where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: i got a nesting box do i need to put anything in it

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kaitlyn
    Thanks

i got a nesting box do i need to put anything in it

I got a nesting box put it in my bird cage and my female parakeet has gone in it do I need to do anything else

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: i got a nesting box do i need to put anything in it

Yes, Kaitlyn, You need to read all about breeding budgies, and the nesting procedure. And I say that because it is no easy task to breed birds. Budgie hens and all hens can have problems laying eggs, the egg can get stuck inside of them, and then the bird may die. You would have to take her to the Vet immediately if that happens. And it will be difficult for you to know if she is having trouble laying the egg when she is in the nest box alone. Do watch her carefully since she is now going inside of the nestbox.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I did not put anything in the nest box when I bred my budgies. From what I researched and read about it, budgies like to be in a nest box with no nesting material. They make their own nest by using their beaks to chip off some of the wood on the bottom of the nest box.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

When I let my budgies breed, I put cotton & wood shavings in mine. My bird was weird, she didn't want to go in until I put something in there for her. From what I have seen from other budgie breeders, budgies do like a nest box with no nesting material in it. A concave in the bottom of the floor of the box will help prevent splayed legs in the chicks.

Thanks

Actually maxollie birds are very easy to breed - you just need to be prepared for the outcomes.
    I put seed husks, seed and ti tree leaves in the bottom of my nesting boxes - the females usually kick it out but it initiates nesting behaviour in them.

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boonze View Post
    Actually maxollie birds are very easy to breed - you just need to be prepared for the outcomes.
    I put seed husks, seed and ti tree leaves in the bottom of my nesting boxes - the females usually kick it out but it initiates nesting behaviour in them.
    Birds are easy to breed - when things go right, but breeding responsibly takes research and preparation. We have people coming in quite often who began to breed because they heard how easy it was to breed a bird - just stick a male and female together, buy a nest box and voila you have babies. They didn't expect egg binding and lost a hen, or they didn't expect the parents to kick the babies out of the nest and couldn't hand feed, or they didn't expect sour crop and had no idea how to treat it, they didn't expect a twisted leg so didn't know how to bind it, etc. We have had many members over the years who have lost entire clutches, or their breeding hen, due to not researching before hand what goes into breeding.

Kaitlyn - I would recommend reading up on breeding now since she is going into the nest box. For example, a breeding hens diet should have more calcium in it than a normal pet bird to make up for what she uses in the eggs. If you are not able to hand feed, I would suggest learning (from a breeder or vet who will demonstrate it, not youtube!) before the clutch hatches just in case she as a first time parent rejects the clutch and you have to take over. If this happens, be prepared for long nights of little sleep and days spent doing the same - newborns require frequent feedings and you can't skip on them. Read up on the common ailments such as splayed leg and sour crop and how to treat/prevent them.

If you've already done all that - great! Good luck on your clutch and you've already gotten answers to your questions, so I have nothing to add to that. If you've already done your research, I apologize for telling you stuff you already know. I just like to give a general overview / warning to new breeders, since we have had so many losses on this board from inexperienced breeders not understanding the scope of what they are getting into. No offense intended, at all.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have bred budgies only one time in my life, that being about 11 years ago. At the time I had no plans to do so, but I had purchased what I thought was a male to add to my flock of (4) other males, about a year or so before the "love affair", and by Xmastime, it was very evident that Buttercup (the female) and Nicki (the male) were in love. Buttercup was very popular at the time, in fact all four males were competing for her. In the end, Nicki won the "competition"!

I went on-line and did some research on nest boxes. The info I garnered said to not put anything in the bottom of the nestbox, because the female "perches" pieces of wood shavings from the bottom of the wooden box and uses them for her setting needs. That is exactly what I did, and I ended up with (4) beautiful little chicks! I also studied diet, calcium, breeding habits, ec., and I was just plain lucky to have the first breeding experience without any glitches.

I agree with others who say that breeding is no easy challenge. I've read lots of sad stories about it, for many different species of birds. It was a fun experience for me. I haven't had the opportunity to try it again, because I downsized my home, and moved to an apartment. It is challenging to find a management/landlord who will allow you to have 13 birds total in your apartment. (9 budgies and 4 tiels). So right now I have one budgie and one tiel! If I had the room and a willining landlord, I'd go right back to having 13 birds!!

My recommendation to anyone who is considering breeding birds and hatching chicks is to do your homework well, and proceed with caution, watching the situation carefully for the entire time, from the mating to the hatching. You can be doing everything right, and still, something unexpected can go wrong. If you are a person who has confidence in yourself and your abilities, I would say you have a good chance you will be successful. I believe that any breeding birds should be at least 1 1/2 years old, because younger birds are not "mature" when it comes to breeding. That is just my own opinion. The diet is paramount to success. And plenty of calcium is necessary so the egg shells will be hard and the hen won't end up egg bound.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boonze View Post
    Sorry to say I go with Marrie and Maxollie on this.

The net abounds with the difficulties. From infertile eggs on up to all the other things Marrie and Maxollie have mentioned.
    Sure if you have two fit healthy birds on a decent diet and living in a good environment, they should be easy to get them to lay eggs. And even have no problems with raising the young. But it can all go so horribly wrong.
    If one is not prepared and have researched it is the birds that could suffer. Right up to finding good homes for the young.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Thanks

I'm not saying research shouldn't be done - it definitely should (learned that the hard way, and I never looked back - whenever I'm going into a new species, even if it's only a finch or quail, I ALWAYS research it thoroughly). I only meant to disagree with maxollie's original statement that birds are difficult to breed. I'm not in any way condoning slapping a nest box in there and letting them go without prelim research. *shudder*.

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Remove Ads