where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Calcium shot killed my budgie David :(

Name
    Taleen
    Thanks

Unhappy Calcium shot killed my budgie David :(

Hi Everyone,
    I noticed my budgie David was depending on his beak to move around the cage. I cried for three days seeing him move slow. But he was in a good mood chirping eating and drinking. I took him to an avian vet. She said she can't see the problem unless we do a blood test but even then we might not see anything so he might need x-ray and even then we might not see what is the real reason. So she suggested before blood test to give him a calcium shot so that if he had calcium deficiency he will get better. I agreed because I wanted to do something quick to fix him. When she brought him back from the other room after giving the shot his eyes were closing. I asked her why is my bird shutting his eyes. she said he is tired from travelling. She didn't say to me either he gets well or he dies by the time you get home.
    I came home and I got him out of his carrier and he was face down breathing heavy, I carried him and called the avian vet and she said, oh it must be from travelling back and forth to the clinic, he must have gotten so tired. I asked her could the calcium shot make him sleepy or dizzy? She said yeah a little bit just put him in the cage and make sure there is water and food in the cage. I put him in the cage and he flapped his wings couple of times and then he never moved. I called the vet again and she denied that the calcium or whatever she gave him killed him. My David was only 3 years old, he was chirping in the clinic because they have an aquarium that made water sound and he started calling me "bibi" that is what he says to me if he wants me to go near his cage. He was fine in the clinic.
    Has anyone had the calcium experience?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Re: Calcium shot killed my budgie David :(

Well, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a little budgie. I lost my little Maxi about a year ago at this time. I can't share any thoughts about the calcium shot because I've never even heard of anyone giving one to a budgie. But I just wanted you to know that I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm sending you a big hug!

Fly High little David! Over the Rainbow Bridge!! Rest in Peace!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss Taleen. I think it sounds like whatever was wrong with your David in the first place was what ended up killing him. It was probablly stressful enough on his body to go to the vet and be given the shot and checked out that his sick little body just couldnt take it anymore. Birds dont show there sickness until they are really sick so he must of been in bad shape by the time you brought him to the doctors. I am not saying the shot could have made it worse but I think all of it together is what was just too much for your poor little David. Truly I am so sorry he passed away because I know the pain your feeling and it is a awful pain and heartbreak to have.

Fly Free David...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss.

It does sound like David was a sick little bug if he was moving slowly and using his beak to drag himself around. However, I am shocked that your vet would be so casual about him after he got back and was being so lethargic. My vet would have said bring him back to me ASAP, especially if I were already concerned about his health. A calcium shot should be safe, but they are tiny little birds, so there is always a possibility of hurting them when you inject a needle into them if done improperly, air bubbles, etc. The only way to know for sure is to get someone to do a necropsy, but you would have had to preserve the body in order to have that done.