where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Re: Are my Canaries ready to breed?

So should I take the nest out? Because they aren't together. I feel like if I followed your steps I would of have the best ready by now lol. The first time I did this the hen would always sleep next to him. Right now she doesn't really stay by him (I haven't really noticed.) well actually she does! She stays by his side. I always wondered why she was on the left side. I don't get it though, she has all the sings but she's not in condition nor does she want to breed. She also takes out the food of the seed cups (sometimes). I kind of feel like its the nests fault (dumb idea). So you know how I have one side of the cage of the hens covered so she can't see us and she'll get more privacy well my dad told me to uncover it, because when the chicks are born the hen won't like when we stare at them and she will kill them. I kind of believe him, but would a hen really kill her chicks? Thanks.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

so I just saw my male ripping up the newspaper! But then he was singing Whaat?

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Don't over think this. They will do what they will do. If they are sitting next to each other that tells you they are ok and well accepted each other and are sharing space. The rest is exactly what you see, meaning readiness. If he is ripping paper he is showing he is a good mate and showing her so. Leave the nest and watch, or wait. They will do it in their own time or not at all. Doing anything now just changes their enviroment and at this point you want them settled and doing whatever they chose to do. The fewer disturbances let them settle and feel safe. As far as covering anything, that is again just creating a safe zone and keeping lighting right or hiding them from to much or tv's, commotion. Hens don't kill young unless something is wrong, but this is done by throwing them out of the nest or abandening. If a hen is scared do to motion or enviroment, they will either sit to tight as to never feed. Meaning they will sit and never feed trying to protect the young, which obviously they die from the hen herself trying to protect them. She may also kill them by abandening them from fright and trying to save herself. This means she will not sit and gets very anxious thus they don't get fed and get chilled, thus die. The third as I said is when they throw one from the nest. This is when something is wrong and she is protecting the others or something is just wrong period. There are instances of canablism but this is rare. Usually that is a lack of correct diet and they will chew of toes or it is the make who does it trying to make the female mate again. OK at this point leave everything alone and watch. If the lighting is above 13 hours your there and even good at 14 hours but not below 13. Egg food sometimes does push a hen to lay as does plenty of good food. Two old tricks to complete the coming into readiness is Hemp and/or wheat germ. You can buy hemp at whole food stores, buy the hemp hearts, they are already shelled and can be given directly. It is not cheap but $18 for a bag and keep it refrigerated and change it often. Very oily and will spoil quickly. The wheat germ can be either grain/powder style or oil mixed in their seed mix. Again as I said many threads ago, be carefull of how much you give. It works them up and creates mating to overdrive, thus they get testy and aggresive. The toasted wheat germ, dry bottled powder type is easiest to mix into their seed mix and change it daily. Ill look up and try and give you a good brand and post it. It is cheap and again at most health food stores or even grocery stores.

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

What is wheat germ?

Wheat germ is the part of the wheat berry that's responsible for the germination and development of a new wheat plant. It makes up 2-3% of the entire wheat kernel.

What's the nutritional benefit of wheat germ?

This small part of the wheat plant remarkably provides more nutrients, iron and potassium per ounce than almost any other grain or vegetable. It has more B vitamins than any other food except liver.

2 tablespoons of wheat germ has 6 IU of vitamin E, which is 20% of the Recommended Daily Value. Our Toasted Wheat Germ is a great source of vitamin E; it easily complements other great sources of vitamin E like nuts, oils, broccoli, avocado, papaya, and seeds.

Vitamin E is linked to a host of health benefits It may help to maintain cognitive function as we age, improve vitality, help maintain a healthy heart, and strengthen the immune system. Some of the best sources of vitamin E, unfortunately, are also high in fat and calories. It's important to choose foods, like wheat germ, that will not add extra fat and calories to our diet.

Look up Wal-Mart, type in Toasted Wheat Germ, at the bottom of the page their will be a picture of a 12 oz bottle for $4.19 Brand Kretschmer - Original

This also can be given through out the breeding season, the vit B and E gives the parents energy needed to carry through the season.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    What is wheat germ?

Wheat germ is the part of the wheat berry that's responsible for the germination and development of a new wheat plant. It makes up 2-3% of the entire wheat kernel.

What's the nutritional benefit of wheat germ?

This small part of the wheat plant remarkably provides more nutrients, iron and potassium per ounce than almost any other grain or vegetable. It has more B vitamins than any other food except liver.

2 tablespoons of wheat germ has 6 IU of vitamin E, which is 20% of the Recommended Daily Value. Our Toasted Wheat Germ is a great source of vitamin E; it easily complements other great sources of vitamin E like nuts, oils, broccoli, avocado, papaya, and seeds.

Vitamin E is linked to a host of health benefits It may help to maintain cognitive function as we age, improve vitality, help maintain a healthy heart, and strengthen the immune system. Some of the best sources of vitamin E, unfortunately, are also high in fat and calories. It's important to choose foods, like wheat germ, that will not add extra fat and calories to our diet.

Look up Wal-Mart, type in Toasted Wheat Germ, at the bottom of the page their will be a picture of a 12 oz bottle for $4.19 Brand Kretschmer - Original

This also can be given through out the breeding season, the vit B and E gives the parents energy needed to carry through the season.
    Oh okay thanks! I thought he wanted to make the nest or probably be a hen. Thanks! The only thing to feed the young is nestling food and wheat germ?

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

NO - Wheat Germ is an aditive for the parents. It brings them into condition and assists energy while in the breeding season as well as continues to assist and keep them in breeding condition. As soon as they are done breeding discontinue. Nestling food, be careful, this sometime it is for young and some times it is a hand rearing food designed for us humans to hand feed babies. Be careful if buying it, make sure it is specifically made as a soft food for the parents to feed their nestlings. Some companies miss label or slyly label. If young are present, continue giving a good seed mix, place a cuddle bone in the cage for calcium and a good calcium w/Vit d3 should be added to the water every few days. A good multi vitamin and mineral helps, again in the water or over the seed. Lastly a good egg food or soft food, (most things when you read them can be cunfusing. some people use the term egg food and others soft food. There is a differance but most people use the terms to mean the same thing). Good egg food manufactured foods are, ABBA Raft yellow, Cede, Quiko or Orlux. All are a manufactured egg food designed for raising young, fed directly from bag to food container, were mom/dad feed directly to babies. There is a safe one for this also you can find at most all pet stores, Petamine. Obviously also, always keep the water clean at all times during this time.
    If you add, "IF" you add wheat germ, due it in the seed mix not soft/egg food. Again this is a veryt small amount you are feeding the parents. The parents will continue to eat the seed mix, crack it and eat it and regergitate it to the young. Babies can not crack nor eat seed mixes until much later. They can but they are not physically able to crack seeds obviously. So keeping the wheat germ low is necessary, it is an aditive not soemthing needed in large quantiies. One cup of seed should get around 1/4 teaspoon mixed in it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

What is w/Vit d3? I've noticed people putting yellow water in the water cup. Is that it? If it is where can you buy that? Also I'm planning on buying Nestling food at Petland (Quiko brand) most breeders recommend Quiko and another brand. (I'm not sure what it's called). My grandparents would only give their chicks boiled egg and they would all hatch and live. They live in Mexixo they would feed them only boiled eggs because there is no Petland,petco,Petsmart, etc. over there. So they really couldn't do anything about it. Since we actually have other things to give them I buy them that stuff. (most with my own money) my parents think its crazy, they think I should just do the boiled egg thing. I don't want to. They think I'm all wrong they thought the same thing when I breeded chickens but everything turned out great! I've been thinking about being a vet when I grow up!

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

W/Vit D3 is Calcium with Vitamin D3 / Meaning research why Calcium in all living creatures including us need Vitamin D3 to be absorbed into our systems. During breeding obviously the formation of eggs requires calcium and it can be depleted in a birds system quickly, so it must be replenished. The main reason for egg binding in hens is the lack of calcium, but again to just add calcium does not work without Vitamin D3 so most calcium supplements, especially liquid forms will have vitamin D3 added, read the label. Most are marked right on the front. Your parents and grandparents are correct in respect to boiled eggs. If you go on line and look for egg food recipes for feeding young birds you will see tons of recipes and most all contain boiled eggs. The thing is boiled egg goes bad quickly so leaving it out is not a good things. It works fantastic but you must change it often to avoid it going bad and then the bad being fed. Most people, and there are a lot still swear by it and will only make their own. It is proven and has been done that way for hundreds of years. Most mix it with bread crumb mixtures and other items. The rest of us, feed manufactured egg food or soft food/rearing food simply because we do not have the time. Simply put again it is a time issue. We work or have limited time available to spend making the food up then also, time is limited for feeding. Real egg food can not again be left out, it must be changed every few hours for safety. Since I and many work full time and the young need the food and feeding all day long, I and others can not leave real egg out so we must use something we can. Quicko is good because it can be fed dry. Many manufactured egg food say on the label to add a few drops of water to make a paste. This again is inviting problems from spoiling, so certain manufactures like Quicko and Abba, even Cede may be fed dry. This than can be left out for many hours with no problems. I still give it fresh in the am and change it when I get home in the afternoon, but real egg again should be changed every 2 hours or some even change it every hour. Think of it as if you made yourself eggs, would you leave it on the counter for 6 hours and go back and eat it, hope not. You would not drink a glass of milk left out for hours nor a piece of cheese. Mold and other bad things begin to grow in anything of these types. If you have the time to feed it, it is great. Read up on recipes and find one you can make. Make it up and freeze the remaining so you can just use what you need and have more to use when needed. The truth also is, many people do boil eggs and feed it directly without making any type of mixture, they just cut up the egg, smash it with a fork to break it up and feed directly. Remember, growing young need the building blocks to grow quickly and grow strong. In any birds, animals and us, there are two forms of protein to build, animal and vegetable, the easiest form of animal is egg. Some people will mix the others such as whey protein or TVP(texturized vegetable protein) found in health food stores. It is hard so you must grind it up to a powder then mix. If you read the ingredients on any bodybuilding protein supplements they make shakes out of, you'll see all of what I am saying. So again, your parents and grandparents are correct, but there is also other ways. I will admit as well, nothing is taken to quicker or appearing to give such pleasure than watching birds devour real egg, but either real or manufactured, they both work. You will see most all of the manufactured has real egg in it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

I've tried to find any type of egg food at pet stores but there is nothing! Theres these sticks made out of egg and honey and a worker at Petland recomended me it. I didn't take it though, she said she had experience breeding canaries but I wanted to make sure if you would approve of this lol. I bought this seed mix mixed with seeds Quiko soft egg food, calcium, and other things. Would this help with breeding? I'm going to change this other feed that I used to give them that really doesn't give them anything. I give them two different feeds. Plus I have this routine the first day I give them egg food, second veggies, third fruit. Then I repeat the process. I didn't know you were supposed to change the egg food every two hours?! I leave it the whole day and change it the next morning. Nothing has happened. I can't change it every two hours because of school 7:40 A.M - 3:30 P.M. So I've noticed that my hen is loosing a lot of feathers! I feel like she's going though a molt or something. But she is the only one, it's only her feathers. Could It be she's getting into breeding condition? (but he abdomomen looks normal). Tomorrow (Monday) and I'm going to put them together, it's been two weeks. I kind of feel like I shouldn't but the male is tearing up newspaper and the female keeps loosing feathers, could they be ready?

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

First remember to not do anything drastic. I say that pertaining to changes, which includes food. Your birds should have a good seed mix in their cage at all times as well as clean water. Those two things should always be there and never change. If you are buying your food at Petland, they carry Higgins, and you’re right don’t buy or give anything like the egg biscuit thing, in truth don’t buy or give anything from any pet store marked treat of any kind. Your bird needs the following: (I went on line to Petland to see what they have to assist)
    1- Higgins Nederland’s Vita Seed Canary / 5lb bag - $9.99 – Bird should have this in their cage always
    2- A good manufactured food/ pellet that have everything they need and a little change of diet/taste for them is: Zupreem Fruitblend x-small, 14oz $4.99 – This can also be left in the cage all the time or mixed in their seed mix to be given every day. Just mix it about 25% Zupreem Fruit to 75% Higgins seed mix
    3- Now about the fruit or vegetables/ greens: Once or twice a week is fine, or every third day. A very inexpensive and easy to give one is frozen pea/corn mix. The ones you get in the grocery store in the refrigerated cases. Buy a bag and keep it in the freezer at home. Take a table spoon or so, run it under water to thaw and put it straight into a small separate cup from their food. It will still be cold but no worries, they will love it. Clean up the remnants after an hour, they throw it everywhere. Also spinach or dandelions are great as well, just use a cloths pin and pin a few leaves to the side of the cage. Also clean it up after about an hour. Remember greens can change the consistency of their poop and sometimes make it runny or black. Think about it, if we eat spinach our poop turns black as well. Sorry, no other way to say that, but some people see it and worry and don’t think about the spinach doing it.
    4- Recap, Seed mix everyday no matter what, clean water every day no matter what, Zupreem Fruit everyday straight or mixed if you want, Fruit/Veg/Greens every third or fourth day.
    5- Now to egg and grit/calcium: Your bird I have said before should get a calcium source, cuttle bone, small one from Petland $.99 cents or Ultra Care Oyster Shell bag, 10oz $3.49 in a separate cup left and changed every few days. Good source of calcium and they will eat what they need as they need it. Just keep it clean and change it every few days. (The calcium I spoke about w/Vit D3 is a liquid, I did not see that Petland carried it so I am leaving it off and stating what they do have the Ultra Grit.
    6- Lastly the egg food: this is used when the birds are raising young or molting. Due to the high nature of the protein it should only be given during the time they are feeding young or to the growing young. This is offered again in a separate bowl, do not add water to it, and feed it dry. Yes they carry the Quicko Classic Egg Food for Canary’s 1.1 lb bag $7.99. It will be fine given in the morning and changed again when you get home from school, no worries as long as you don’t add water to it.
    I know this is long but I wanted to be specific to address all the needs and to make sure you do not change their diet up as you said you were. They need to have constants to get their bodies and guts used to a standard, thus the seed mix never changes, and the rest are the things that are added.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Oh, they do need that fruit blend? I thought it was just food that was a waste of money. It also looks like something a canary wouldn't eat. Yes, they do sell the egg food but at the 2 stores I've been to they don't have it at all. I've also been to Petsmarts and Petcos and they also have nothing. I wish the Petland website showed if it was in stock at your store but it doesn't. Thanks for looking all that up! Appreciate it! I feed my birds this one seed mix that the breeder I known sells and makes himself. They love it! In the other cup I give them this other food it used to be this fruit blend seeds. But it didn't even say what it had in it (calcium,protein, etc) so I took it out Today and gave them a new feed that I just bought Yesterday. I'll check what it is called once I get home. When I get home I am also going to put my canaries together, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

The feed is called Vita Prima Canary Formula. It contains Quiko egg food crumbles, vitamin and mineral enriched, calcium fortified, high protein diet.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

All they sell at the pet stores I go to for chicks is hand feeding formula.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

So today the temperature got up to 79 degrees! It's been going up lately and then down (weird weather). It's at 78 right now my Parents won't let me turn the AC on so it can get cold. They only let me open the window. My birds seem ok. But they aren't chirping or like usual. Actually ever since I out them together they haven't been normal.

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

They don't need the fruit blend, I just said it is a godd formulated food as an alternative to give along with the seed if you wanted to. Because it is formulated you know it has a nutricianal make up that is good and since it goes thru a serious process to make it won't go bad if left out. Don't worry about the temperature. My birds are all outside, which lately has been in the mid to upper 80's with no problem. The time of concern is when it gets in the 90's to mid or upper 90's. That can be danderous for them, 80's no problem, and open windows and fresh air is good as long as there is no draft directly on them. LAstly, speak with the manager of the store near you. Since they carry it or show it on line the company carries it. Since that speific store does not that is a local stores call not corporate. They should be able to get it transfered from another store of theirs so you can get it. These stores transfer things all the time. Just ask, explain why and usually the manager will help. If not you can always email their corporate offices and request it, even saying you asked and the manager was not reseptive if he/she won't do it. This will certainly not look good for the manager if corporate has to ask why a customer wants something they sell and can't get it. Just a recomendation, but hopefully the manager is a good person and will help. Be polite and tell him/her the truth and see. Take your parents or a parent with you, this will let the manager know your serious.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Oh okay thanks! so today is the second day they have been together. I'm still not home (walking home not in class) so I don't know what I will be expecting. Oh thank you! Great! I was going crazy about the temperature. I've been having trouble with counting time. I never have trouble with counting time. I guess I'm just freaking out, but 6:30 A.M - 7:20 P.M Isn't that above 13 hours? Sorry I'm asking I've never had trouble with this, I'm guessing I'm just freaking out. Oh okay, I'll see what I can do with the egg food stuff. I think I found a store that sells it. So they are in an aviary? Is it just canaries or do you have parakeets, fincas, etc? People say its hard to breed in aviaries, is it? I thought it was easy since they can be around lots of birds and mate with the one they want.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

So I get home and I see half the nest destroyed. I actually expected this to happen at one point since he would always play with the nesting material and has done this before. I didn't freak out because you said this was normal. So I've also notice since the last time I tried breeding them that each time the male goes on the nest the female opens her beak at him does she not want him on the nest? Then she starts following him everywhere with her beak open and the male gets scared. I put the towel up because my dad is always complaining about it saying its supposed to be up and stuff.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Hey, I wanted to ask can humans get birds sick? Or the other way around? There's like something going around the house. Yesterday my moms stomach hurted. Today my stomach hurts and my sister has Diarhia. Could my canaries get sick?

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Ok where to start, I guess at the top of your threads. Yes, you have them almost at 13 hours, 13.5 would be better, but this could be what is causing/effecting the hen to behave the way she is. Males come into readiness faster than females. In nature the males will finish the process, meaning they are ready first and by their actions and song bring the females the rest of the way. Until they hit closer to a sustained 13.5 to 14 hours, SOMETIMES, they are not ready. Again, these are generalities; there is no hard fast rule for individual birds. They all will do what they do no matter what we do. This leads me back to what you say your birds are doing to the nest and how the hen and male are acting. I seriously suggest leaving them alone. Let them be and let them do what they will. The more they get used to their environment, meaning no changes or anyone pestering them, they will feel safer and calm down. When a hen is stressed by her environment, meaning she just is not sure the place is safe because to many things either keep changing or a giant creature, you keeps popping in, she will or can avoid mating for safety, thus hold the male off. Now the aviary question you mixed up. I have all of my birds in a very large screened area. Part of that area has a large 20’x20’x15’ interior aviary, also two large flights, and 8’x4’ x 6’. The birds stay in these most of the year. During breeding I move them to breeding cages, double breeders to be exact. I do not or ever will colony breed as it is called, meaning letting many birds in an aviary do their own thing with whomever they end up with. I pair very specific birds together and spend a lot of time matching them up specifically. Lastly about human to bird/bird to human disease transmission, the answer is yes. There are many things birds can be affected by that we cannot get from them as well as us to them, but there are many things that can be passed either way. Most notably would be, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Mycoplasma, Chlamydial infections and many other fungal things including E-coli. The key is always washing your hand often. Do not handle another bird after you have touched one until you’ve washed your hands. The same goes for you personally. Make it a practice to never put your hands in your mouth, eyes, ect until you’ve washed your hands. If you do, it is hard to transmit things back and forth. Keeping their environment clean, cage and food/water dishes is imperative to stem off 70% of most everything. Washing your hands so you are not transferring anything either way is another 20%. The last 10% well, I’m just making up numbers as far as percentages go but 10% is probably right in reference to things out of our control, ie genetics or outside factors no matter what we do will occur.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Oh okay thanks! Its raining today and thunderstorming so I don't think the hen thinks she's in a great environment so far. I'm sick so my parents actually let me stay home. I haven't changed or cleaned their food/cage. I usually wake up at 6:30 A.M to feed them but I couldn't sleep all night. I woke up every 15-20 minutes. So yeah I'm about to get to that and make sure I wash my hands.

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

They get used to storms, they do have a more sensitive system in respect to climate changes tho, meaning high pressure systems, (clear sunny days) and low pressure systems, (rainy). When the pressure begins to drop and storms are coming in they know it before we do. They feel the atmopheric pressure dropping. Tells them to eat and get ready to hunker down so they are fed and able to ride out bad weather. Anyway, get better and wash your hands, HA

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Ok thanks! So I went to the hospital and the doctor said supposedly my canaries gave me samonela. (I think that's how you spell it) I did believe her at first, but now I don't. I think it's the stomach flu, because my grandma, aunts, cousins, friends are also sick! I think it's the stomach flu.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

You could put them in same cage together and see if they are interested in each other yet, or will need more time to get used to each other.

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

OK, first not for me to challange anyone with MD behind their name but that i would question. If you had reptiles maybe and very possible but birds, questionable. The cases of humans getting anything from a bird is extremly rare, well I should preface here in the US, or from pet birds, not live stock or bred for food birds. The highest percentage is always in alergy or respirotory probelms from bird dust/feather dust ect. The doc could of said you may have, or could have,, but I would expect, would of then done a simple test and told you what the problem really was. Many stomach virus' are going around and if family memebers and others around your own enviroment, touching and using the same space you are, well, my bet would be on that not the birds. But again, always listen to your doctor and your parents, but you always have the right to ask questions politely and until you understand. Again, wash your hands often, keep them out of your face and get better

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Manuel, I was reflecting on a lot of our conversation here and it hit me again that please remeber, no one anywhere, including me know your specifics so anyone out here are just guessing and giving sugestions. None of those should be taken as facts or truths. This is why so many times I try and stera you to investegate and learn as much as you can to make educated descisions of your own. Include your parents on anything you are thinking and always yeild to professionals who know you and your speifics. Please again never trust any information here or anywhere from anyone, again including me until you research and completely understand everything before doing anything. Question everything and listen to the people closest to you personally, they will be the ones who have your best interest formost in mind. Again, talk to yor parents and include them, you may not like their answers soemtimes but they will always be doing things they truely believe is right for you. Again, to drive the point homw hoepfully, never take anything on the internet from people or sources you do not know as fact. Question everything, question everything, invetigate and learn, ask more questions and continue to do so until you understand whatever it is the best you can.