where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Question for people with male peachfaces

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Question for people with male peachfaces

I don't mean to be picky or rude but this question is for people who are 100% positive that their bird is a male. Either they've impregnated a hen or through DNA test results.

Does your male do any of the following?
    Nest building (not just picking at it but actual building),
    Tucking nesting material into their rump feathers,
    And hunkering down in contact with the ground as if they're sitting on eggs?

I ask because I'm now wondering if Clover is really female and I really don't want to have to draw blood or pluck feathers to figure this out if I don't have to, but it's driving me nuts not knowing for sure so I hope your answers might help me figure this out. Thanks guys.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Question for people with male peachfaces

Boomer was never DNA'd but he lived for over 12 years never laying a egg and humping anything and everything that fit between his legs so if he was a girl surely he would have had eggs.

To answer your questions, no he never built any kind of nest. He did tuck strips of paper in his rump feathers and did it very good. He never hunkered down on the ground except for when he was tired and sleeping in his bed box and then he usually was leaning on the side rail to get more comfortable.

How is Daisy and Clover doing these days Michelle?
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Boomer was never DNA'd but he lived for over 12 years never laying a egg and humping anything and everything that fit between his legs so if he was a girl surely he would have had eggs.

To answer your questions, no he never built any kind of nest. He did tuck strips of paper in his rump feathers and did it very good. He never hunkered down on the ground except for when he was tired and sleeping in his bed box and then he usually was leaning on the side rail to get more comfortable.

How is Daisy and Clover doing these days Michelle?
    They're doing pretty well, thanks for asking! Clover doesn't seem to be itchy anymore! Her wing healed up since her last mutilation and so far, she's left it alone and has even let the feathers grow back in!!!!!! Sucks that there's some baldness and the feathers are no longer quite so normal (one is growing at a weird angle and they're VERY fragile when they're pins) but WHATEVER! We'll take it over no feathers!

Clover also has gotten over her low grade crop infection. Good thing we caught it at the beginning. You'd think she was seriously sick the way she was carrying on. My babies are such drama queens. They do NOT hide signs of illness! They milk it for all it's worth. Lol.

Daisy is nice and calm. No hormonal rages or more eggs. We've sorted out her resource guarding her ball toys. We counter condioned my touching HER toys by my offering yummy millet every time I would touch one and then I'd roll the ball around while still offering millet.

We've been doing some trick training. She's mastered turning in a circle and target touching and coming when called (we touched up on that). Clover is working on mastering these things too. She's so smart and picks up faster than Daisy. She's more of a piggy too so the seeds are more rewarding to her. I think I'm going to teach Daisy to retreive to hand and play "basket ball" because she's so toy oriented. And now that Clover is back down to just one medication, and it isn't so awful tasting, we can finally get back to syringe training so I can stop toweling her to get her meds in her.

All in all, good stuff!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy Clover is not picking at her feathers anymore, this has to make you and her so happy she finally stopped. I didnt know she had a crop infection and that is scary to me because I think that is what started all of boomers troubles with yeast. Do keep a very close eye on her just incase it comes back but I know you already keep a eye on both of your birds. It is good your birds are drama queens and let you know when they dont feel well or not like something because that means they trust you enough to let you know something is wrong.

I am shocked Daisy is being so nice these days and what a great feeling it has to be that she finally isnt attacking you anymore. Guess she must love her millet enough to be nice to you which is a good thing that you figured out to use as a "good girl" treat. It truly sounds like all of you are happy with each other now and your house is now a happy bird home to everyone. Basketball, well sort of like basketball was one of boomers favorite games he played. We used marbles and would put them in a small shallow cup and he would pick them up and carry them a tall glass (so he could see them) we had set up for him and he proudly would empty the cup and put all the marbles into the glass. He was always so proud when we cheered for him after he made his basket.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads