Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niblet is breathing heavily (New Budgie)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Niblet is breathing heavily (New Budgie)

Hi Everyone!

I finally got a budgie, and I named him Niblet. Everything is going fine, but Nibby is breathing heavily and opening and closing his beak. It is probably stress because of the new home, but it helps to be cautious.

Sincerely,
    Robert_Cox

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Re: Niblet is breathing heavily (New Budgie)

Oops, forgot the pictures of him.

If you want I can video him doing it and post it here.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

can we have a vid??

Is your bird tame??

does he fly around his cage all the time?

have you taken him to the vets for a check up??
    i think you should do that just to be sure!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Hi Britany,

No, he is not tame. He is 3 months old and only came out of the breeders nesting box recently. Whilst the breeder was showing me the birds, I saw him fly a bit, but he can no longer fly as the breeder clipped his wings. He has stayed in the same spot for about 2 hours now, and counting. We haven't taken him to the Vet, because honestly, he doesn't look sick, just the breathing. For some reason, as I am taking the video, he completely stops, and he still isn't doing it. I can't post the video because my computer won't sense my iPhone. I think it was just stress though, because now he is only doing it a little bit or none at all. I think tomorrow he will be fine. Although, I am worried because he isn't eating food or drinking water, or moving from that spot. I put some millet next to him but he isn't eating it. The breeder said he might not be able to eat yet because he was still in the nesting box a lot. I really want him to move around at least. I put my hand in to set up the millet, but he didn't move then though.

Sincerely,
    Robert_Cox

Name
    britany
    Thanks

well... since your bird just moved in, they usually don't eat for a week and don't do much.... but the breathing concerns me... it should never happen if your budgie is healthy
    or maybe he is just petrified that he isn't with his mum or dad or siblings anymore...
    i would get a check up but if you insist not to then its your choice
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

A week? That seems really serious. We got a spoon with some seed in it and put it up to him and he ate a few seeds. He is still in the same spot and isn't moving. He is semi-tame because if I need him to move or something he will get on my finger, hesitantly. I don't know what the breathing is about, but it might be because he was in a big aviary and was taken away. He only does it when he is scared, I think. Whenever there is a loud noise, he will breath heavily and open and close his mouth. Also whenever someone looks menacing. He does open his mouth really wide and wiggle his tongue around, I think it is because he wants his parents to feed him. I can also feel him trembling for some reason, it might be that he his scared, again, because the room is quite warm. I will post the video in 30 minutes.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Ah, phew! Niblet is eating now. He just needed showing that he can eat by himself ^_^. He is mostly fine except for the breathing thing, but still I think it is because of stress. Here is a video. Anyway, I heard him sneeze a few times, but I *hope* it is because of the plants in there. There is a paperbark branch with flowers which are like little strings. My last budgie grew sick and the first signs were sneezing.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Congrats on your precious Niblet! He is sooooooooooo cute! Yes, it takes some time for budgies to get used to their environment. One thing I would suggest is that you google plants and flowers that budgies are allergic to. And also, do the same for foods that budgies are allergic to. Since you say you thought your last bird might have gotten sick from that plant, perhaps it would be a good idea to get rid of it so Niblet doesn't get sick too! From the looks of your video, when you put Niblet closer to those artificial or real plants that are in his cage he does seem to breath faster and his beak is moving. If I were you I would take those plants out of his cage immediately. I have read that birds can be allergic to artificial plants as well as real ones. I would do this on the side of caution. Niblet is sooooooooo precious, I sure wouldn't want to see something happen to him.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Ok,
    I removed the flowers and all, and I am going to put in another branch (without flowers). Niblet has tried some red-leaf lettuce but he isn't hooked. He won't even try broccoli. Anyway, he is being cheeky as he will only eat millet and a select seed in his bowl. Actually, scratch that, he is now trying others . He is such a great budgie!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, some budgie owners do use wooden branches. Again, do a google search for "safe wooden branches for budgies", and you should find information as to what kind would be best for Niblet. (by the way, I LOVE the name you chose). I also wanted to comment on the beautiful cage that you have for Niblet. It really is neat! I'm happy you decided to remove those flowers and other ferns in his cage. I wouldn't wish for you to have to go through Niblet getting sick. I just came from a thread where a lady lost her little tiel today. She had just got him a few days ago, and her heart is broken. I wouldn't want that to happen to you. You know I am a grandma, and I got my first budgie, Mickey, when I was only 11 years old. He was green like Niblet, and also came from a breeder (even way back then they had budgie breeders). He was the joy of my life and he lived nine years. I was 20 years old when he died.

Thanks for posting all about Niblet, and keep us posted how things are going with him. And keep those pictures and videos coming to us. . He is sooooooooooooooooo cute! I just re-watched the video, and when you put Niblet back on his perch, he kind of fluffed up his feathers a little bit. (right at the end of the video). That means he isn't afraid of his environment right now, and that he is learning who you are, and he is trusting you. And do watch him carefully to be sure he is eating because he is quite young, and you say that he was still in the nesting box when you saw him. If for some reason he isn't eating, I would suggest you call the breeder and explain to the breeder about Niblet's eating, and the breeder will be able to tell you what to give him. Keep the millet available to him, because millet has lots of moisture in it, and also has good nourishment in it. It is easily digested too.

You and Niblet are definitely on the way of becoming best friends!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie,

The millet we use is actually quite dry (?). I have not put in any branches into the cage, but I made a small 'out-of-cage' perch made of eucalyptus branches. He is eating and he knows where the food bowl is, and he is also chirping a bit now. I have yet to see him drink, though, so I got a spoon with some water in it and offered it to him, and he drank a bit. Although, I have another concern. Niblet is acting happy, but he is opening and closing his mouth like in the video, still (maybe baby budgies do that because they want food?). He is also sneezing which is also worrying as my last budgie was sick and the first sign was sneezing. I am happy you said that fluffing up a bit means he is getting used to the environment, because when on my shoulder and in his cage he does it about every minute. He kind of wags his tail, too. He also stretches his wings out and lifts them up. The breeder showed me the seeds that all her birds eat (all seed diet :/) and advised me to stay with the same seed so I bought the seed that looks the same.

Sincerely,
    Robert_Cox

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi Robert, Well it sounds to me like Niblet is doing GREAT!! He even took a little water off of the spoon!! One thing to know is that Budgies do not drink large amounts of water. My little budgie, Muffin goes to his water cup, probably a couple of times a day. When I said the millet is moist, I did not mean that the piece of millet is "wet". I meant to say that the seeds on the stock have some moisture in them, and that is like water for birds. You know, I think you are exactly right about Niblet opening and shutting his mouth. I also went back and reviewed the video, and I agree it could be because he is so young. He definitely acts like a baby budgie. I remember the four that I had, and they are soooooooo special. Don't you just love the little "chirps" they first make? And they are just like little balls of fluff and love!! Yes, you are correct about the way he is wagging his tail and lifting up his wings. Those are definitely things that he will do when he is a "happy and content" bird. I think you did make the right decision to take those plants out of the cage. I was just on a budgie website reading all about budgies. I'm sure you know there are many flocks of them in Australia, in fact your fair country is where they first were noticed and they live in the wild. You are very intelligent to think of making the eucalyptus branches for him to perch on. In fact, I would say you could even put a branch in his cage. The article I was reading said that Australian budgies live in eucalyptus branches and trees. So Niblet will feel right at home in his beautiful cage and perching on his eucalyptus branches you made for him. And he is also eating his seeds. That is great news. I'm not sure about the sneezing other than there might be something in the air that is getting into his nostrils. Do you have any trees outside that might be blooming. It could be pollen from the trees or inside plants.

I look forward to visiting this thread every day and I hope you will have some time to share your journey with Niblet with us. You are definitely an "awesome" caregiver. Keep up the GREAT work! Sending wing flaps and beak kisses to your little Niblet from my two birds, Muffin, the budgie, and Ollie, the cockatiel. I'll be requesting that you become my friend here on Tailfeathers. Then you can go to my profile page and see pictures of my two little birds. Good Luck, Robert!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie, thanks for the support! We have that flowering paperbark tree about 10 metres (32.8 feet) away form my window, so that could be the problem. I am using a beach towel to cover his cage at night, but we HAD used it for, well, the beach. We washed it but it still has some sand on it so that could be the problem. I will be sure to check my friend requests . We had one of our eucalyptus trees fall down outside, so I made use of (at least) some of it for the perch, I might go back and get some more for his cage. He is definitely brightening up as this morning (day 3) he was running around on his perch. He isn't doing the mouth thing as much anymore and he has completely stripped his millet spray. He has chewed on some broccoli and carrot and also some red-leaf lettuce. Good thing we grow carrots and lettuce!

Sincerely,
    Robert_Cox

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie, thanks for the support! We have that flowering paperbark tree about 10 metres (32.8 feet) away form my window, so that could be the problem. I am using a beach towel to cover his cage at night, but we HAD used it for, well, the beach. We washed it but it still has some sand on it so that could be the problem. I will be sure to check my friend requests . We had one of our eucalyptus trees fall down outside, so I made use of (at least) some of it for the perch, I might go back and get some more for his cage. He is definitely brightening up as this morning (day 3) he was running around on his perch. He isn't doing the mouth thing as much anymore and he has completely stripped his millet spray. He has chewed on some broccoli and carrot and also some red-leaf lettuce. Good thing we grow carrots and lettuce!

Sincerely,
    Robert_Cox

Name
    britany
    Thanks

That sounds great Robert

Seems like Niblet is going to be a healthy budgie that ACTUALLY EATS his veggies without it being offered
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Remove Ads