Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hello Everyone- Young yellow sided conure

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Hello Everyone- Young yellow sided conure

Hi everyone--- I came back! I was on here almost a year ago to talk about my beautiful baby linnie I'd found and purchased from a breeder. It was a very sad day when I woke up after having him for only two months and found him passed of a stroke 8[

Anyways, I'd been toying with the idea of getting a new bird- and I went to a pet shop earlier today. I'm normally very wary of pet shops, but there was this one yellow sided conure who was very very friendly- she hopped into my hands and nibbled at my fingers and climbed up my jacket to sit on my shoulder. My heart broke, and I decided to bring her home. I'm sitting here now doing research, because though I've had a bird before, my dearly departed Watson was not a conure- I'm just curious what everyone's experience with this beautiful bird is, and if you have any wisdom to pass on to me, a new conure owner.

Thank you so much!

Annie

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Hello Everyone- Young yellow sided conure

Hi Annie! Welcome back.
    I am fairly new around here, but glad to report the forum is doing well with lots of new members coming onboard.
    As to your questions on Conure's I cannot help much as I do not know much about them.
    There is a forum called Conures & More, they may be of some help over there. It is a bit slow though.
    And I would not want to see you leave this forum.
    I am sure we must have Conure owners here.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, Annie and welcome back! I'm sure you will have some responses from your questions. I don't know much about conures myself, but they are a "beautiful bird", and I think you will have a wonderful journey with your new baby. I hope you will post some pics of her when she is better adjusted to her environment and is well bonded with you. Hope to see you around the forums.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the welcome back! Sunny is at home now, settling into her new cage. I can't tell if she hates it or is just figuring it out, who knows! She sure is adorable though. I open the cage and let her hang out with me and then put her back. She's beautiful, I love her already. Just waiting for her to start trying to assert dominance.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I can't wait to see some pics of Sunny! I have a cockatiel male by the name of Sunny Day! I call him Sunny too! When I got him, his little yellow face reminded me of the "sunshine". He is quite a character. He barks and growls like a dog, and entertains me with a song that is a combination of Andy Griffith, Tequila, and the Mickey Mouse Song. (lol). Good luck with your beautiful Sunny!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

We have two regular green cheek conures (well, they're both supposed to be green cheeks; I still think one is a maroon-belly, but that's another story). We love them both to pieces. They are ACTIVE birdies and are in to EVERYTHING. They love to be doing whatever we are doing, whether it's chores or eating or watching TV. Our two don't talk much, but can say a few things. Both of them say "Step up" and can make two different kissing sounds - a little smooch-smooch-smooch and a big MWAH. One can also say "It's very good". They are nippy at times. They have definite opinions on what they like and don't like. I've heard that they are called "The quiet conures" but when they get going they can be amazingly loud.

Right now they are really hormonal. We've had them over 7 years and this year, we have definite proof that one is a girl -- she laid eggs, so both of them are REALLY nippy and territorial right now. I'll be really glad when this is over - lol....

If I can answer anything particular please let me know -- I'm no expert but I can tell you what my experience has been....

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Thanks so much! So far she's been an angel. She nips sometimes, and I swear she wants to remove my nail beds, but I don't think she's trying to hurt me so much as trying to figure out what I'm made of... She wakes me up in the morning as soon as she hears me move, much like my cat, and she likes to be out of the cage quite a bit. I have a perch I keep beside my desk, but she likes to walk all over my keyboard and to stand on my fingers while I'm typing. She's still young, five months, I think, so she hasn't hit those terrible twos yet, but I gotta say, I'm a little worried! Her beak is sharper and stronger than Watson's, and it's everything I have not to yank away in pain. She likes to preen my freckles, and likes to sit on my boob shelf while I'm walking around and doing chores. She doesn't seem bothered by the cats, but since I used compressed air to scare one of the cats away from the cage, he is TERRIFIED of Sunshine. It's kind of hilarious. The other cat is curious, but lazy and lethargic and wouldn't ever do anything about his curiosity, which I am grateful for.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

oh and she likes to preen my freckles.

This is sunshine, everyone! I have more adorable photos, but I'm having a difficult time uploading them. Right before I uploaded this she went after my pinky real good @_@ I got a blood spot under the surface, some peeled skin, and it's swelling a wee bit. Ouch she's strong!
    Last edited by Suka.Strife; 04-28-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! Sunshine is just precious! What a "sweetheart"!! Enjoy her each and every day!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sunshine is a very cute bird! I hope your finger is feeling better because that sounds like a bad bite and hopefully you can somehow train her not to bite you so hard.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

She is beautiful! She looks a lot like the Pineapple Green Cheek that I will be trying to pick up this week. I have been reading up on them, so I'll post some good books to help you research & read up on your new friend.

-Animal Planet Conures
    -The Conure Handbook by Anne C. Watkins
    -Your Happy Health Pet Conure by Julie Rach Mancini

These are just the ones I am reading now. They have a lot of helpful information in them so they are worth checking out. Hope this helps some!

Remove Ads