Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 4 month old tiel licked some carex handwash :-(

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

4 month old tiel licked some carex handwash :-(

My four month old tiel nibbled on a tissue someone had left out to wipe up a bottle of carex they'd dropped.and had she seems ok and only had a tiny nibble on the corner before I saw what was going on and cleaned up.
    She didn't seem to be effected (went straight over to her bowl and ate) but because it was pretty much as tissue with the handwash gel on it I can't help but worry especially seen as I go to great lengths to rinse away all remnants of it from my hands if I ever have to use it

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: 4 month old tiel licked some carex handwash :-(

It is antibacterial and the ingredients which make items antibacterial are toxic to tiels. I would call your vet and see what they recommend. It could likely make her ill and she wouldn't show any signs until it was already pretty progressed.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

That's what I thought the nearest avian vet is with the university so keeps weird hours. But we have a non specialized vet to deal with the everyday.
    I'm crossing my fingers all will be OK, will call the local vet

Such a stupid accident

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Accidents happen all the time so dont beat yourself up, it least you are here trying to see how to help her so that is telling us you really do take good care of her. Hopefully she didnt get enough in her body to hurt her and I am happy your calling the vet to see what signs to look out for.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She's pretty much my baby lol
    But being so fragile has me a Tad paranoid
    Was amazed how easy her body language was to read (I'm new :-) ).

she came with a warning about being nervous and difficult (one of the reasons I brought her home) people were being advised to pass her up.
    3 days and she was hopping around her cage eating and drinking. Taking millet through the bars and nibbling on my fingers and eyelashes.

Settled in faster than I would have expected a non-nervous bird :-)

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you didnt listen to the warning about her and took her home because it sounds like she isnt either nervous or difficult at your house. Lots of us here think of our birds as part of the family and I can feel your worry over her licking this curel. When boomer was alive we had many scares with him eating things he shouldnt have and he always seemed to be perfect but we were a mess with worry when we didnt know if it would hurt him. I would give your bird lots of water and extra food to somewhat dilute the carex and that is all you can do right now. If you can get ahold of a vet hopefully they can relive your worry by telling you what to watch for and what to do. Do you think she got lots of it when she licked the tissue? I wouldnt think she would lick too much of it because it has to taste awful but who knows what a bird think tastes good and not. Watch her poops and if they turn mushy with the white and green part all mixed together in a pile of mush I would take her to a vet right away. One or two different poops is OK because they seem to change all the time but if you see lots of mushy poops do take her to the vet.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think she only got a taste or two, no trying to eat it for dinner thankfully

It's been a couple of hours now and ivy is happily doing her testing everything in sight for amusement value routine :-)
    Besides being a little grumpy from being woken up early this morning nothing seems out of the ordinary

Sorry to hear about Boomer, it's easy to see you really loved him

I cant imagine not having her around, it must be awful to lose one ;-(

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Losing them is horrible but what they give to you when they are alive makes the pain in the end it least a little bit easier. That is why us who love our birds do really worry when they do things they shouldnt do... like licking carex. I am happy she didnt eat too much of it and hopefully with her doing what she normally does that is a good sign that she will be perfectly fine. Ivy sounds like a happy bird with great people to take care of her. Once this scare is gone we would love it if you hung around and shared her with us here.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Make sure you keep her area cleaned up pretty well for the next few days, if she did ingest some it may have killed off some of the healthy bacteria in her body that helps her fight off infections, since that stuff doesn't care what type of bacteria it kills. Keep water clean, fresh food, etc.