Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Canary Feather problem..?

Hi all, my canary has been moulting since end June, but today have noticed he has what looks like a couple of darker patches at the back of his neck / head...which look like there's not many feathers there... He seems generally ok in himself... Maybe scratching a bit more than normal...

Is this just to do with his moult...? Just I'm not sure I remember my previous canary having this (but then I was only a child at the time)..

Any ideas?? I tried to take a pic, but he won't stay still long enough!!

Thanks.

Louise

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Canary Feather problem..?

Do not know. Remember, if the bird is variegated in anyway, the skin where the variegation is will be darker. This can happen in yellows/lipochrome birds as well. As they get older sometime the darker spots show up stronger as they age. Also rememeber the molt finishes at the head. The pin feathers will stand out more prominent at the head than the rest of the body, this is when you know the molt is getting close to completing. They will be more ichy so to speak during this time. Always allowing availablility to baths really helps loosen the new feathers and helps discard old dander and feather material.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Ok thanks, looked at him again today, and does look a bit sore in the area and there are def signs of new pin feathers there.... I guess it could just be part of the moult... The timeframe would fit, and I didn't realise the head area moulted last... Fingers crossed it'll all be over soon, and I'll have my singing happy Bailey back Have been offering a bath daily for the past few weeks, and 90% of the time he's hopped straight in. Thanks for your answers. You seem so knowledgable!!!

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

The best thing anyone can do for our little friends is to pay attention and observe. Not everything needs attention except pure observation. If we get used to their looks and actions in as many situations daily, any abnormality or change will stand out. Most times their normal behaviors become second nature to us as well, so the littlest change stands out. You're fantastic in that you noticed, most people would not have. Yes they due finish the molt on their heads, this is when it is actually the most obvious, the pin feathers look really starnge if you have never seen them, he'll have a semi crew cut alla armed forces hairdo for a little while. Don't forget baths at this time. They love baths it really helps and makes them feel better to. Some times even a little colder water is a treat. Make sure it is way before bed time so he can dry before he sleeps.