Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Advice needed -budgie leg / foot injury

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Exclamation Advice needed -budgie leg / foot injury

Hi all , I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if i don't use this correctly.
    I would like advice about my budgie to whoever is reading this. A few days ago i read online about giving budgies a string of cheerios in their cage as a healthy snack ,I attempted to do so as per suggested online ,however when my mother tried to remove the empty string from the cage one of the budgie's leg had got tied into it since he started to fly around frantically. It ended up clotting and when i tried to remove the string he started bleeding profusely , i was able to stop the bleeding eventually but later that night he passed sadly i wish their was something i could have done but vets in my country do not work on emergency calls.The other budgie i had with him however she seems to be standing alot on her left leg alone since the accident happened , i cannot reach any vet open at the moment since it is the easter holiday and would like to know what i should do ? She stands on both legs now and then and flies perfectly normal its just that she keeps standing on that one leg now and then makes me worried if anything might have happened to her too .Please respond asap to this thread , thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Advice needed -budgie leg / foot injury

Anuska, I'm so sorry that you lost your little budgie in such a freak accident. Budgies are such small birds, they cannot lose much blood, because indeed they will not survive. I know you will feel it is your fault, but do try to forgive yourself. Accidents do happen to all of us that have pets on occasion. I had something similar happen to me several years ago when one of my baby cockatiels got hung up in a piece of yarn that I had hung a toy in the cage with (was new to tiels and did not use common sense to realize that was a NO! NO!). Luckily, I was sitting close by the cage that day, and looked over to see Hope having been caught in the yarn around her neck, and just hanging there. I jumped up and immediately went over and cut the yarn with a scissors and removed her. I was very lucky that accident had just happened because she did survive.

As to your other budgie, personally, I don't think that standing on one leg means it is sick. If it is drinking water, eating seeds, and doesn't seem lathargic, or all puffed up, or sitting on the cage floor puffed up, I don't think it is sick. I just think it is missing its partner that has died. Usually, when budgies or any bird for that matter stands on one leg, it usually means they are content and happy in their cage and environment.

Fly High and Free little budge . . . over the Rainbow Bridge! Rest in Peace!
    Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply Ellen , yes i am very sad my baby budgie had to die and especially since i know it is because of the cheerio string that I put up it hurts me but i cant help undo what is already done , I will take my other budgie to the vet tomorrow i do hope she is okay as you said and maybe its just that she misses her mate but i do plan to get her a friend as soon as possible ,i dont want her to be lonely all the time , i will update you and let you know what the vet says when i get through to him , keep in touch thanks again for your advice , i appreciate it !

Anuska

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi, Anuska, welcome to the forum!
    Budgies stand on one leg a lot to let the other leg rest, as we would do if we were on our feet all day. Don't blame yourself for what happened, it was an accident. Budgies are small and don't have much blood in their bodies so keep a styptic pencil on hand for if it ever happens again, I also read even corn meal will work. Rather than hang anything on a string, it is more fun for you and your little featherface if you offer one cheerio from your fingers and let her chomp down on it, my Aria always loved to eat from my hand and you can monitor her while she is eating. My vet said not to give her cheerios on a string since it can impact her crop, same with almonds, a single one fed from your fingers occasionally is safer and better for the bird.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Anuska. I am sorry to hear about your budgie, especially the way it died. Like everyone else has said please try not to blame yourself too much because you just did not know this horrible accident would happen. Your one left must be mourning for the loss of its mate and feeling tired and hopefully that is why she is just resting on her one leg so much. Birds grieve just like us humans. Corn starch and also flour will help stop bleeding but if it was profuse like you said nothing might have really worked except whatever you did to get it to stop. I have read the Stypic pensils are good for feathers but it could actually burn a bird if applied to skin so you need to use it with caution on skin.

Fly free little budgie...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Hi Kahala thanks for your feedback i will definitely get a stypic pencil for safety purposes , i actually read recently someone said online that stypic pencils should not be used to living tissue i think it was i'm not sure but they said it would actually cause the bird harm rather than help it , so i'm trying to research more about the pencil before i decide to get it i have read the corn meal and flour works good as well so i will keep that in mind .As for the eating in my hand ,sadly that's impossible i got my budgies at a pet shop a while back and they were both untamed so even the slightest movement or even if i tired to put my hand inside the cage they would get scared i have been trying to slowly ease my way into making them accustomed to me but it never seemed to work so i just decided to leave them as is because they seemed pretty happy together by their self but sadly that has to change since the death of the little guy.I actually got a new friend for her today she seemed a bit agitated towards him at the beginning ,kept trying to bite him but she stopped after a while , i hope she gets accustomed to him quickly i do not want her to continue mourning for her loss but as for hanging anything in the cage i think i will just stay away from that to avoid any further deaths

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

hello deanna thanks for your reply , yes you are right , i contacted the vet and he said that was the problem that she was grieving and to get her a friend asap so i got her a little guy today ,she tried to bite him when he first arrived but she stopped after a while i hope she does not continue to treat him like that . i will definitely keep in mind the corn starch and flour for bleeding purposes but the little guy that died i don't think even that would have helped him it was horrible because as soon as i removed the string it was gushing literally it was too much blood i couldn't believe it . i am going to refrain from putting any toys/hanging objects in the cage with the budgies in the future i do not want anything to happen to them , i know it gives them something to do all day but i feel as though they have each other's company and they can enjoy that . I mean i see them in the pet shop in a cage with all their buddies and they are most happy i don't want to ever let that last event occur again i think the essentials like their food and water are all i should leave in there for them i know toys would have been great but maybe they don't necessarily need them and especially how they can be dangerous i rather not take that risk at all . Let me know if you think its a good decision by not putting objects inside the cage ? feedback ? thanks for you reply again , i appreciate it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Luke
    Thanks

While I can see the temptation to remove all hanging objects from a cage after the horrible experience you have had, I would councel a certain amount of balance is required. All parrots need toys to play with, and there is a balance that needs to be struck between offering that mental stimulation and creating a hundred percent bird safe environment.

Consider how you would treat children on a playground. A child could always fall off the top of a slide or have some other mishap that is clearly a distant but real possibility. Keeping a fit and healthy child away from the playground because of that hypothetical risk is not healthy for that child's development. So too a potentially super safe bird cage may be denying a bird its fundamental needs.

There are many options to consider to improve safety without the removal of all hanging objects. Almost everything I hang in Fry's cage is suspended by stainless steel chain and secured by quick links also made of stainless steel. It's certainly not 100% safe, but I feel like it properly balances risk and reward.

I've been prone to be over cautious on occasion too. For example, the other day when I was awoken by Fry having a night fright, I removed several things from the cage before putting him back to bed, just to be on the safe side. I put them all back on the following days though.

In removal of all cage toys I think you run the very high risk of bored budgies who could develop severe behavioural issues. Having companionship is great, but when there's nothing else to enrich their environment I don't think it's enough.

Maybe you need some time to be willing to put more things in their cage for now. And in the short term, that's okay. My recommendation though is that you empower yourself by researching the various safe toy options and gradually reintroduce things into their cage as you feel ready to do so.

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Hello Luke, thanks for your reply , after hearing what you had to say i must say i am reconsidering putting toys back in the cage, you are right it is necessary for a balance environment and despite we cannot be able to provide a completely 100% safe one ,all we can do is our best to provide them with one that is essentially healthy and safe to an extent.I guess i just feel overprotective about the incident but i will have to do what is best for my budgies and i will definitely look into safe toys before i reintroduce them .Thank you for your feedback again i very much appreciate it

Name
    Momma Bird
    Thanks

Styptic pencils are chemical cauterizers- they burn flesh to close a wound. Not a good thing to use on living tissue. Instead, try corn starch.

Budgies are so small and delicate, simple things that would be fine for other birds (like string!) are a problem for them. The hemp string that I doesn't fray and is rather smooth. If you want to choose string for next time, perhaps try that?

Check out the birdie bread that is more nutritious and that birds prefer in taste tests!

We also sell toys and organic manzanita perches, too!

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Hi Momma Bird , thanks for your reply i had read that somewhere online before but was not sure ,thanks for informing me about it , i will definitely use corn starch the next time , hopefully there won't have to be a next time but i'll keep it mind. thanks for your feedback i appreciate it

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I think there is some risk for any toys that we hang in bird cages because brds are fast, and playful, and don't understand danger when playing. I try to use steel chains and hooks to hang my toys, but the chain is fine so they can't get their feet stuck in it, and I don't leave the chain long, but rather fairly short and close to the top of the cage. I think the main goal is to be sure they can't get "caught" in the toy or chain, nor can they get "hung up" on them. I totally agree they do need toys to play with. My Muffin loves his mirror girlfriends. Currently he has three . . Isabella . . . Baylee . . . and Pearl! (lol)

And CONGRATS on getting the new baby to keep your other little budgie company!! Hope to see pics of both of them sometime soon.

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Hi Ellen , yes i couldn't agree more with you I was actually looking at getting the triple mirror toy for my budgies today ,i know i can feel most sure that it is harmless to them,for the while til i gain the courage to get them other toys later on lol but glad to hear Mr Muffin has himself so many girlfriends he must enjoy that lol ,thanks again will definitely post pics soon thanks for replying again ! keep in touch.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

To be sure about the bird that is still living, best idea is a visit to a vet. It may be serious. As for the bird that passed, I have had budgies get messed up catching themselves on things before. They never passed from it though. Just learn and keep doing the best you can. The cheerios thing just turned out bad.

Name
    anuska sampath
    Thanks

Hi Bill thanks for your reply , I did contact the vet the very next day of the accident and he told me that it was because she was grieving her loss and that i should get her a new friend and wait a little after and only then ,if she was the same to bring her in . I am still observing her for any changed behavior or any of the one leg standing but she seems to better now ,standing on both legs and flying as normal. Thanks for understanding and yes this is something to learn from.I hope to never let this event reoccur again . Thanks for your feedback .

Remove Ads