Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 7 week old lovebird too late to tame?

Name
    Rondell
    Thanks

7 week old lovebird too late to tame?

My baby lovebirds hatched about 7 weeks ago and they are in the process of weaning.. They were parwent raised and I did not handle them at all when they were babies.. As of rite now they are very afarid of my hand... Is it too late now to separate maybe just one and try to tame him?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: 7 week old lovebird too late to tame?

No, it isn't too late to tame them. Many birds that are purchased from Pet Shops and other pet venues are parent raised. So don't lose heart. All birds are afraid of hands because they consider them to be danger. That is an instinct that they have been given because in the wild birds protect themselves from danger, and their natural movement is to get away from any "predator", by flying high and away. They also use their beaks and bite. And I do know that lovies are "biters", perhaps more so than some other birds. I would suggest you go on line to YouTube and search for "training a lovebird/or lovebirds". You will find great info on there and the videos will probably also show some that are being trained.

I do think you will have better success by training one bird at a time. Go to a small room in your home so the bird has limited flight space. You can begin the training with "clicker training". Also see if you can search "clicker training lovebirds", and see if you can find info.

I think you can train all of them in time. With any birds "patience" is always the key to success.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Noi way
    I've tamed birds who were years old

Sammy was only taken from his parents a couple of weeks earlier than that
    and i didn't bring him home from the breeder until about 11 weeks old

Now he's silly tame. I don't think he'll ever be a snuggled like my last lovie, but that's just his personality. He's too bonkers and active to sit still that long lol

You're a big BIG scary giant alien. Of course you're a little scary.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Rondell
    Thanks

Ok thanks you. You have given me hope lol.. But when I separate one of them from the rest.. Does the sound (faint sound) of the others like his parents affects the taming?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

That is a good question. They still are very young, because usually a breeder or a pet shop doesn't rehome baby birds until they are about 12 weeks old, so you do have plenty of time. And since they have all been together since hatching, they are very "bonded" to each other and their parents. You might consider waiting a few more weeks before beginning the training. I don't know what the reaction of the parents might be, whether they would get territorial and protect their young by trying to bite you, or be aggressive by flying at you, or keeping you from their chicks.

If I were you, when they were about 12 weeks old I would try to have them DNA tested, so you will know which ones are females and which ones are males. If you are going to keep all of them, it is important that the males and females are separated into different cages, because you don't want them to begin "inbreeding" when they get a little older. I'm not sure how old lovies can be when they begin their "puberty".... hormonal life, but I do know some birds can be as young as six months. And you definitely don't want inbreeding to happen because IF the eggs were to hatch, you may end up with special needs birds or birds that are not developed normally.

Name
    Rondell
    Thanks

ok thank you... i'll wait a few weeks before i separate one of them