where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Introducing Miko

Pepe welcomed Miko with excited calls and chirping. They are definitely bonding and happy with each other. The two birds are completely different. Miko is more naturally confident and tries to take toys from my hand before I can even attach it to the cage. He explores everywhere with no hesitation and dives into anything put into a food bowl. It's fun having two birds with opposite personalities. Now we'll see how the training goes. Here's the pics:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Introducing Miko

Miko is so cute and it sounds like he is already loving his new surroundings and you. I am happy Pepe likes him right from the start and hopefully Miko can teach Pepe how fun it is to come out and visit and play with you and enjoy his great bird toys you made for him. I just love all the your bird set up and if I were a bird I sure would love living with you

So did you have to sneak Pepe to your house like you did Pepe? What a great story you wrote somewhere on here about what you had to do to get Pepe all the way to your house.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, Sunny, you sure did yourself proud with Miko!! Yes, I too was wondering, did you have to sneak "Miko" onto the bus too? They are a beautiful pair!! How old is Miko? Do you think you have a breeding pair now? They look just like a couple of tiels I had several years ago. Bobber was my pied and Big Bird was my yellow lutino pied (no red eyes). Both of them were males! And like Deanna, I also admire your setup for them. The cages and the play gym are super and awesome. I know you will be a wonderful caregiver to them. I'm looking forward to reading all about Miko and Pepe! (those names match them perfectly)! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

As I said, my bird smuggling days are over. Once was enough. As it happens, my boyfriend/ex husband was flying into Veracruz and I surprised him at the airport with a taxi to take us the 3 1/2 hrs. to Catemaco. He was pleased, but argued at the expense as in the past he had always taken a bus. I asked the driver to make a stop at the mall for lunch at Carl Jrs. which is a real treat for us in Mexico and he didn't catch on until we went into the pet shop next door and picked up Miko with cage. Then, of course, the realization that the hired car and driver was for Miko and not for him set in. He was happy that my luck was holding and the shop had another perfect bird for me and Pepe. I made it up to him with all his favorites and me too.

Here are the boys, bonding without me, but cute as can be. The pet shop said they get their birds at 8 months so Pepe would be a year old and Miko 8 mo. I believe Pepe just finished his year old molt and Miko was just finishing his first one if that's true. Miko is a bit larger and heavier than Pepe, but he's a real chow hound. Pepe takes a bite and lifts his head looking around each time where Miko puts his head in the bowl and hardly comes up for air totally unconcerned about any dangers that may be lurking. Up to now I have been doing Pepe's lessons with Miko looking on and taking part in the treat reward. Today I will start their lessons individually now that Miko knows what millet is and what "Good boy" signifies. I'm glad you think he's pretty. Each time I approached the pet shop window I hoped for a particular color, health and personality and there he was waiting for me. How lucky I have been.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Such a sweet picture!! I am happy your didnt need to smuggle Miko home like you did Pepe.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Great picture. I'm happy to hear that Miko and Pepe became good friends quickly. Please keep us posted on how training goes.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Today a bird friend wrote after seeing the pic of Pepe grooming Miko that Miko may indeed be a female with that grooming behavior. In my ignorance I thought a female lutino would have a dull orange patch and barring under her tail. Now after research, I know that's not true and the barring may be very hard to see. So Miko, being a feminine name may be true afterall. He's larger and heavier than Pepe, but he's a chow hound and eats twice what Pepe eats. They pretty much ignored each other yesterday and I was happy they were going to be somewhat independent. No more grooming each other. I have noticed that Miko hasn't started singing like Pepe although he chirps and flock calls with a one note yell. That worries me. I had no intention of owning a breeding pair, but what will be, will be at this point. I'm glad I have separate cages and I will be listening for songs from Miko and looking for barring under his tail today. Who knows maybe someday I'll have that hand tamed baby I was hoping for.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, that story about your boyfriend is "hilarious"!! You sure have him under wraps, if you know what I mean! Since it sounds like you are on the "second round" with him, it's your turn to "call the shots"!!

Time will tell if you have a pair. Females tend to make flock calls and some other chirps and cheeps, but do not display nearly the verbal skills as males. Males love to wolf whistle, speak words, and whistle tunes. A few females will speak a word or so, but normally they don't learn words or tunes like males do. You know, tiels can begin breeding at young age. But as I'm sure you have researched it is always a better part of wisdom to keep them from going through the complete breeding process (from mating to hatching) until they are at least 1 1/2 years old, and 2 years being ideal. You sure do have some beautiful cages to keep them in. If they do show signs of mating, you may have to keep them in separate cages until they get a little older, but with the out of cage time they have, their bond will still develop and be strong. You might be interested to know that when tiels do form a bond including mating and chicks, they will be forever bonded. If something happens to one of them, the other will severely miss him/her, and can even die because of the absence of his/her "true love".

In the meantime, enjoy both of them. They are soooooooooooo precious. And you are very talented in being their caregiver. I don't think you have missed one thing in keeping them happy! Looking forward to hearing more about them and seeing more pics.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice, Ellen and I will certainly be following it if Miko turns out to be a female. Two years sounds good. I am hoping it won't be an issue. So far the two of them are not showing any interest in each other, but no singing from Miko. Besides most of my friends having a good laugh at this, at least three have spoken up for a baby and with me keeping at least one I'm not worried about homes for at least one hatching, but I know that once they get started there is really no end to their nesting desires. My stress free retirement just took a surprise direction, but maybe it will lead to more enjoyment.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sunny, I don't know if you have Robins in Veracruz. Here in the USA, especially in the midwest there are always Robins here from Spring until fall. Like most countries, generally the birds mate in the Spring and the baby birds are hatched at that time. Today when I was walking in the park, I came upon a Robin Egg Shell (beautiful blue color), that was lying on the trail. There are many trees lining the trail, and I suspect the egg fell out of a nest. But it is almost Fall here, late summer for sure, and in all of my years I can never remember seeing a robin egg this late in the year. I tried to see if there was a nest in the trees, but could not see one. I walk each morning, so I'm going to observe the area to see if I can hear any baby birds calling for "mom" to bring them some food.

Personally, I think you will truly enjoy breeding your little tiels if you have a pair. Several years ago I had a pair of budgies who mated (to my surprise, because I was very sure I had 5 males at the time), and it was a very fun and rewarding experience. I purchased a nest box for them to use. The female spends most of her time in the nest box, laying the eggs, and turning them and keeping them warm. She comes out a couple of times a day to do her "poops", and to eat and drink water. The male spends his time on the perch or Swing or playing with his toys during the time the eggs are being incubated, but the very "moment", the first chick hatches, the male jumps off his perch or the swing, and into the nesting box. The two birds feed the new chicks. And you can hear them peeping and making noise just like a baby chicken would make. I did not look into the nest box during the entire process. One night I glanced over at the nest box and I caught a glimpse of the cutest little yellowish white headed baby budgie sticking his head out of the hole in the box. Within another day or so, he crawled out of that hole. He was the first hatched. And about every other day after a total of 3 more came out, so I had four of the sweetest little budgies you could ever imagine. There were 2 that looked like Mom, and 2 that looked like Dad. And as soon as they all got out of the nest, Mom and Dad decided it was time to mate again! That is one thing about birds. Their natural instinct is to mate, lay the eggs, nest, and then hatch the chicks. And they go right back to the process again and again. That is why I wrote the info I did in my last post to you.

There are alot of good websites to get information about breeding. One of the best I've found is "Cockatiel Cottage". I don't recall if I ever mentioned that website to you but it is a good one.

I had to downsize my home and move to an apartment shortly after my four little budgies hatched, so I have not had the opportunity to breed any other birds since then. I do think that breeding tiels is a little more involved and challenging than budgies. But I KNOW you can do it, if you choose to do so. Time will tell what direction your "retired life" takes! And just my opinion. . . I do think Miko looks like a female!! If you really are interested in knowing their sex, you can order on-line DNA sexing kits for birds, or you can take them to a Vet and they will do the test for you. Have fun with Miko and Pepe!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Congratulations on picking up Miko.
    Sounds like Miko will be a push over to train.
    Sexing Lutino's is not easy. If you do not want to do DNA testing, then your best guess is going to be behavior.
    Wing spots and tail feather bars may not help you.
    As Maxollie has said females generally make less noise and only the odd one will talk. They will whistle though. And I have a DNA confirmed female that beak bangs.

DNA test is now fairly cheap option (I think around $25) and you only need to pluck two feathers from the birds chest and post to the lab.

With molting I think the first molt may take a few months from when they are 6 to 8mths as they shed most of their junior feathers and get their adult plumage. The next molt would then be around 6months later and not take as long as they only molt out some feathers each time from then onwards.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

In my small town, Catemaco, south of Veracruz on the east coast, the vets mostly take care of dogs and maybe cats. I must talk with my vet to see if she knows much about birds. Pets here are not kept as family members and I have accepted their attitude, but not made it my own. The Mexicans with more money have a different feeling toward their pets, but they can afford to. For this reason it was hard for me to make the decision to get Pepe in the first place, but here I am with two birds and possibly babies. It's no concern for me to DNA test Miko. I will deal with whatever is to be when the time comes and yes I know I would love to experience the birth of baby cockatiels. It's the problems that come along with breeding that scares me. Egg binding and hand feeding here won't be easy to handle so I will research and learn everything I can to be prepared. Also, letting go of little ones to new homes will tear at my heart so that was a big consideration when I chose not to breed. Whatever the future holds, I will fly with it. My wings have never been clipped.