was 43 grams meaning she lost 8 grams over this weekend. They gave her a shot of steroids to help decrease any swelling she may have in case it is a brain tumor and to stop inflammation and help with the stroke. She said steroids are controversial because steroids will lower her immune system, but that at this point it may be the best decision for her. Better than death. I let her give the steroid shot and I have to be careful not to expose her to any bacteria or anything so she won't also get infected.

They also told me to make a sick bed for her. To buy an aquarium and heating pad. They also told me to buy her some Hand feeding formula so she can get her proper nutrition and gain her weight back. I bought some Kay Tee Hand Feeding Formula for her. The new vet ALSO ordered some prescription medication for her. Since I'm not home I can't tell you exactly what they are, but one is Phenobarbital and another "P" medication I have to look up when I get home. [ It was Prednisolone]. One medicine I believe is supposed to help her sleep and treat her seizures, the other is supposed to reduce potential swelling etc. [ Phenobarbital is supposed to treat the seizures and help her sleep, Prednisolone is supposed to reduce inflammation and treat the potential tumor/stroke.]

So much was told to me that I'm very stressed. I had to buy everything and I'm at work now (was almost late). I don't get off till midnight. I was able to set up her sick bed and boil some water for her and my sister's going to try and hand feed her. My sis is watching Loving now.

I'll fill you guys on more detail later when I've relaxed and am able to calm down. They told me I would probably have to give one of those "P" meds to her for the rest of her life. [ "Phenobarbital"] If it's a tumor they said she could live another year with the medication, but it's not reversible unfortunately.

I have to find a way to mentally cope with this and all the stress. And to be honest I'm a little nervous to hand feed. I've never done it, but they told me how. They gave me some syringes and measurements of how much I should give her. Told me to feed her from her left side and to put a drop at first till she starts drinking then slowly put the rest and not to do it from her right side because that's where her windpipe is. They said I can tell when she's full when her crop is filled so to keep an eye on that.

Piece you guys in later. Got to transfer my desk location.
    Last edited by Magicpet13; 08-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor sweet Lovings I have to say my heart is breaking for you. I am happy you brought her into a new vet and they are giving her something for her to take now to hopefully make her feel more comfortable. I dont have any words of wisdom for you because I never knew any birds that had a stroke before. When they get older and have health problems it really is hard for us parronts who need to take care of them but someway you do find a way to handle it. Boomer was sick his last two and half years and it made me a nervous wreck but I would do it all over again if I needed to do it. They are like family and need us even more then our human family. I am happy your sister helps take care of her. If you have problems with the feeding the vets office will probablly show you how to do it. My prayers are with both of you.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

I went ahead and edited my previous post I did at work ^. I put the important additions in red.

I will reply to direct commentary first then give more updates.

@boomer girl - Loving is doing much better than the weekend for sure. I thank you for your kind wishes again.
    And yes, Loving's seed mix is colored, a multi-colored Premium Parakeet seed I buy from Wal-mart. She does have some red seeds in there. She used to eat them regularly enough, but that would be nice to know if that is the cause of the different colored poop she had.
    I have also stopped giving her the peanut butter since the metal theory is ruled out, but in a way I'm glad I gave it to her 3 times a day considering all the weight she lost it may have been the most calories she was getting. She was eating her seeds (not as much as before), but I guess she was burning them off faster than she was taking in the calories because of all the twitching. In the end she may have stopped trying to eat because she was so sleep deprived and was focusing on conserving her energy to try to sleep.

And to be honest I still don't know what medication my first vet was trying to send in. They never told me. I was just informed it would treat lead poisoning.
    And I wonder if my bird ate some tile grout too? I definitely have tiles in my room so maybe that's what she ate or maybe she ate some sand that I and my family may have tracked into my room? Who knows, but I don't think that's the culprit anymore.
    And why do they sell grit then if it's not good for birds? I definitely saw some at Wal-mart when I bought Loving new toys, a new bowl and metamucil.The way they advertised it I thought I should buy it, but I didn't in the end. Didn't want to overwhelm her with changes.
    I forgot to ask my vet about the millet so I haven't bought any yet, but I did see it the Pet Supermarket I went to yesterday. Since Loving hasn't been eating her seeds lately (maybe cause the Hand Feeding formula we give to her 4 times a day is keeping her full) I haven't bought the millet yet cause she may not eat that either. She also hasn't been drinking from her bathtub anymore that I've noticed. What keeps me at ease though is the Hand-feeding formula is mixed with warm water, so she still is staying hydrated, right?
    Also what's a crop ulcer? And how does a bird get one?

Thanks for all your support Deanna! ^-^ <3

@pixibubbles - And yeah that makes since now the reason her poop was green cause the vet confirmed she was losing a lot of the weight. The thing though is her poop has always been green, just not so heavy and thick and sticky and usually more liquidy or not as much white. Is that bad? I always thought it was normal.

Since the metal theory was ruled out I haven't bought the milk thistle, though I like to know these things. I noticed my mom had Milk Thistle capsules after I read what you said, but I believe you mentioned Milk Thistle seeds for the bird instead. And yeah the process sounds just as messy as everything else I've had fed Loving already. And yeah I hope Loving gets back to the 40-50 gram weight again. The new vet and her assistant kept saying "poor baby, we need to fatten her up" and I agree. When I was at the Pet Supermarket I saw two versions of Kay Tee Hand Feeding formula, the plain one and the High Fat. I was tempted to buy her the high fat, but after calling my sister for her opinion we decided to stick as close to the vet's instructions as we could and bought her the regular one.

Though I think she's more comfortable she hasn't been eating and drinking like before. We've been hand feeding her and letting her sleep. Maybe this is better for her for now? And I guess I can ask you the same question too, should I be worried that she's not drinking. The hand feeding formula is mixed with warm water, so she is staying hydrated, right? We hand feed her 4 times a day a centimeters worth each time.

And thanks for the welcome! I didn't know about these bird forums till I started doing research when my bird got sick. Since I didn't see many other people post similar stories to mine I wanted to share it to help inform others. And I really like the community thing and talking to other people who are familiar with birds. I may stick around to keep myself updated on things. It reminds me of this anime forum I used to be apart of when I was younger :] of course, we all have a different binding likeness this time.

@Birdmanca - Thanks for the advice! I always consider this and all my options before I treat my bird. I do a lot of research and I don't settle for one opinion often (as you may see from my switching my vet). I do what I feel is best for my bird and based on her response I edit my methods to help treat her

@boomergirl again - Yes, I'm so glad she is able to feel more comfortable now. I'm a little worried I may have missed some of her phenobarbital dosage when I tried to hand feed her earlier cause I have 2 little stains on my shirt from it. She is sleepy, but I don't know if she is sleeping as well as when she was on the Valium injection. I'm supposed to give her another dose of the Phenobarbital tonight so I'll try harder to get her to drink it all to the full dosage so she can sleep. And I will of course, also call my vet tomorrow to update her on Loving if they don't already call me.

And yes, I've been doing some stroke research. There doesn't seem to be as much research on the strokes as the metal poisoning. I found a few sites that weren't aware of bird strokes or didn't provide that as an option for seizures. Others said strokes were common in birds at any age and lovebirds tend to be more prone, also the older the more likely chance of a stroke. The descriptions of the symptoms of stroke lovebirds matches more closely with what Loving is going through.

And yes, my appetite is absolutely gone now even though I feel like I am starting to get back on track and mentally cope with this better. I'm trying to eat and maintain myself and it helps to have a support group. I have to learn to make this a lifestyle change as it may never be the same, but I think this is making me a stronger person and a better "parront" and potential future parent.

And yes, my sister has been an amazing support group this whole time. She has done all the vet transportation while I hold Loving on a pillow in the car and she watches Loving in the car after the vet appointments while I shop for he necessities after the appointments, plus she watches Loving when I'm at work. Keeps me updated, helps feed her when I'm gone. I don't know what I would have done without her. I definitely felt overwhelmed many a time, but she kept a clear head and helped guide me through.

I also did try feeding her a few times. It's messy kind of like the peanut butter, but she does eat more of it since it is more liquidy. It worries me when it gets all over the place though, cause I wonder how much she missed of the full dose. It especially worries me with the medicine. I don't know if you guys have any advice if you're more experienced on hand feeding?

Update:

The new vet called me this morning to check on how Loving was doing and I took this opportunity to get the medications straightened out. She is taking Phenobarbital (0.04ml by mouth) twice a day for the rest of her life. The Phenobarbital is supposed to treat her seizures and make her sleepy. The other medication is Prednisolone (0.05ml by mouth) twice a day for 5 days and then once a day for 5 days. The Prednisolone is supposed to be like a steroid and help treat inflammation and swelling of a potential tumor and the stroke. I have to wait till 24 hours after she got her Valium shot to give her the Prednisolone. I already gave her the Phenobarbital with her breakfast this morning. I'm not the best at hand feeding. It's messy, lots gets on her beak and feathers, my fingers and my clothes. I told the vet I was worried about not giving her her full dose of medicine cause some may spill. She said so long as I squeeze the drops between her two beaks from the left she should lick it/ drink it. Even so I did miss some of the Phenobarbital, I can tell cause I have two little stains on my shirt from it. I saw some drip from her beak and I saw her lick it, but I'm not sure how much she got. She is still a little sleepy. Not as much as with the Valium. Her twitching is not nearly as bad as the weekend though it's still there. And she seems to be twitching a little more now than with the Valium last night which makes me worried that I may not have given her enough. Her second dosage of Phenobarbital will be tonight so I'm going to try extra hard to try to get her to drink all of it (maybe have my sister help me hold her cause she flails a lot).

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy her twitching has calmed down a little bit because that has to be hard for you to watch and hard on her tiny body to constantly twitch. I would think once she is on the steroid she would drink more water because I once had to give it to my dog and he drank more then ever. My husband also took them once and he drank more water too, I think they make you really thirsty. Maybe every now and then you can hold her and drip some water into her beak to drink to make sure she is getting lots of water. I had to give boomer meds off and one for his last years and we found that if we gave him sips of the meds he would drink it all down. It also helps if the syringe is brand new because after you use them a few times they get sticky and dont push out as well. We would give him a tiny bit and then rub his throat to get him to sip it down and even if its a tiny bit of medicine in the syringe it helped him not shake it all out of his mouth by just giving him 2 or 3 drops of it at a time. Once we were done we would drip some water in his beak to wash away the bad taste. I also fed him millet afterwards and he loved it. Next time you talk to the vet be sure to ask about the millet because most lovies love it. I know when people feed babies the formula makes a mess as well so maybe it is just a messy thing to do. Ask the vet because it does sound like they are willing to answer your questions you have.

My sisters amazon eats fruity pellets and your lovings pellets looked just like Mangos when he ate the red ones. I about freaked out but then looked into his water bowl and he had only red ones floating in his water so I knew right away he was eating just red pellets. He laid two poops just like Lovings and then they were back to normal again.

Thank God for your sister! My daughter and my husband shared in taking care of boomer and it helped knowing we all were there for him. Try to eat, the longer you go without food the worse you will feel. It may not go down well because of your emotions but you got to take good care of yourself before you get health problems yourself.

Boomer had Avian Gastric Yeast which wasnt found in him and he got Pica which made him seek out gritty things to eat. I always thought it might have been because he thought by eating gritty things it would help get rid of the feeling he had in his guts from the yeast growing in there. His ulcer was because he had the yeast for a year without it being found in him. It hides well inside our birds and even with the best vets they dont find it. It is what killed him in the end, the ulcer got so big he couldnt eat his food anymore so we gently had him put to sleep before he turned 13. He was 10 when he first came down with the symptoms and when they Xrayed him that is when they found the sand or grit in him. I dont know why they sell grit and have pictures of parrots on the box either. I think doves and some other birds need it but parrots dont. I know for a fact if I gave boomer grit he would have ate so much his gut would be impacted and he would have died because of his yeast.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Sila, I am hoping your Lovings is OK and her meds are making her better. I worry for both of you and truly hope everything is OK. HUGS to you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I think most loves don't drink a lot of water, and if Loving's getting hand formula then it's probably enough.
    You don't need to ask the vet about millet - it's in most seed mixes and pellets anyway. Might be a good way to fatten up!

Cereals are good too. Cooked rice and pasta will help bulk out quick, and you can mix in fresh veggies too.

A lot of birds are a bit naughty about hand feeding - even when they're adults and able to feed themselves, some like it. I know one breeder who's adult birds got jealous of the chicks, so would try and get the formula for themselves and beg like babies for it as if it's a treat. So long as Loving is eating and pooping normally, she's getting enough food and water.

Maybe ask the vet if the meds can be flavoured or mixed with fruit juice. Maybe then Loving will actually ENJOY it.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

@boomergirl - Oh, that's interesting that the steroids made your dog thirstier. Loving seems not to be drinking as much. I don't know if it's because she's hydrated from the formula or what? I saw her attempt to drink a few times. She doesn't seem to be able to balance as well anymore. Sometimes her twitches will make her flop over or make it awkward for her to reach for her food, etc. I switched out the little bathtub she had since she doesn't seem to be able to get a good hold to reach over for the water with her twitching. I used the cap to my peanut butter. Washed out the peanut oils and filled it with water since it is closer to the ground. I dabbed my finger in water a couple times today to have her drink the droplets from my fingers. Hopefully, the lower bowl will help her drink more. She's been eating her seeds alot lately today. Even after I feed her 1cm of formula through the syringe she still eats her seeds which makes me wonder if we're feeding her enough? Maybe I should put more formula and less water when I mix the two, though I want her to drink.

And yes, the new vet gave us 3 syringes. And the Pharmacist gave us 2 syringes for the medicines. I make sure to rinse them out frequently after use to keep them clean. And yeah, I haven't had a chance to talk to the vet about millet yet, but I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning at 11am for a recheck for Loving, so I'll remind myself to ask her then. Do you think Loving would eat it if she's never had it before?

And I've looked at some online videos on how to hand-feed lovebirds. It's really helped me in feeding her. I found if I hold her head with my left hand it helps me keep her still so I can get more into her. And what I saw the other individuals do as well is once they got the syringe between the beak they put a lot or almost all of it in at once. I kept squeezing little by little and it got messy. I feel more confident now in my abilities to hand feed and give her her meds. I didn't see any drops the last time I gave her her meds and I know I got it in her mouth.

And great! That would make sense if Loving's poop was red because she was eating red seeds. I know I've seen her crack some open and they spill in her water sometimes.

And yes, I'm so thankful my sister is helping me. It takes off a lot of pressure and stress and helps me maintain my sanity. It's easier to have multiple people help too because sometimes my schedule doesn't allow for me to feed or give Loving her medicine 4 times a day. My mom is going to help feed Loving her breakfast this Friday since I will be at work early and my sister will be out of town.

It's difficult feeding her 4 times a day as well as 4 sessions of medicine. It keeps me really home bound. I haven't been able to spend much time with my boyfriend, or friends, or to take more hours at work because I would mess up Loving's feeding/medicine dosage schedule. The fear of how I will manage or balance the next day or couple of days always adds stress, but I'm doing the best I can and sometimes the thought that doing something is better than nothing will take off the stress. I made myself a checklist for everyday to keep track of the times I need to feed her or give her her medicine and which medicine I need to give her when. Putting it in chronological order of time really helps.

And today is one of the first days I finally ate a full meal of breakfast AND lunch. No more hunger pains and more energy. My friends are worried about me, but I'm doing my best to stay happy. I told them it will be a slow process, but I will eventually find a way to cope. I hope Loving will one day recover enough to be more independent in her feeding and drinking and maybe even that she will be healthy enough to not need as many meds. If not I will have to find a way to balance her care with my school, work and social life. Until I can successfully do these things or find a successful compromise I don't know if I'll be the same.

About the yeast, that's sad and scary that it could be undetected. Sorry that happened to Boomer, but it seems you gave him the ultimate care and love.

Thanks for your warm feelings and sorry for the late post. I let my sister use my computer last night when I got off work and haven't had a chance to reply again.

Talk to you later! ^-^

Sila
    Last edited by Magicpet13; 08-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

@pixibubbles - Yeah, my last Lovebird I had whose name was Angel never drank much water. But Loving his sister has always drunken a lot of water, or at least more than her brother. She's not drinking as much as I have seen her in the past. I have checked her droppings and some of them are really liquidy while others were more solid, so I figure both are good. Puts me more at ease that I saw her try to drink today. I'll dab my fingers every once and a while in the water and offer it to her just to make sure she still is drinking.

And I still want to ask about the millet just to see what the vet thinks. If your Lovebirds love it and it fattens them up then maybe it is something I should consider. I'll see what my vet thinks tomorrow.

And since Loving has never really had many different foods before I'm always a little hesitant to start her on new stuff. I know I've tried her on bananas before which she didn't really like. The peanut butter she takes and the formula obviously and a whilleeeeeee back I gave her some sunflower seeds on very rare occasions that she would eat.

And yes, in the videos I watched online about how to hand feed lovebirds I did see a video with more adult lovebirds that were just freaking out for the food when the babies were being fed and were flying over trying to get some. I was too young to hand feed Loving when we first got her (I was 7). I believe my mom fed her the formula, though I don't think she used a syringe. I need to ask my mom again. I've thought about giving her the formula on a spoon, though I hear that too is messy. But it's something the vet tech suggested if I'm not able to feed her with the syringe. I think I'm more comfortable with the syringe now though after watching the videos. My last trial was hardly messy and I think she got most of it down.

She has been eating and pooping normally, so that makes me more at ease.

As for the meds I'm unsure if their flavored or anything. I know when I spilled the Phenobarbital it stained a red-purple color. The Prednisolone when I spilled it was sticky and sweet smelling.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

It is very hard on a birdowner to watch their pet bird have a seizure. I have been through it. Best all around, is vet care from a vet that treats birds on a regular basis. I used to guess how to help the bird out, but some of m ideas were wrong. Hope you and your lovebird have better dayd ahead.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

@Birdmanaca - Yeah, it is really hard. I'm just glad she is getting more relief now. There have been many theories and suggestions thrown around. I consider them all, research them, and always ask my vet for the ultimate decision.

Did you ever find out the cause to your bird's seizures? Were his/her seizures similar to my bird's?

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

Update:

I went to my new vet today (the bird doctor). She said Loving looks much better. She isn't as exhausted. She gained 1 gram of weight since Monday ( I was hoping it was more to be honest :< ). My vet also told me the Premium Parakeets seeds I bought for Loving at Wal-mart are really bad. There is research that they are filled with pesticides and can give birds seizures and other problems. So when I went home I removed the Premium seeds.

My vet gave me alternative foods I can get Loving: organic pellets (which I bought from her at the vet's office), bird bread (which I bought for her at the vet's office) and I had to buy organic extra virgin olive oil and organic eggs (from New Leaf) to make it. I also bought her some millet because I asked my vet and she said she doesn't see why not. She said so long as we can get Loving to eat at this point to gain weight it doesn't matter. Instead of buying the spray millet (the long string ones in stores) my vet suggested I buy the human millet seeds at New Leaf which is what I did. I also bought Loving Organic apples from New Leaf since my vet also recommended apples as well as some flax seeds because they have omega 3s and can help with inflammation. I can only give Loving 5-6 of those a day. They are so little and I mixed them with her other seeds so I can't be sure she ate them, though I think I did since I didn't see all 6 last time I looked. The last thing I bought Loving from the Pet Supermarket was Higgins Cockatiel Gourmet Mix because my vet said she believes Higgins is a safe brand and I picked the Gourmet Mix over the seeds because it has omega 3s and on the back said is made from human selected foods.

As my vet hinted, if the food is made safe for human consumption it is likely safe for your bird too (there are always exceptions of course).

Of the foods Loving loved the pellets and millet she ate them the most. She also may have had some flax seeds. She didn't like the Higgins Cockatiel gourmet mix or the apples or the bird bread.

I heard about a bird fair that is coming to my town in a couple of weeks. My dad showed me the newspaper article. I may go because there will be another avian vet there, they will teach us how to hand feed baby birds, sell cages and feature a lot of exotic birds. I thought it may be neat to go and ask my questions (though I am 100% satisfied with my current bird doctor).

Loving has been more active even though the twitching never stopped (though it's much more subdued). She was more awake today than normal. She kept stretching her neck trying to see if she could climb or escape her aquarium. I put one of her toys in there to stifle her boredom if it ever pops up, but it's better for her to be in the sick bed right now. I took her out a few times when she seemed restless or bored. When she started falling asleep in my hands I would put her back.

I work tomorrow early in the morning so my mom is going to feed Loving and give her her medicine. I taught her how and spotted her today. Gave her a checklist and all the supplies. My sister will be out of town tomorrow.

Other than that my next Vet appointment is next Friday since my bird doctor will be out of town for a bit for a meeting/conference. She gave me her email in case I need to contact her and said she will make sure to check it.
    Anyways, I've talked enough.

Fun Extra Bit:
    I met a 22 year old bird at the Vet's office today (a cockatiel). It's been alive longer than I have! And it's still lookin' good!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy she seems to be getting better with each day and it would have been nice if she gained a little more weight but it least she gained a little bit. I am really happy she is eating more of her food on her own and the pellets and millet are both good foods for her to be eating. Boomer never liked the Higgins seeds much either and the seeds he did eat were not organic human grade ones so I dont think your vet would want you to feed them to Lovings. He ate Volkman seeds and I really tried my hardest to get him to eat organic seed mixes but he really loved his volkman. Some of them that he did eat but didnt love them were Goldenfeast Petite blend, http://www.goldenfeastfoods.com/top-...-legume-blend/ I think your vet would approve these because they are all human grade mixes with lots of herbs, seeds, nuts and fruits in them. I emailed the Goldenfeast company years ago when boomer was sick and asked them if they had samples of the mixes for me to try and they actually mailed me a full size bag of these Petite blend mixes for free and also some of there pellets which he didnt like at all. He also loved these seeds when I sprouted them for him, http://totallyorganics.com/t-seeds.php and they are also human grade.

Did the vet tell you to try to keep her in her tank all the time? Maybe she would like you to hold her and pet her and then fall asleep on you. When boomer was having his yeast flare ups I would hold him for a long time just because he truly seemed to sleep so good when I had him on me. It also let me hold him and admire him and cherish the time I still had left with him. I think out of all the things I truly cherish right now as a good memory is the times he wanted me to hold him so he could fall asleep on me. If she dont seem to calm down and sleep then you can put her in the tank to sleep.

Hopefully you can learn lots more at the bird fair and perhaps the vet will be able to talk to you personally about Lovings and what she thinks you should be doing for her to make her comfortable. I think the more advice the better.

Cool about meeting the 22 year old Tiel. There is a post on here about a 32 year old tiel and he is still looking amazing. I just posted his picture for her because she didnt know how to do it and I am amazed just how handsome he still is at that age. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...316#post804316

Take care and sending you lots of hugs. Your a great parront and in time hopefully this will get easier to you.

Name
    Sila
    Thanks

I never did ask the vet about taking Loving out of the aquarium more. I have been doing that lately when I see she wants to be a little more active and I took your advice and let her sleep outside the aquarium too.

After I feed her the formula I always hang out with her for a while on my bed and I bring her seeds out and water in case she wants to eat /drink more. I'm not sure how much she is actually eating cause it gets all over the place since lately she's been fighting me with the syringes.

I only have to give her one dose of Prednisolone a day now instead of two and then eventually a dose every other day.
    She still takes the Phenobarbital twice a day.

About 2 days ago I was worried she was constipated cause I saw she would try to poo (spread her wings out a little and squeeze), but hardly anything was coming out. I looked at her vent and it was filled with poop that was stuck to her feathers. I researched online (and read things about egg bound females) I was worried she may be egg bound (though she's never laid an egg). I turned the shower on and let it steam my bathroom. I then got a small plastic container and filled it with warm water and sat her in it for about 10-15min making sure the water reached her vent.

She never laid an egg, but the poop loosened up and I was able to wipe it out. Later that day she pooped regularly again multiple times and has been doing so since.

I bought a gram scale online for Loving 2 days ago that I need to pick up from Wal-mart. I want to weigh her daily to see if she's gaining weight and if not I may try feeding her more, or more frequently. I don't have the best grasp on this crop thing, though I researched online. And I don't know how to fill it unless I just keep feeding her I guess. The bird fair may help me on this as they will demonstrate bird feedings for free.

She eats the millet and pellets occasionally. Doesn't like the gourmet mix, apples, or bird bread. Doin' my best. Wanna fatten her up.
    She is drinking though, now more normally!!

That's all the new stuff!