Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Where to put the cage?

My family is getting 2 budgies soon and we're setting up the cage so it's ready for the birds when they come come We're new bird owners, so we have so many questions >.< We have a spot in the living room that we think might work, but it's kind of close to the kitchen...we don't have any non-stick cookware so that won't be a problem, but will other smells harm the bird? Should we find a different place? Would moving the cage in any place other than the living room make the birds feel lonely? Thank you guys so muchh!!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Re: Where to put the cage?

Well, it's good to put the cage somewhere where there will be a lot of traffic so the budgies won't get lonely. If the wings of the budgies aren't clipped and they could easily fly into the kitchen, you may want to choose a different location but if they will be in the cage most of the time (and you closely monitor them when they aren't in the cage) or the wings are clipped it should be okay. Also, when considering location you might want to note whether there are any dangerous plants or other items that could harm the budgies. As for fumes, there are none of major concern associated with kitchens especially that I know of, but be sure not to use dangerous chemical carpet cleaners or other chemical cleaning agents that could be harmful.
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...oldhazards.php is really useful if you want to know about where to put your cage.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You will find that "budgies" are very hardy and loving birds. Other than throwing seed all over (most do), they are very easy to care for. They love their toys, especially their "mirrors", their food, fresh veggies and water. They also like to be sprayed with water or take a bath on occasion. I've homed budgies for over 50 years. I've had the cages in various locations. Personally, I've placed cages in various rooms over the years. I've also stacked them when I had several budgies in one cage (both top and bottom). I would not place any bird in the kitchen area. Just my preference. You may need to consider covering the cage with a light weight cloth during the day if the air conditioner or central air runs in your home. All birds need to be kept out of breezy and drafty areas because it can cause them to catch a cold. I cover 3 sides and keep the front of the cage uncovered. Again, this would be according to your preference. I also cover my bird cages at night, leaving a small space at the bottom and a night light in the room they are placed so that they will be able to see in the dark. On occasions birds get scared of animals and other sounds from outside. You can always come to the forums and seek advice. We all will do the best we can to answer your questions.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaswsunny View Post
    If the wings of the budgies aren't clipped and they could easily fly into the kitchen, you may want to choose a different location but if they will be in the cage most of the time (and you closely monitor them when they aren't in the cage) or the wings are clipped it should be okay.
    On the topic of wing clipping-- should we go to an avian veterinarian for that, or will a pet store suffice? I want to make sure the birds wont get hurt...do most pet stores have experienced people for that? I don't want to sound cheap, but I wouldn't want to spend any extra money (that could be used toys ) if my birds will be just as safe at a pet store.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, personally, I don't believe in wing clipping, because I've had a couple of birds that I purchased at a pet shop, that had some pretty rough looking wings for awhile after I brought them home. One of them even had some bruises on the wings, so if you prefer to have your birds wing clipped, I certainly would look for an Avian Vet in your area. If you can't find an Avian Vet, then call a regular Vet. I would not look at the extra money part of it, simply because your little birds could end up with some pretty nasty looking wings. I like to put myself in a little bird's place on occasion, and I can just imagine how much my wings would be hurting for several days, or maybe longer, thanks to a person who really wasn't very experienced in clipping bird wings.

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

I have two cockatiels and in my home there is two ceiling fans, an open top fish tank and large floor to ceiling windows looking out to garden patios. My birds are free to play all afternoon on a large bird gym and climbing net. I clip their wings so they can enjoy this freedom and avoid the hazards in my home. It also means I don't have poop everywhere.

I choose to clip them myself because I know how careful and gentle I will be. I studied diagrams first and then placed a towel over them when they were on the floor. With the towel wrapped bird in my lap I can stretch out a wing and clip the flight feathers after being sure there isn't any blood in the feather. It's not that hard and the birds are getting used to it and are less frightened each time. With the frequency that small birds need clipping, it saves me much time and effort to do it myself.

The first time I had a neighbor help me, but then I found it easy to do myself. I really feel it's far less stress for me to do it than a car ride and a stranger grabbing them. And yes, it's much less costly. By my learning to handle the birds, I am also comfortable to apply first aid when required or pull a blood feather that may have gotten broken. My birds are not hand tamed so this has become part of the taming process for us. It comes down to trust and that's learned everyday I work with them.