Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I am new and my baby cockatiel died today

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

I am new and my baby cockatiel died today

Hi everyone - My name is Tammy. I bought a hand-fed, hand-raised, 8-week old cockatiel last weekend. He was so adorable, His name was Oliver. I only had him for a few days and even took 3-days off of work to be with him and bond. I fell in love with him very quickly. The baby was weaned and eating millet only when I bought him. I did notice some food in his nostrils but he would sneeze and it came out. I was relieved. Yesterday, he started with labored breathing and I thought he may just be tired as he is only 8-weeks old. He was puffed up in his cage, waiting to go to the vet today after work. At lunch I had a really bad feling so I went home and Oliver had passed away. I will not mention how I found him but the image will remained forever burned in my memory. His brand new 200.00 cage is coming in the mail today. Now, I have an empty cage to stare at and wonder what went wrong. I spoke to the breeder and she did mention that maybe when she fed him, he was aspirated. I DONT KNOW, all I know is this little guy had my heart, he was suffering and even I didn't know. I want him back so bad it hurts.

Tammy

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: I am new and my baby cockatiel died today

Tammy I am very sorry that Oliver passed away after you trying to help him out. How heartbreaking it must be for you to have such a young bird die right as you were bonding with it. I hope it least the breeder either offered you a new bird or your money back because this just should not have happened to poor Oliver. Maybe in time you can find another bird to put in the brand new cage you just got but you need to take all the time you need to get over your loss. I know you asked about Oliver on your first post here and was so hoping it was just a seed or something else that was making him sneeze and nothing bad. I can only imagine walking in a finding him dead and how much that had to hurt and hopefully you can somehow replace the memory of him with the good times you had with him and not coming home to find him dead. It must of been horrible for you and I am sorry this happened.

Oliver died much too young but it least you were there for him to show him how it felt to be loved.

Fly free Oliver...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Tammy I am so sorry you have had such a bad start to bird keeping.
    Only with a necropsy could be sure what went wrong! Poor baby.
    If the crop was damaged by the breeder there was nothing a vet could of done to save this one.
    If you have the room in your heart to except this has happened and put it behind you, I would put pressure on the breeder to refund or at least give you another bird.
    Life just not seem fair some days.

Fly Free Little One.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

Thank you for replying to my email. This struck me and still is hitting me hard. I barried him in a box with a flower, his toy, and in a blue blanky I bought him. I went and found a garden statue of an angel holding a bird and put it a top his grave.

The breeder was cryinf along with me. She asked me if I would be interested in meeting another breeder friend of hers. I really did not want to but I did. I drove to Pico Rivera and fell in love with a baby, the breeder would not sell. He reminded me so much of Oliver. This was upsetting so I called my breeder, she called the breeder she sent me to and then he was willing to GIVE me the baby (he will not be available until next weekend) The reason he did not want to give him up because he is an Emerald Male baby. What is an Emerald, whats the big deal, he is beautiful and I already love him but what does that color matter????

Tammy

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Hi, Tammy! Welcome to the forum! I'm so very sorry that you lost your precious little Oliver. It is just heart breaking when we lose our little babies as you did. You hardly knew him, but you LOVED him. And I could bet that ALL of us bird lovers who come by the forum to read, learn and chat, would tell you the same thing. I am sending you a "big hug", Tammy, because I know how much it hurts you now. Just remember that Oliver LOVED you too! You two were already best friends, and always remember that his little Spirit will ALWAYS be in your home. You gave him such an honorable and sweet burial as well.

Having been around cockatiels and budgies for many, many years, I would like to express a few thoughts to you. These are only my own opinions, so you can take what information you would like to and discard that which you don't think will be in your best interest for your new baby.

Personally, I think Oliver was too young to come home with you at only 8 weeks of age. Some breeders do release their birds at that young age, in fact, I have read that on occasion someone will post their baby is only 5-6 weeks of age. But baby birds at 8 weeks of age still need to be with their parents, and need to be fed by their parents or the breeder, or sometimes breeders do what we call "hand raise them", and allow only the parents to feed them. By hand raising I mean "socializing the baby . . . handling it . . and getting it used to human hands and intereaction with a human person. Baby birds at 8 weeks of age are barely fledged (learning how to fly), and they also still need the parents to feed them or the breeder to feed them several times a day. From what I have read and studied about baby birds, a good age for the baby to be released to the new owner is 12 weeks of age. The main reason is that if a baby bird at 8 weeks of age doesn't get enough bird seed every day, and since it is just learning to eat the seed, it can starve to death very fast. Baby birds 8 weeks old would need more than just millet seeds to eat. I would say they also would need hand feeding formula as well. As Clive mentioned you would need to have a necropsy (like an autopsy) to find out what happened, and really, little Oliver is in a better place without you having to do that.

So, my thought is to see if you can work with the breeder that has the new baby and wait a few more weeks to get the new baby if the baby is not yet 12 weeks old. Since you have had such a big disappointment with losing Oliver, perhaps they would allow you to come to the breeder's and see your new baby every once in awhile before you actually get him/her.

And finally, if your new little baby is an Emerald Gray, it will be a very stunning and beautiful bird. You can google: cockatiel mutations: and find several websites that show all the different colors. An emerald Gray cockatiel looks sort of "a greenish grey" color, rather than just a plain gray color. And I think it also may just be the emerald gray without any orange cheecks. When you read the information about the mutations, it will show you the pictures of the emerald gray female and the emerald gray male. To us who LOVE our birds, I don't think the "color" of the bird matters to us. We fall in love with them when our eyes meet each other . . . it's just that plain and simple. I know exactly how you are feeling about that, because when I get a new bird, and I look in that little bird's eyes and he/she looks back at me . . . that's it . . . he/she is coming home with me!!

Please keep us posted on how things go with getting your new baby. When you are settled in with him/her, and everything is going well, please post some pics of your new baby and let us know what name you chose. We LOVE pics here and to hear all about your new addition.

You are a wonderful "birdy parront", Tammy, even though you didn't get to keep Oliver for very long. I will pray that you will have total success with your new baby tiel.

Fly High and Free, Oliver! Over the Rainbow Bridge! And again, Tammy, you have my sympathy at the loss of your precious Oliver.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, Tammy! Welcome to the forum! I'm so very sorry that you lost your precious little Oliver. It is just heart breaking when we lose our little babies as you did. You hardly knew him, but you LOVED him. And I could bet that ALL of us bird lovers who come by the forum to read, learn and chat, would tell you the same thing. I am sending you a "big hug", Tammy, because I know how much it hurts you now. Just remember that Oliver LOVED you too! You two were already best friends, and always remember that his little Spirit will ALWAYS be in your home. You gave him such an honorable and sweet burial as well.

Having been around cockatiels and budgies for many, many years, I would like to express a few thoughts to you. These are only my own opinions, so you can take what information you would like to and discard that which you don't think will be in your best interest for your new baby.

Personally, I think Oliver was too young to come home with you at only 8 weeks of age. Some breeders do release their birds at that young age, in fact, I have read that on occasion someone will post their baby is only 5-6 weeks of age. But baby birds at 8 weeks of age still need to be with their parents, and need to be fed by their parents or the breeder, or sometimes breeders do what we call "hand raise them", and allow only the parents to feed them. By hand raising I mean "socializing the baby . . . handling it . . and getting it used to human hands and intereaction with a human person. Baby birds at 8 weeks of age are barely fledged (learning how to fly), and they also still need the parents to feed them or the breeder to feed them several times a day. From what I have read and studied about baby birds, a good age for the baby to be released to the new owner is 12 weeks of age. The main reason is that if a baby bird at 8 weeks of age doesn't get enough bird seed every day, and since it is just learning to eat the seed, it can starve to death very fast. Baby birds 8 weeks old would need more than just millet seeds to eat. I would say they also would need hand feeding formula as well. As Clive mentioned you would need to have a necropsy (like an autopsy) to find out what happened, and really, little Oliver is in a better place without you having to do that.

So, my thought is to see if you can work with the breeder that has the new baby and wait a few more weeks to get the new baby if the baby is not yet 12 weeks old. Since you have had such a big disappointment with losing Oliver, perhaps they would allow you to come to the breeder's and see your new baby every once in awhile before you actually get him/her.

And finally, if your new little baby is an Emerald Gray, it will be a very stunning and beautiful bird. You can google: cockatiel mutations: and find several websites that show all the different colors. An emerald Gray cockatiel looks sort of "a greenish grey" color, rather than just a plain gray color. And I think it also may just be the emerald gray without any orange cheecks. When you read the information about the mutations, it will show you the pictures of the emerald gray female and the emerald gray male. To us who LOVE our birds, I don't think the "color" of the bird matters to us. We fall in love with them when our eyes meet each other . . . it's just that plain and simple. I know exactly how you are feeling about that, because when I get a new bird, and I look in that little bird's eyes and he/she looks back at me . . . that's it . . . he/she is coming home with me!!

Please keep us posted on how things go with getting your new baby. When you are settled in with him/her, and everything is going well, please post some pics of your new baby and let us know what name you chose. We LOVE pics here and to hear all about your new addition.

You are a wonderful "birdy parront", Tammy, even though you didn't get to keep Oliver for very long. I will pray that you will have total success with your new baby tiel.

Fly High and Free, Oliver! Over the Rainbow Bridge! And again, Tammy, you have my sympathy at the loss of your precious Oliver.
    My breeder sent my bird home at 9 weeks, but he weans at 8 weeks and makes sure they are eating for a week before sending them on their way. He hasn't had any issues with his babies at that age, they fly a bit, are clipped, weaned for a week and then sent home. So, it depends - it is good to be sure your babies are eating on their own well though before sending them out.

I am sorry for your loss Tammy. They do claim our hearts very quickly. The emeralds are a rarer mutation and breeders like to keep certain mutations for their own stock, to make even rarer mutations or certain ones they are aiming for. I am glad he was willing to give you the baby though. I wish you luck with your new flock member. Fly free Oliver.

Remove Ads