where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Fighting over food?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linh
    Thanks

Exclamation Fighting over food?

My cockatiels, Fluffi and Oreo, get along just fine except for one thing: Food. Fluffi's been here longer, and she's the "boss" of the food. Everyday, Oreo tries to eat and Fluffi pecks him or glares at him so he gets the message. He's only able to eat a few times on the spilled food Fluffi leaves, or when we distract Fluffi so he can eat. I've fed him a few pellets, seeds, and some rice from my hand, but he needs more than that, especially since Fluffi spots him, gets jealous, and takes the food from my hand. Sometimes they share, sometimes they don't. I've had some family members help so I could feed Oreo while someone feeds Fluffi, but, like above, he needs to eat more than just a bit. I say a firm 'No' to Fluffi whenever she bites, but I don't think she gets the message. I have tried using two food bowls, but where ever Oreo goes, Fluffi follows him and pecks him if he tries to eat at his own food dish.

The strange thing is that a the very top of the cage, when both cockatiels are there, Fluffi tries to snuggle with Oreo and makes a trilling sound the same as when I pet her, but Oreo moves away and sometimes pecks Fluffi as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Fighting over food?

Could you feed Oreo away from the cage while Fluffi is still locked away at food times? Or the other way around.
    As for biting redirection can help when Fluffi goes to bite, or time out back in the cage, but only for a min or so then let Fluffi back out.
    If you do this remember it has to be immediately after the bite. And try not to react to the bite.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

This sometimes happens when you have one bird that is younger than the other. Are they in separate cages or in one cage? There are folks who post on this web that feel, and I also agree with them, that a bird needs to have its very own cage. That is its "home", and it should not be invaded by any other birds. If you have more than one bird, they can be out of cage at once IF they get along well, otherwise they should be out of cage separate from the other one who is more aggressive. I would say that Fluffi is trying to tell you he wants his own cage, his own food and water cup, and his own "home". That is not to say that he doesn't like Oreo. He just doesn't want Oreo invading his "space". Maybe the issue will resolve itself, but I do know from having budgies through the years, they can be very aggressive to another budgie if they don't get along with each other, and I have heard of birds injuring each other when they don't get along too.

Perhaps you may consider getting another cage so each of them will have their very own food and water cups. Setting the cages side by side would give them the opportunity to be with each other. And you would not need to be concerned about the behavior that Fluffi currently is displaying.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linh
    Thanks

clawnz: My birds aren't 100% tame, so I don't take them out very often. I will tryto feed Oreo outside more often.

maxollie: The birds are in one cage, and actually Fluffy is the one taking up the space... Oreo hardly invades, he moves away...
    There is not enough room for another cage, especially since the place next to Fluffi and Oreo's cage is at a window and too close to the chairs and table. I will see whether they get along or not since it's only been a few days, and I will see if it is possible to relocate the cage to a spot where it can fit two.

Remove Ads