where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Vet near San Francisco

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mhrok
    Thanks

Vet near San Francisco

I have been looking for a veterinatian trained to work with birds who is able to test my budgies for bird flu. Contacting my regular pet store (Your Basic Bird in Elmwood) didn't get me anywhere, nor did calling vets listed on Yelp. When I did get someone who could test for flu, that entained a two-week waiting period to get the results back. Is anyone here local who would know a vet that is able to test birds more quickly? Amiedlsf here clearly was able to do that (http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...rds-on-a-plane!), so suggestions are most welcome .

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Vet near San Francisco

I dont think bird flu is a problem anywhere around here so perhaps that is why you are having problems finding a vet to test for it. I have heard some really good things about this office in San Francisco, http://www.bayareabirdhospital.com/ and if you cant find anyone to help you there you can try to email the Mickaboo bird rescue to see who they recommend, this is there email address: mail@mickaboo.org

If you wanted to take a drive to Davis I am sure the UC Davis pet labs there could test you bird for bird flu and have the results back to you quickly but it would be rather expensive to go there and it is probablly over a hours drive from SF to Davis.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

This link is to Avian Biotech, which is a lab that tests for bird genetics and diseases. I use them for my birds and trust them completely. They send you a test kit and you take a sample as directed and send it to them. They then send you the results, both on their website and via mail.

This particular link is to their bird health references, where you can get detailed information on bird diseases. I think it would be a really good place to start. Then you can click on their other options to get info on their testing procedures and kits:
    http://www.avianbiotech.com/Links_Health.htm
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mhrok
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for the pointers!

Back when I was looking for vets I called that hospital, but they said it would take time (~week or more) so I abandoned hope; they also did not say where they would send the sample to have the test performed. UC Davis's Vet hospital does not list a test for avian flu on their list, but I will give them a call.

Finally, Avian Biotech is great ($25 for a test), but they are in Florida. I know my birds do not have avian flu, nor any other illness, but I need to get a health certificate signed by a USDA approved vet. Given my prior dealings, vets around the Bay are unlikely to let me walk in with a test I ordered online and believe that it is what I say it is . Still, I will see what can be done and will keep the link.

Thanks again. If anyone had experience getting a travel certificate and particularly those ****ed flu test results, please keep suggestions coming about where to go!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If you look up some of Dan's (the owner of this site) posts he had to get certifications for his bird Martin to take him from the US to Europe. It was a long process but I think he did have a detailed post somewhere on here telling you how to do it. I dont think Bird flu was a problem when he did this for Martin so that wont be on there.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mhrok
    Thanks

Dan's post on travel to Europe was how I got here; it was very instructive, but both in his and in Amy's posts the issue of getting a flu test is simply stated as fact, i.e. they went to a vet and that was it. The process is that you isolate birds for 10 days before travel. On at least the 3rd day of isolation, they have to undergo a bird flu test and get a health certificate, which then goes to USDA for approval (easy enough, I already went to the USDA office at Oyster Point in South San Francisco once).

The issue is timing; tests that are being offered to me take 2 weeks, yet clearly Amy flew last year and so there must be something I can do to make it faster. Today is my day of calling Mickaboo and other places, so I will report here what I've learned.

PS. I never thought the act of condemnation to eternal pain and suffering is a swear-word.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mhrok View Post
    Hey, thanks for the pointers!

Back when I was looking for vets I called that hospital, but they said it would take time (~week or more) so I abandoned hope; they also did not say where they would send the sample to have the test performed. UC Davis's Vet hospital does not list a test for avian flu on their list, but I will give them a call.

Finally, Avian Biotech is great ($25 for a test), but they are in Florida. I know my birds do not have avian flu, nor any other illness, but I need to get a health certificate signed by a USDA approved vet. Given my prior dealings, vets around the Bay are unlikely to let me walk in with a test I ordered online and believe that it is what I say it is . Still, I will see what can be done and will keep the link.

Thanks again. If anyone had experience getting a travel certificate and particularly those ****ed flu test results, please keep suggestions coming about where to go!
    Regarding the location of Avian Biotech being in Florida, will that really matter? I'd be very interested in learning about that!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You could always send Dan or Amy a personal message on here, that way he might be able to help you out on how Martin got his bird flu test.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Bay Area Bird Hospital at 32nd ave and Taraval street is good. Also, for night, weekend emergency, 1333 9th ave is very good. Both are in San Francisco Could also try Vet on Wheels if you want mobile service to your home.

Remove Ads