Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mixed Aviary

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dylan
    Thanks

Talking Mixed Aviary

Hi all,
    For a while now, I have been playing with the idea of building my birds an indoor aviary. I have 4 cockatiels and 2 budgies. They are currently in separate Vision cages. The cages they are in now are far too small, in my opinion. They do get times out of the cage a lot, but I would like to give them a bigger space.

That being said, I've thought about nearly everything. Acrylic aviaries, wire aviaries, two separate aviaries, one big mixed aviary and every single detail from lights in too to an air filter. What my plan right now is looking like is a large 6 x 2 x 4 foot tall acrylic aviary. I plan on making the framework out of wood, with the sides made out of acrylic. Lots of perches, bamboo, swings and other things will be provided because of the lack of wire bars to climb. I have the plan of the aviary figured out, I just don't know if it will work.

My birds are always out of the cage together and they socialize a lot. One problem is that the male budgie is crazily obsessed with one of the female cockatiels. Like the second I open the cage, he flies out and follows her everywhere. He does this thing where he fluffs all his feathers and taps his beak against hers. She mostly ignores him until she gets fed up and chases him away. The other budgie is a female and is super laid back. The cockatiels never show aggression to the budgies, but I fear that constant contact with a hyper active budgie may push the cockatiels over the edge. I was also thinking that since the cockatiels make a huge mess with spilling their food, I could have button quail at the bottom. Is this idea too far fetched? I would have extra cages in hand if ever disaster struck, but I don't want it to be too late. Should I try having the budgies and cockatiels together in the cockatiel cage for a couple hours under observation?

Thanks for the help!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Mixed Aviary

It sounds like you really have planned this all out and I think it sounds like it will be a great aviary for all of them. I cant really answer the question about the hyper budgie but it seems like if they all get along now perhaps there wont be any problems housing them all together. I have seen budgies and tiels together in other aviaries before and they all got along but it wasnt like I was with them that long to really notice if any fights happened when people were not around. Perhaps Clive (Clawnz) will see your post and tell you what he thinks. He is very knowledgeable with birds and goes to lots of bird training courses and he might actually know if it is a good idea or not.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Thanks Boomer.

My take on having Budgies and Tiels together?
    Yes it can work I have seen it work. But most will tell you it is not a good idea as it is the budgies that will give the Tiels grief.

If it is working now when they are out, it could well work, as long as they have enough room to get away from each other if needed.
    And you may have trouble when the hormones are high. And the quail should work, they always seem happy in any aviary I have seen them in, no matter who else is in there.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dylan
    Thanks

Thank you for the replies!
    I think what I am going to do is, one day while I'm home, I'll put them all in the same cage and watch them throughout the day. If all goes well I can go forward with the build. If something arises in their new cage then I will keep a cage ready to move the budgies out. If problems persist I can always separate the aviary into two smaller ones with a dividing wall.

As far as the quail go, I will probably start with the cockatiels and budgies only first. If everything is good after a while, I will add quail! I find them adorable and it kills me that my cockatiels spill so much of their food. I get them really high quality, high protein pellets, so instead of it all going to waste, the quail can benefit from the spilled food!

I will definitely keep you all posted on how the project is going!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Can I suggest you set up a new cage when you try this, then it will be new to all of them. And not a home for some and others moving in.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dylan
    Thanks

That's a good idea clawnz! Introducing them all to a neutral territory may work better! Thank you!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael
    Thanks

I have a mixed aviary with tiels, javas, pheasants, quail, turqs, (no budgies though) and they all get along fine, apart from the quail picking on the pheasants sometimes, who'd of thought.

Remove Ads