Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hannah
    Thanks

Sexing My two budgies

Hi, I already have three budgies, I got one new one today. A lutino. I also need help on confirmation on my first bird Blizzard, I dont know what variety he/she is. Blizzard is about two years now but I've had trouble figuring out what sex he/she was. Thank you here they are.

The lutino, not yet named.

The lutino, not yet named.

\

Blizzy

Blizzy again.

Thank you all!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jasmine
    Thanks

Re: Sexing My two budgies

Blizzard seems to be female, while your new budgie I think is too young to be able to tell by the cere color. Do you know how old he/she is?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hannah
    Thanks

We named it Spud, and it seems to be only about two or three months. Some of its feathers are still coming in, but I also checked for 'white rings' not sure he/she is old enough for that though.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Buzzy is a hen. As for the lutino..... Lutions are really hard to sex. Even the champion breeders/exhibitors get it wrong. I'm guessing you will have to wait and see if this bird goes into breeding condition like Buzzy is displying in your photos.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hannah
    Thanks

ok thanks

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I cannot tell you for sure what gender Spud is, but I am so tempted to take a GUESS!

Hokay, here's my 'guess'. It's based more on gut instinct built up over years of having lots of birds of all kinds, so please don't count on my answer . I suspect that Spud is a male. The reasons are these:
    First, the intensity of blue in his cere, although lutino males do have pinkish ceres. But Spud's cere really shows the blue. I could be wrong on this!
    Second: Check out the difference between how Spud's eye shape is and Blizzy's. I just get a feeling that Spud's eyes look masculine to me. I know he's just a youngster, but still I can't help but think that his eyes look masculine (Please all experts: don't condemn me for this comment . I've noticed slight differences in male vs. female eyes over the years, as unscientific as it seems. Thanks!)
    Third: Check out Spud's head shape and the placement of his eye in relation to his cere. His head looks 'sturdier'. From what I've observed over the years, females seem to have very slightly more delicate facial features. It is true that in some bird species the males have slightly larger beaks. But sometimes only an expert can detect the differences in size of beak from bird to bird. I'm just saying that overall, his head seems different enough from a female bird's head to make me guess Spud's a male.

Now, like I said, I'm just sharing my GUESS because I really got the itch to take the risk. And, I also figure it might be interesting to share these feelings with others on the forum. I could be totally wrong, but now I'm committed to my guess .

By the way, I don't rely on guessing when I really want to know the gender of my birds. I hand-fed all but 1 of the 8 birds I currently have. So, for the 2 I was really wanting to know the gender of, I simply did DNA testing on them. They both turned out to be male. So, I have 4 male birds and 4 females!

Congrats on your new lutino! He is a really cute baby!
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    kailyn
    Thanks