where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

Breeding Cockatiels.....problems

Hi!

i have a female lutino cockatiel "MADDY" and a male pied cockatiel "MAXY". recently i gave them a pot as a nest and put in 2 inches of sand{as nesting material} and they readily accepted it.
    The male went into the pot and started arranging it as per its likes...and then the female too joined it. The female is very active and playfull and affectionate.

The main problem i am having now is that the male is not coming out of the pot..rarely comes out once in a day. the rest of the time it is in the pot and swaying from side to side. since two days it has stopped eating and drinking and is spending 99% of its time in the pot making squeeking noises/tunes/whistles and calling the female into the pot . the female is eating normally witout any change. The male even if it comes out of the pot is eating only a couple of seeds and immediately goin back into the pot.

the female poop is large dark {atleast 2 -3 times a day} and smaller poops in the night as it sleeps on the perch.
    the male is pooping only once a day and that too loose , large.....but its not eating {otherwise it is healthy, has become a little thin }.

1}am afraid that the MALE maxy is in a suicidal mood....might kill itself{harakiri}....PLEASE help me out some one.

2}is it absolutely compulsory for any female cockatiel to lay eggs{infertile}even if it does not have a male . my female is almost 2 yrs old and has never laid any eggs at all {even when it was alone}.

IS THIS NORMAL NESTING BEHAVIOUR.......is the FEMALE secretly feeding the MALE inside the Pot{nest}.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Cockatiels.....problems

First I would like to say not to use sand as a nesting material. Sand is not a good medium for any Tiel to have around let alone in a nest.
    Second are you sure the bird in the nest is male? It sounds like female to me! But I could well be wrong, males can be strange about nests sometimes.

I feel you would be best to take the nest away. That will solve your problem of having one bird staying in the nest.

No it is not compulsory for female s to lay, and if she is not laying can I ask why you want her to?
    Females can lay where there is a male around or not.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

I know that the one sitting in the nest most of the time is the male as it is always on the top while mating and it whistles and acts manly with its chest and wings and it was the first to go into the pot and start arranging the pot and sand and it drove the female away from the pot untill it finished arranging it for 3-4 days . The male is sitting in the pot most of the time while the female goes into the pot as soon as the male gives it a whistle or sqweek or call . THE male and female mate almost daily and sometimes even twice a day.
    The pied male is the one on the TOP and the female lutino is the one lifting its tail and giving a pose for the male to get on top . the female is on the bottom . the male rides on the back of the female.

well the breeder from whom i got the male told me to use sand in the nest pot as it is safer than straw/hay/grass. both my tiels seem to like the sand in the pot very much as they start digging it and pushing the sand around and have settled well in the pot without any fuss .
    Last edited by maddy; 12-21-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

the vet and the breeder and many pet shop guys i know confirmed my PIED to be the MALE and the LUTINO to be the female. I think they can visually sex birds and this comes by experience. so i'm sure of the sexes and also the whistling and aggressiveness and the wing shape {heart shape}, the mating positions and sqweek all are a good guide to sex the COCKATIELS.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

one more question........ my female lutino has never laid any eggs {fertile /unfertile} and it is almost 2 yrs old.
    some one told me that the female will lay eggs even without a male companion and these eggs will be unfertile . So is it compulsory for female tiels to lay such eggs in their life time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

The female lutino immediately runs into the nest as soon as the male sitting in the nest gives it a call/sqweek/whistle. Is it possible that the male is just waiting in the nest and guarding it untill the female lays eggs. Is the male sitting in the nest and being territorial.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KK
    Thanks

Do COCKATIELS starve themselves to death {like fish} ???

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Ok Thank you.
    It does sound like you do have male and female. It was just a question as some females have been known to play the male roll.
    But Not the heart wings.
    They do beak bang and some have been known to talk.
    The Lutino is very hard to visually sex. There are wing spots that are not always correct and not much else. DNA is the best way unless they are laying eggs.

Sand I have never heard of anybody using sand in a nest box. This is not a natural thing in tree holes where lay would lay in the wild. And I would be concerned for the babies laying on sand and ingesting it, causing crop compaction. There are far better things to use. Even paper, like toilet paper or hand towels. These can be changed if and when you like easy.
    If you would like go to Cockatiel Cottage and see what they have to say. It is a very good site on all things Cockatiel.

Why do you want to breed? And are you ready to step in and hand feed if things go wrong. And they can sometimes go wrong the first couple of times a female lays.
    I did reply to your question re eggs and females! No it is not compulsory for a female to lay. Read up on egg binding and the consequences.
    More than the odd person would be more worried about how to stop them laying once they start.

If you are sure they are a pair and I agree it does sound like they are, with the mating going on.
    You may need to look at diet. Breeding season means more fresh foods and less seeds.

I would not think the male in the nest would starve himself completely.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If you want to breed it is a big commitment of TIME and MONEY. You need to know how to hand feed (as in, be shown how to do this, not just read it or watch a youtube video) or you can kill the chicks. First time parents often have issues caring for their babies, so are you prepared to step in and do hourly feedings (as in, set your alarm clock to get up every hour, take the chicks with you if you go out, etc) if you need to if they reject the chicks ? Do you know how to treat sour crop, or detect it? Crop impactions? Splayed legs? And other common chick injuries within a nest? Do you have an avian vet that will be on call if anything goes wrong with them? Is your female on a good FRESH food diet, with lots of calcium supplied? Are they both over 18 months of age?

If you WANT to breed and have done the research to do so... supplying the nest is just the first step. Conditions should be right for breeding. This includes temperature, food amount, humidity levels etc. Once the birds feel it is a good time to lay, the female should.

I've never heard of a bird starving themselves in the nest.

Also, Pieds and Lutinos are nearly impossible to visually sex. The markings that give away what gender the bird is are well hidden by the mutation. Only way to know for sure would be DNA testing.

If you do NOT want to breed or do not feel you are able to do what is required then don't supply a nest. There is no "birds HAVE to lay eggs and have babies" - if you don't want your birds to breed, there are ways to stop them from breeding. Breeding should only be entered into by the breeder with full knowledge and responsibility for the outcome (chicks, possible egg binding for the female, etc). You should NEVER enter into breeding just because you think it's natural for the birds to do their own thing.