Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Budgie just Born

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Re: Baby Budgie just Born

Yes, I can only imagine how you were "sweating" while doing that job. It took lots of courage for you to try it. Isn't she just beautiful?? Nature is amazing!! I will continue to pray that she will thrive and be the continued joy of your life, along with the rest of your flock. Thanks for posting the pic and the update!

Did your other hens also lay their eggs in a very small place/area? You can go on-line and check out budgie/parakeet nest boxes. I think the majority of them will be about the same size. It should tell you the measurements. If you put the box in the cage, that will most likely stimulate the pair to begin the mating process and the hen jumping into the box and laying her eggs. Try to get a box that has a lid that opens from the top. That way, you can have a "birds eye view" of the new chicks!! The nest hole will be in the front of the box, like all boxes, but the lid will open.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

yup they had laid eggs in similar place but that place was a little more spacious n shared by 2 female budgies.
    The issue here is the budgies are left out of the cage the entire day, n just go to sleep in the cage at around 8 pm in night.

So they make their own choice of cage, they did consider my cage box, but did not select it.

If I were to keep them in cages with nest boxes attached they may have chosen the box.
    But since Keeping them open in the room, allows them to flex and helps them get strong wings. I let them enjoy.

The nest box I had was a generic one, with small hole for the bird to go in, a lid on top n back, but these birds are a bit pampered!!

BTW unfortunately the guy I got the birds from did not know their sex, hence I have 1 male and 3 females.
    The male is extraordinarily caring for all the 3 females. so I think its a fine setup ???

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are very fortunate that the one male gets along well with all of the females. It sure is a fine set-up. I totally agree with you about letting the birds out to exercise their wings and be "free" so to speak. Who knows, maybe the other 2 females will lay eggs at some point in time too! And, with all of them out flying, perhaps they will once again find a "secret" place to mate and the hen lay the eggs. You have handled this situation so well, I think you are up to them laying eggs most any place and having success.

My mantra for my little babies is to "Spoil them, pamper them, and spoil them good!"

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chantelle
    Thanks

Congratulations on your new baby budgie! She is so precious!!!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@Chantelleastudillo - Thanks yup she is too cute!!!

Today I took the task of cleaning the area again, but noticed the baby is quite thin, like the neck area, n chest.
    I am concerned if she gets enough to eat. She is still quite small for me to handle or hand feed her.

Look at her

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do you have any bird vets in the area that you could call and even e-mail or fax the pics that you took to them and see if they can give you advice as to whether she needs additional baby bird formula. You can get the bird formula at any Pet Shop or Pet Store that sells birds. It usually comes in a powder form in a can. You will also need a plastic syringe. Follow the directions on the can of food. If you are very, very careful, hopefully you could position the baby a little ways away from the Mom. Let the Mom watch, because from what you are telling us, she is pretty tame and so far hasn't tried to get aggressive or bite you. When you feed baby birds you have to be very careful that you don't over feed them, or get too much food in their crop, because it can aspirate to the lungs and then the lungs will fill up fast and she will die. With a little one like that probably just a drop or two of the formula would subsidize the seed diet they are feeding her. In the picture she does look like she definitely has grown though. The more I look at the picture, the more I think her little crop looks full (the sack right by her neck). Is the father still taking food to the Mom, and have you seen them feeding the baby. Her little beak is yellow color. That is really neat. Maybe she is growing so fast it is making her more long and lean. I have to tell you the Mom is a "beautiful color". Her feathering is soooooooo nice. I hope the baby looks like the Mom. What color of feathers does the Dad have?

I'm very sorry that I wasn't able to pick this post up and answer it sooner today. I've been busy all day, and didn't get on Tailfeathers until this evening. Please let us know how things are going.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

We have a vet in our area, but he is useless for the fact he could not save my mynah from passing away.

So I may not be able to get medical help but rely on forums like this where people have cared for their pets and know things from experience.
    I have vet shops in my area, and a baby bird food can was available.

however while cleaning the place where my budgie family is, I found that the baby is still tiny. She even shakes so I cant handle her.
    She is so delicate and I can see her insides as well. To feed her I will have to hold her still, gosh I am scared I may crush her.

The mother is pretty tame, and has not shown aggressiveness. Sometimes when budgies fight, I put my hand in between them, and they take big bites. Then later they realise its me and lick my hand.
    So I know when they are angry how hard they bite.
    When I tried to clean the place, the mom budgie did not come out making it impossible for me to clean. So I put my hand in and caught her, she pecked me but in a sense "hey take your hand out cant you see there is a baby inside" but not a hard bite.

The mom and dad of little budgie feed her. yes both feed her I think since the male goes in and was handling the baby, could not see clearly tough.

what I am thinking is to let her grow a little till I feel she can be handled by me , and then give her a good diet.
    I just hope she is getting enough for her to grow. She has doubled in size and has white pin feathers coming out. looks so cute!!!!!

Both my budgies are of blue color, dad is slightly more dark. ( Male budgie is of royal blood line, the way he behaves and the attitude is awesome). He is very caring and not aggressive at all whatever happens. Never even pecked by mistake.
    Yup they have very good feathering. Thanks.

ah one more thing, these birds are on a constant diet of bird seeds and coriander leaves. Will this cause health issue, as of now they are extremely fit as per what I see.
    My budgies like to taste curry and stuff when I am not around, like the stuff left on utensils while preparing our food. Will this be harmful ?
    They do this in my absense. Inquisitive little budgies always wanna know what is that!
    Its ok I knew you would answer the thread

Check her recent picture taken secretly when she was trying to balance.
    after few seconds she fell down and could not get up LOL

Below is the picture of the family. The on looking at the camera is Daddy budgie.

Last edited by deaddevil; 10-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! That is such a sweet pic of the baby!! Mom got right back in nest and covered her, and Dad is right there too!! The pair really are beautiful birds. I can hardly wait to see what the baby is going to look like. I would say if they are feeding her, and she is getting some pin feathers she should be o.k. As I had posted earlier, I didn't look in the nest box at all when my pair hatched those four budgie babies I had. I could hear them peeping in the box, but I had read to leave them alone and that's what I did. As I said, I didn't even look inside, I had no idea how many they were feeding. And all of them survived. So, I would agree with you to take it easy on the little one, let the parents continue as they are, and keep her covered with their body and feathers, because I do think they need to be kept warm by "nature" (by the real parents), if at all possible. Is the baby's crop looking pretty full?

Here's a website that I just found that you must visit. The name of it is "Avian Web". That sight says that coriander is "toxic" to birds, and it has a whole list of foods that you should not feed. How long have you been feeding them coriander? And what kind of seeds do you feed, are they regular budgie seeds? Check out the Avian Web. First time I ever visited that one but I'm going to go back and look at that list myself. I googled the following words: "Can budgies eat corriander seeds", and up came that website. See if there is a list of "good foods" that budgies can eat on that web site. Maybe you can find something to substitute for the corriander leaves.

I agree with you that the baby is very, very delicate. The box area looks really nice and clean now. You are doing a great job at taking care of all of them. I'll stop back tomorrow to see how things are going.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She passed away. I'm hurt what did I do wrong ??
    also there was an egg which was broken, n it was smelling, could it have taken her life? I had only checked one day before.
    That baby did not deserve to die :'(
    even the parents fed her well, as from what I saw

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awwww, I'm so very, very sorry this has happened. Please don't blame yourself. I know that is an easy sentence to write and a very hard thing to have to deal with, but I admire you so much for doing all you could to keep that baby alive. As far as the egg that was broken, it is not uncommon for it to be smelling because it most likely had an embryo in it that had not developed and/or did not hatch.

Did you go on-line and read about the coriander/leaf/seed? Now please know, I'm not saying that the coriander leaf made the baby die, but from what I read on that website, I definitely would consider not giving your birds any more coriander seeds and/or leaf.

You know, bird breeding is a very "delicate" mission. There are so many things that have to go exactly right from the mating right up to the hatching, and the growing of the baby birds. I think you will have a much better chance of having a successful breeding experience, as well as the hatching of the eggs if you will put the pair in a good size cage, and then put the nest box in the cage. And personally, I wouldn't let them be out and about free-flying while they are in this mating/breeding stage. Why I say that is because the Mom seems to always find these very small places to lay her eggs, and she tries to incubate the eggs, (keep them warm), so they will hatch. And in the confined space that was there, it was a pretty touchy situation for any of the eggs to hatch, in fact in my opinion it was a miracle that one of the eggs hatched at all. Be sure and feed the pair lots of cuttlebone/calcium for awhile before you put the box in the cage. Since the hen has just laid a clutch, you will need to wait a few months before you try this again. But, if you don't keep them in a cage with no free flying, then most likely they are going to find a place again to mate and lay those eggs, and then you will have the same problem all over again. And of course, with both of them in the same cage, you may very well never get a few months in before they mate and she starts laying eggs again. Do you have two cages that you could put each of them in and put the cages side by side? Do all of your other birds have free-fly around your home also, because I'm thinking if you let this male budgie out to free-fly, he might just get to mating with another one of your hens, and then, the same thing can happen with that hen, laying eggs in very small and obscure places.

If possible, see if you can go on-line, google "budgie breeding", and learn all you can about the process, and what the experts recommend to do. I'm no expert, even though I've had budgies around my home for many, many years.

I truly don't think you did anything wrong. You worked so hard with that little baby. And I think that Nature ALWAYS has a way of having the final outcome for all of it's creation, including baby birds. So for whatever reason, it is probably best that the baby did not survive. But don't lose heart. Do some studying about the breeding process, and then follow the expert's advice. Hopefully, you will have success the next time around. And take care of those sweet little parents. They truly are beautiful!

Fly High and Free, little baby budgie! You were loved and well cared for in your short life!
    Rest in Peace!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind words and words of advice.
    Yes I checked about the corriander leaves, but received mixed opinions. See below where they feed their birds corriander
    http://budgerigarsforum.proboards.co...ead=295&page=2

Also the birds crave for corriander, and have been eating them for quite some time now more than a year.

They do not show signs of sickness or any health related issues.
    Also I have just one cage, that was basically used for them to sleep during the night. The more they stay in the cage they will face issues with their bones and wings, flight etc.

Also the issue is they whistle when they wanna come out in the morning and are used to staying out of the cage.
    So during the breeding stage I dont know how will they adjust.

Btw the white budgie just laid 2 eggs again. I dont know if I have to be happy or sad.

I will research more on budgie breeding as well.

I was wondering did my baby budgie die because of the broken egg (had a tiny embryo in it) or due to issue with feeding ?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, it is a possibility that the broken egg could have played a part because in my opinion that egg was full of bacteria. Since you found information that indicates coriander is o.k. for them to eat, then it will be your decision whether to continue with it. Another suggestion is to go to a website called "Talk Budgies". I've been there before, and basically it is very similar to this website except that it deals almost 100% with budgies. You might just find someone there who is very experienced, and will give you some suggestions and advice as to the coriander, as well as what has happened to your little baby budgie, and as to the hens laying their eggs around your home rather than in an egg box. I sure hope that things will go better with the two new eggs.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

yes, ill surely do that. Thanks again

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry your little baby died It was such a cute little baby and it does sound like you really do love your birds and like Ellen said babies are tender little things that sometimes just dont make it.

Fly free little baby... and sending you big hugs for loving it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads