Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are my Canaries ready to breed?

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Are my Canaries ready to breed?

I am glad you went on line to verify what the male and female look like when in breeding mode. They do look completely different, but do remember the male may or not be ready, even if the hen is. Usually the male comes into readiness first and thru his stronger than usual song assists bringing her fully into it. If they fight, this could be normal or a problem. Normally if they are not ready they may fight a bit. This can be sharing space and just establishing themselves. Meaning, what they will accept or not, simple socialization of how each wishes the other to act. They also may not like each other, or be unsure. It takes time for them to accept each other sometimes and this will pass or it can get worst. Not all will accept the other. Sometimes a pair will not get along for many reasons and nothing you can do will change that. This is something you just have to watch and see. Most of the time that will settle out and they will be fine, but again in about 5% of birds they will never get along. Do also remember to mate, she may turn him away if he is not doing things right, IE he is not ready and she knows it. There is a specific courtship they do. Not pronounced like other birds, but he must do certain things to bring her into accepting him. She will also do things to tell him what she wants or when she is ready. If she is ready and he is not or he is ready and she is not, sometimes they will fight. When she is ready or accepts him she will usually move around erratically until she lowers her head, flits her wings, gently vocalizes, and presents her rear end in the air with her tail feathers lifted. This can be subtle or very pronounced. This tells him she is willing and he then will jump on her back and in a second or two be done. It will happen so fast you will think nothing happened, or can take a few more seconds which you can’t miss. Some pairs this event can happen all at once very quickly and appear as if they are fighting, but in truth he must hold her down and claw into her back for support to mate. This obviously looks like a fight or attack, simply because if it was an attack it would actually happen the same way. If she on the other hand does it to him, she is demonstrating dominance and this may work its way out or cause problems.
    Good Luck

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    I am glad you went on line to verify what the male and female look like when in breeding mode. They do look completely different, but do remember the male may or not be ready, even if the hen is. Usually the male comes into readiness first and thru his stronger than usual song assists bringing her fully into it. If they fight, this could be normal or a problem. Normally if they are not ready they may fight a bit. This can be sharing space and just establishing themselves. Meaning, what they will accept or not, simple socialization of how each wishes the other to act. They also may not like each other, or be unsure. It takes time for them to accept each other sometimes and this will pass or it can get worst. Not all will accept the other. Sometimes a pair will not get along for many reasons and nothing you can do will change that. This is something you just have to watch and see. Most of the time that will settle out and they will be fine, but again in about 5% of birds they will never get along. Do also remember to mate, she may turn him away if he is not doing things right, IE he is not ready and she knows it. There is a specific courtship they do. Not pronounced like other birds, but he must do certain things to bring her into accepting him. She will also do things to tell him what she wants or when she is ready. If she is ready and he is not or he is ready and she is not, sometimes they will fight. When she is ready or accepts him she will usually move around erratically until she lowers her head, flits her wings, gently vocalizes, and presents her rear end in the air with her tail feathers lifted. This can be subtle or very pronounced. This tells him she is willing and he then will jump on her back and in a second or two be done. It will happen so fast you will think nothing happened, or can take a few more seconds which you can’t miss. Some pairs this event can happen all at once very quickly and appear as if they are fighting, but in truth he must hold her down and claw into her back for support to mate. This obviously looks like a fight or attack, simply because if it was an attack it would actually happen the same way. If she on the other hand does it to him, she is demonstrating dominance and this may work its way out or cause problems.
    Good Luck
    Oh okay. I think my hen is demonstrating dominance she always bosses the male around and gets first dibs. I asked a breeder named Michelle on e-mail and she said that, that is normal. Is it? Also is it still considered mating if the male just tries to mate when her but then he fails an then they begin to fight? Cause that what my first ever canaries did. I thought that was but the nest wasn't even built nor was their a egg the next day.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Today the male tryed
    mating with the hen but she wouldn't let him. I've noticed that the male I belive is trying to feed the hen I don't know if the hen accepts the food or not but she makes this weird notice and opens her wings. Then the male chirps quietly I don't know if she doesn't want his food? Or is just what they do when the male feeds her? But twice this turned into a fight. I've tried looking it up online but there's nothing.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel_E View Post
    Today the male tryed
    mating with the hen but she wouldn't let him. I've noticed that the male I belive is trying to feed the hen I don't know if the hen accepts the food or not but she makes this weird notice and opens her wings. Then the male chirps quietly I don't know if she doesn't want his food? Or is just what they do when the male feeds her? But twice this turned into a fight. I've tried looking it up online but there's nothing.
    Tried* noice* sorry about that.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel_E View Post
    Tried* noice* sorry about that.
    Noise* well also I just noticed that the hen is also opening her wings. I read on the Internet (before I bought my canaries) that this is a sign. The male tried mating with her also. But does this mean he's in breeding condition? If they both are why aren't they building a nest? They've been in the same cage for almost 2 weeks. I think I should give them more time. But how do you know if they don't like each other? Oh yes! I also already put a nesting pad on the nest since Wednesday. The temperature is at 72 (online it says it should be about 64-74.) and I kind of think it's the lighting. I uncover their cages at 6:30 A.M or 7 until 10:00 P.M but the their is no more light till 7 P.M , and it usually comes out at 7 A.M. Time went forward one hour just last week.
    Shouldn't their be 13 hours of sunlight instead of 12? On the Internet it says they need about 10-13 hours of sunlight. Would this be okay? I mean they wouldn't be in breeding mode if they didn't get enough light right? Lol

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

It is not unusual for a pair to fight. You are correct it is usually a dominant female who won’t accept the male with her. If she is opening her wing, head down, mouth open, squawking at him vocally, while facing him, yes that is a full demonstration of get away or we’ll fight. If she turns away from him, opens her mouth, vocalizes, with her head down and rear end up, while fluttering her wings, she is inviting him. Now remember she may allow him to mate and then begin fighting again. Some birds do this. Not good but it will work its way out after she begins laying. Also remember, when they mate, what you will see if very brief, maybe a total of 2 -4-5 seconds long. He will jump on her back and in seconds jump back off. This can happen many times throughout the day, or just once. The building of the nest is no sign of breeding readiness or anything but lack of skill. Some birds are great nest builders and others, well. They have no clue. Some even will make a mess out of a perfectly good one you make for them, thus why a nest pad is good. The nest pad is there in case everything else fails and she lays, the eggs and young will be ok. You are also correct about the lighting and timing. For a successful breeding state, you must have a minimum of 13 hours. Temperature does not matter as long as it is warm enough to protect the eggs/young from chills. The temperature for bringing them into breeding does not really mater. It helps but is a big factor. Always think about nature. When spring is on us, the temperatures begin to get warmer, the sunlight begins becoming longer and everything outside begins to bloom and more food of all kinds is now available. All of these changes trigger birds to breed, but the light is the most important signal. Lastly, and I am not saying this is the case, but general rules go out the window when you’re talking about individuals. Every bird and every person have their own personality. So I have seen females that do what yours is doing and fall into place and everything’s fine. I have also seen females who will not accept any male except to mate and then don’t want him around, but there are females who will never accept a male no mate what. I had one last year I placed 7 different males with her, she killed one and fought with everyone I gave her. Needless to say I do not have her anymore.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

It is not unusual for a pair to fight. You are correct it is usually a dominant female who won’t accept the male with her. If she is opening her wing, head down, mouth open, squawking at him vocally, while facing him, yes that is a full demonstration of get away or we’ll fight. If she turns away from him, opens her mouth, vocalizes, with her head down and rear end up, while fluttering her wings, she is inviting him. Now remember she may allow him to mate and then begin fighting again. Some birds do this. Not good but it will work its way out after she begins laying. Also remember, when they mate, what you will see if very brief, maybe a total of 2 -4-5 seconds long. He will jump on her back and in seconds jump back off. This can happen many times throughout the day, or just once. The building of the nest is no sign of breeding readiness or anything but lack of skill. Some birds are great nest builders and others, well. They have no clue. Some even will make a mess out of a perfectly good one you make for them, thus why a nest pad is good. The nest pad is there in case everything else fails and she lays, the eggs and young will be ok. You are also correct about the lighting and timing. For a successful breeding state, you must have a minimum of 13 hours. Temperature does not matter as long as it is warm enough to protect the eggs/young from chills. The temperature for bringing them into breeding does not really mater. It helps but is a big factor. Always think about nature. When spring is on us, the temperatures begin to get warmer, the sunlight begins becoming longer and everything outside begins to bloom and more food of all kinds is now available. All of these changes trigger birds to breed, but the light is the most important signal. Lastly, and I am not saying this is the case, but general rules go out the window when you’re talking about individuals. Every bird and every person have their own personality. So I have seen females that do what yours is doing and fall into place and everything’s fine. I have also seen females who will not accept any male except to mate and then don’t want him around, but there are females who will never accept a male no mate what. I had one last year I placed 7 different males with her, she killed one and fought with everyone I gave her. Needless to say I do not have her anymore.
    Yes that is what she does! Well thanks I haven't had any problems so far so that's great. They haven't fought. But I put in some nesting material in their nest today in the morning when I came home it was on the cage floor. Does this mean anything? they always just play with the materials.

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

No, that's normal. Some use it and some play with it. No two are the same. Just take a clip of somesort and clip the material to the side or front of the cage. They will grab what they want and use it or not. The pad you put in will work if they do not actually make a nest. It is up to them. Don't worry to much if you put the pad in. Some pairs or even individuals wil tear apart a nest over and over. Some will make a perfect nest and never touch it again. It varies. Also, very important for health reasons. When the babies hatch out, they should be fed by Mom and Dad. If all goes well and this occurs, the babies will poop, obviously they should as we all do. For the first 5 to 8 days, (differs so no general rule of days) the Mom will eat the poop. This is instictive and she should do this. It is actuallya left over natural instict from the wild. It keeps the nest clean and keeps the smell down, thus not alerting preditors to their location. When you see her stop doing this and and poop starting to accumulate around the edges of the nest it is time to band you young. Now if you are not going to put leg bands on your young, fine, no worries. The poop will begin to accumulate around the edge because the young are now bif enough to get their butts over the edge but mostly miss. This is also the time you should have a clean nest ready. Gently take out the nest with babies in it. Quickly place them in the new clean nest and place the new nest with babies back in. I suggest doing this late in the evening before their bed time. After you do that place some new food in the cage or top off their food. The hen or parents will see the food, forget about the disturbance, begin feeding the young in the new nest and all will go to sleep.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

No, that's normal. Some use it and some play with it. No two are the same. Just take a clip of somesort and clip the material to the side or front of the cage. They will grab what they want and use it or not. The pad you put in will work if they do not actually make a nest. It is up to them. Don't worry to much if you put the pad in. Some pairs or even individuals wil tear apart a nest over and over. Some will make a perfect nest and never touch it again. It varies. Also, very important for health reasons. When the babies hatch out, they should be fed by Mom and Dad. If all goes well and this occurs, the babies will poop, obviously they should as we all do. For the first 5 to 8 days, (differs so no general rule of days) the Mom will eat the poop. This is instictive and she should do this. It is actuallya left over natural instict from the wild. It keeps the nest clean and keeps the smell down, thus not alerting preditors to their location. When you see her stop doing this and and poop starting to accumulate around the edges of the nest it is time to band you young. Now if you are not going to put leg bands on your young, fine, no worries. The poop will begin to accumulate around the edge because the young are now bif enough to get their butts over the edge but mostly miss. This is also the time you should have a clean nest ready. Gently take out the nest with babies in it. Quickly place them in the new clean nest and place the new nest with babies back in. I suggest doing this late in the evening before their bed time. After you do that place some new food in the cage or top off their food. The hen or parents will see the food, forget about the disturbance, begin feeding the young in the new nest and all will go to sleep.
    On okay thanks (: they haven't done nothing with the next so I just built it for them. Some breeders do it cause their hens don't do their own nests. Is that okay that I built it? Thanks for the info

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Yes, I do the same. I always build them and let them either tear them apart and redo them or simply use the one I did. Either way I make it and give it and then leave it to them!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Yes, I do the same. I always build them and let them either tear them apart and redo them or simply use the one I did. Either way I make it and give it and then leave it to them!
    Oh okay thanks I did that hope this works. Have you already had your first egg this season?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

I've tried looking in the Internet for this but I couldn't find anything. Do they need to be in a quiet place? Cause mine are in the dinning room next to the kitchen and living room. It's only quiet Mondays - Fridays, 7 A.M - 3:30 P.M . After that the tv is always on except after 12:30 A.M and it's noisy except at night. Would they still breed? Or they need their quiet space?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

I've noticed there was a mirror on the left side of the cage! My hen would always look at it and chirp. It's not really clear cause their is some stuff blocking the way. But I think you could still see yourself a bit. Would this be why she doesn't want to mate? Cause she's in love with herself? Plus I can't move the mirror it's like a cabinet with mirrors glued to the back.

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

When it comes to canaries, do not give them mirrors, they do nothing but cause problems. Simple answer is yes, birds don't understand the reflection all they see is another bird period. The noise is not a problem as long as it is not anything frighting or sudden. Normal activity in the house is fine, they get used to it. Just cover the cage at night and un-cover in the morning. TV's or the constant changing of images are a big disturbance. To a bird they are like strobe lights. Never put a bird facing a TV. Lastly, if your kitchen is close to the bird or the bird to the kitchen remember teflon cooking pans kill. Look it up under Birds and Non Stick Teflon cooking pans. The chemical make up of these oans lets out a toxin when used that will kill your bird/birds. I will add a little more to where your bird is. Try to keep any loud or abrupt activities out of the birds area when they are breeding. Most of the time you will have no problem, but the occasional dog or loud children or any typr of activity that can startle them can affect them during breeding.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

When it comes to canaries, do not give them mirrors, they do nothing but cause problems. Simple answer is yes, birds don't understand the reflection all they see is another bird period. The noise is not a problem as long as it is not anything frighting or sudden. Normal activity in the house is fine, they get used to it. Just cover the cage at night and un-cover in the morning. TV's or the constant changing of images are a big disturbance. To a bird they are like strobe lights. Never put a bird facing a TV. Lastly, if your kitchen is close to the bird or the bird to the kitchen remember teflon cooking pans kill. Look it up under Birds and Non Stick Teflon cooking pans. The chemical make up of these oans lets out a toxin when used that will kill your bird/birds. I will add a little more to where your bird is. Try to keep any loud or abrupt activities out of the birds area when they are breeding. Most of the time you will have no problem, but the occasional dog or loud children or any typr of activity that can startle them can affect them during breeding.

No they are not facing the tv. About the kitchen yes I know I looked that up before I bought them. We don't have any of those pans

Remove Ads