Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Question How long do parakeets live?

I have 4 parakeets- Cobalt, Kiwi, Squiggles, and Dawn.

I used to have 5, but Mangoe (yes, there is supposed to be an 'e') was found on the bottom of the cage dead): She had bad steering control, and I think she smashed into the wall one too many times and got brain damage. Either that or a heart attack (she died the day after she got her beak trimmed at the vet's).

I take rather good care of my birds- they have a huge cage but the paces between the bars are too big so I just leave the cage open all the time lol!(: They love to fly around my room (bird safe) and perch on the window to look out

They have fresh water every day and regular access to seeds, and I try and give them fresh fruit or veggies every day. I am working on taming them (Cobalt in particular).

Books say parakeets live for about 8 years, but online sources say that the average is really 4ish?

How old are your keets/were they when they died?

Thanks!(:
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: How long do parakeets live?

Hi, Lark! The first parakeet I had was back in the '50's when I was a girl of 11 years old. Mickey was a hand-raised parakeet. Back in those days, there were not nearly the pet stores/shops that we have now, and the many different foods, toys, cages, etc. that we can choose from now were not available either. We bought a small and I mean small cage for Mickey. He had a swing and one toy in his cage, and a cuttle bone. The seed that was purchased was in a box and was sold by Hartz Mountain company. Other than the seed and the water, Mickey never had any additional foods like fresh veggies, or fruits, or bread, dry cereals, etc. And Mickey lived to be 9 years old.

I think many things figure into the life of a parakeet, including its genes, (DNA), its environment, and the foods/seeds/pellets it eats. I'm sorry to hear that your little Mangoe died.

Rest in peace, Mangoe, and Fly High and Free over the Rainbow Bridge!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jimmy
    Thanks

Naava,

I have had several parakeets over the years, although one in particular I can never forget. His name was Zero. I bred him only one time, and he and his mate had a brood of 3. I taught him to mimic the microwave, running water (on his own), and he "wolf whistled". He has always been my favorite pet over the years, and I can truthfully tell you that he lived to a lengthy age of "12" years!!! I fed him lots of millet sprigs, and personally clipped his wings so I could take him shopping with me in the summertime. You know you've gained a bird's trust when he would allow me to give him kisses under his wings....

Name
    Walelia
    Thanks

hello-i am so sorry you lost your little mangoe-my mika lived just over 12 years and i miss him terribly...it probably has to do with each individual bird and the many factors in environment and care....sadly i do know friends who have had birds who have had accidental crashes-even wild birds sometimes fly into windows and hurt themselves....all of this can effect the longetivity of a birds life-
    ~NVWADOHIYADV~

Name
    Lia
    Thanks

A year ago my dear budgie "Bibi" passed away, she lived to be 13 years old. She was the sweetest little budgie I've had. In her long years she had 3 clutches of baby budgies, in 2 clutches she had 7 and in the other one 6. All the little sweeties survived. Her first and second clutch were given away to very loving homes, as for the third clutch I wanted to keep, but unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep so I had only kept one of all her 20! beautiful offspring which I adore and care for to this very day. Her mate sadly passed away too, he (Wolf) sat right next to her while she was dying, trying to die with her. I tried making it easier for him and tried to take her away for him to not see her die, but he would chirp with sadness as if telling me to leave her. as she was dying he sang to her. and later that day they both had passed away. I had buried them under a tree the next day. My "Blu" (Bibi's offspring) is so precious to me, especially because he looks like his mother.

*I did take bibi to the vet to see why she was sick. They checked up bibi and said its because she was getting old and fragile... as for wolf he died being 12 and also died because of natural causes*

*Bibi & Wolf*

R.I.P My Bibi and Wolf.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Budgies can live up to 15 years. The oldest recorded Budgie was 20. Right after my little Jet had her clutch of eggs, she flew out of the cage and hit the ground really hard. At first she seemed ok, just wanting to cuddle. Then she just didn't seem right and 15 minutes after she hit the ground, she died in my hands. She was almost 2. She was my only friend for those 2 years I had her. I always would say, I hope she has chicks before her final days, but I didn't want those days to be so soon. I wish I could turn back the clock and not have opened the cage at that moment. I miss her so very much and wish there was a to change what had happened.

R.I.P. my little Jet, Jet. You are forever

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

we had one who was at least 17/8
    I say at least because he was a gift, and he was fully grown adult, with the rings around the eyes when he arrived, and they had him at least 17 years... so he was probably pushing 20

Mine personally? 12 (cute little runt Nan had), 7 (but he was quite a poorly bird), 9 (heart attack at vet - still makes me want to cry) and 14.

I was told 5-7 is average (depending on breeding), 10-12 is good. Anything above 15 is exceptional

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Aria was almost 6, she also died at the vet's who was trying to give her a crop rinse. She came through the first one just fine and died during the second one a week ago tomorrow but she had been sick a little over two months and he tried antibiotics but she wasn't getting better. My first parakeet was nine when I went away to college and my dad's secretary took him when I left so I don't know how long he lived.