Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

 

 
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How do you know a male and female love bird?

    How do you know a male and female love bird?
    I'll post photos later


    I had 9 love birds before but one by one they died because of the cat.
    Now I can't tell if the 3 love birds that were left are male or female.
    Last edited by GearSpeedKelvo; 08-13-2012 at 11:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Here are some photos I took of our lovebirds



    Last edited by GearSpeedKelvo; 08-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  3. #3
    Brand New Egg Magicpet13's Avatar
    Name
    Sila
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    The best way to know for sure is through DNA testing or if one of your birds lays an egg it is obviously female. This page describes some behaviors that can hint at sex of the bird. But it's no guarantee because male and female lovebirds can be known for exhibiting cross behaviors. (http://pet.taragana.net/archive/how-...ale-lovebirds/)

    Looking at your pictures though it doesn't look like they are lovebirds. Looks like they are Budgies. (http://www.budgieplace.com/colorsguide.html )

    I would also HIGHLY recommend you find a way for your cat to leave the birds alone. I would not recommend keeping the Lovebirds (nor breeding them especially) if you are going to have a pet cat that can kill them. 6 killed birds is a lot.

    See this forum http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ovebird-Owners for necessities on providing a good home for your pet bird. One of the prerequisites is keeping them away from dogs or cats that can kill them.

  4. #4
    Tailfeather boomer girl's Avatar
    Name
    Deanna
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colfax, California
    Posts
    12,075
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 352 Times in 350 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    I too wouldnt keep any bird if they are somewhere a cat can get them, this is just cruel to have birds somewhere a cat can kill them. Your birds are not lovebirds, they are budgies also known as Parakeets. People who know parakeets can tell you the sex of them by the cere color and I can see two of yours have blueish ceres and one is more brown so whatever sex they are by looking at this picture you have two of one sex and one of the other. I think blue is boy and brown is girl but I might have that backwards.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

  5. #5
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cass
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I think blue is boy and brown is girl but I might have that backwards.
    That is correct! There are two males and one female. I will also say that if your cat can get to your birds, it isn't a safe place for them to be.
    ~Sunny my lovie: Cuddle-bug extraordinaire~

  6. #6
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpet13 View Post
    The best way to know for sure is through DNA testing or if one of your birds lays an egg it is obviously female. This page describes some behaviors that can hint at sex of the bird. But it's no guarantee because male and female lovebirds can be known for exhibiting cross behaviors. (http://pet.taragana.net/archive/how-...ale-lovebirds/)

    Looking at your pictures though it doesn't look like they are lovebirds. Looks like they are Budgies. (http://www.budgieplace.com/colorsguide.html )

    I would also HIGHLY recommend you find a way for your cat to leave the birds alone. I would not recommend keeping the Lovebirds (nor breeding them especially) if you are going to have a pet cat that can kill them. 6 killed birds is a lot.

    See this forum http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ovebird-Owners for necessities on providing a good home for your pet bird. One of the prerequisites is keeping them away from dogs or cats that can kill them.
    Really? I bought them in a legit store here named Bio Research 4 years ago.The others were given by our relative. Our relative told me it is a lovebirds.
    How would you know if they are a lovebird and a budgies/parakeet?What is the difference?
    Does anyone have photos of the true lovebirds?
    The cat is not ours its roaming around the village despite we have screens and fences here.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by GearSpeedKelvo; 08-15-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  7. #7
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunnytheLovie View Post
    That is correct! There are two males and one female. I will also say that if your cat can get to your birds, it isn't a safe place for them to be.
    I got confused here what is male and female on my budgie?

    Thanks.
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  8. #8
    Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    The two on the left are male and the one on the right is female because their "nostrils" (called nares) are blue for male and brown for female.
    This is a true lovebird:

    While this is what you have, a budgie/parakeet:

    All three of your budgies are really adorable though.

  9. #9
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaswsunny View Post
    The two on the left are male and the one on the right is female because their "nostrils" (called nares) are blue for male and brown for female.
    This is a true lovebird:

    While this is what you have, a budgie/parakeet:

    All three of your budgies are really adorable though.
    I see now so the two blue ones is male while the green one is female.I'm ****** off from that pet store I bought those parakeet.
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  10. #10
    Tailfeather boomer girl's Avatar
    Name
    Deanna
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colfax, California
    Posts
    12,075
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 352 Times in 350 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Keets are cute and lovable too but the pet store is rather "dumb" that they thought they were lovies. Lovebirds are awesome birds but if you had that many lovies they all would make your head spin. They are crazy and active and they are so much louder then a parakeet so with as many as you had you would be crazy person by now Either that or a lovebird lover like I am and lots of others here on Tailfeathers.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

  11. #11
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Keets are cute and lovable too but the pet store is rather "dumb" that they thought they were lovies. Lovebirds are awesome birds but if you had that many lovies they all would make your head spin. They are crazy and active and they are so much louder then a parakeet so with as many as you had you would be crazy person by now Either that or a lovebird lover like I am and lots of others here on Tailfeathers.
    I went to that pet store recently after years of not going to that store. They changed it finally from calling them love birds now its "DYED(Its spells even like this DIED) PARAKEETS".
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  12. #12
    Brand New Egg Magicpet13's Avatar
    Name
    Sila
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Yeah, not all Lovebirds will get along together. The two lovebirds I had didn't like each other and I had to keep them in separate cages. Budgies/Parakeets make great pets too . I notice them sold in stores way more than lovebirds. And your budgies/parakeets look adorable. Sounds like your pet store doesn't know much about the birds or spelling unfortunately.

  13. #13
    Fledgeling Cheaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Kelvo, I'm very curious. If you know enough to use the Internet to sign up to a Lovebird forum, how is it that you never did any research on the Internet about lovebirds and didnt know you had parakeets? Have you looked for any information on taking care of your birds?

    And the "its not my cat" explanation for your bird deaths. It may not be your cat but they are your birds and its your responsibility to protect them.
    We got lots of Ham here

  14. #14
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelvo
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheaps View Post
    Kelvo, I'm very curious. If you know enough to use the Internet to sign up to a Lovebird forum, how is it that you never did any research on the Internet about lovebirds and didnt know you had parakeets? Have you looked for any information on taking care of your birds?

    And the "its not my cat" explanation for your bird deaths. It may not be your cat but they are your birds and its your responsibility to protect them.
    Didn't had time because I have business I personally go their and do almost everything so by the time I arrived its night time.I am already tired.Someone else in the house takes care of it.I leave the house 5:30am then go home at around 9pm.Now I'm always at home so I am taking care of it and thats why I am hitting those cats now and soon repair the cage to better protect them.Like I said thats what they call it here "love birds".
    GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
    SHIFTING FOR MORE POWER

    www.gearspeedmotorsports.com

  15. #15
    Tailfeather pixibubbles's Avatar
    Name
    Helen
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    8,298
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 70 Times in 70 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    How about a movement activated sprinkler system
    That should get rid of the evil moggies.


    Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

  16. #16
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    sandra
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    These are parakeets and the green is female the other two are male. Look at their nose holes blue is male.

  17. #17
    Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mars
    Posts
    760
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: How do you know a male and female love bird?

    I can't believe one can have "lovebirds" for 4 years before realising they are budgies. LOL

Similar Threads

  1. Need help figuring out if my bird is male/female
    By Pygora in forum Budgie Breeding, Babies, and Mutations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM
  2. Is my bird male or female?
    By Marlow Riddle in forum Cockatiel Breeding, Babies, and Mutations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
  3. female bird wont exept male partner
    By tomiboy in forum Cockatiel Breeding, Babies, and Mutations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
  4. Another male love bird for mine and me of corse!
    By littlelovebird in forum Lovebirds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 07:53 PM
  5. New Bird - Baby? Male or Female?
    By ribet2002 in forum Other Cockatiel Topics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-13-2002, 04:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Message BoardNetwork Home