Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with two month old lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Talking help with two month old lovebird

this is my very first type owning a pet and i have a lovebird and i have several questions if anyone may answer.

1. what should i feed him?
    2.should i let him out the cage to roam my room or try and tame him first?
    3.if he flies around and its time to put him in the cage how do i get him back from flying around.
    4.should i clip his wings or leave him without them clipped?

and any other info for me you have would be greatly appreciated

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: help with two month old lovebird

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I: Food I am not sure about diet for a Lovebird. So I will leave this to others.
    2: I would go with trying to bond with him before letting him out to fly around. If he bonds with you it will make life more simple when it comes to getting him back in the cage. If you do not have some sort of relationship going before you open the cage, he will tend to go to the highest place where he feels safe.
    3: This is a bit of a curly one. As long as he sees the cage as his safe zone and the place where he has food, at some point he will always want to go back there.
    4: If you can work with him flighted it would be the better option. But I am biased and feel birds are designed to fly. It may take longer and you will have to put in more effort. But the relationship you will have will be so much better for it.
    And it is a great feeling when they fly to you because they want to.

With training. Take small steps, every small positive step is a gain towards the next one.
    Read what ever you can find on Positive Reinforcement Training, this will help you gain that bond.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Dew
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of having a bird buddy. Those are all great questions, and I'm sure some of the members of the site will give some wonderful suggestions for you. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for now because I may not the best at giving advice. I have a tendency to let my birds run the house and fly all over, lol (most are tame, a few are not).

Edit: See, Clive already answered while I was typing.
    Last edited by Dew; 07-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Fly free Chloe!
    You are greatly missed.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

well thanks alot you two im looking around the site see if i find more things and how can i bond with him do i stick my hand in and pet him or something?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bosssantana View Post
    well thanks alot you two im looking around the site see if i find more things and how can i bond with him do i stick my hand in and pet him or something?

Not to start with.
    Sit and talk/read to him.
    He needs to know he can trust you and this is the time where you are building a decent bond and trust.
    Sticking your hand in the cage to interact with him comes after he knows he can trust you.
    When sitting next to the cage note his body language. At some point he should move to your side of the cage to listen to you. Then you can offer treats from outside the cage.
    When you service his cage keep movements to a slow pace.
    As I said above it is good for them to see the cage as their safe zone, so try not to cause him to get frightened in the cage.
    Last edited by clawnz; 07-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks alot will do all this anything else i should know my lovebird keeps closing its eyes is he just tired since its only like his second day here
    Last edited by bosssantana; 07-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

If he is not puffed up all the time as well!
    This can be hard to pick, as when they are relaxed they do tend to be a little puffed up.
    I would say he is fairly comfortable and just resting. Birds do this during the day. Take naps that is.
    He should become more animated as he settles in.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

when you say puffed up what do you mean and how will i know ? and oh okay got it

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Hi and welcome to the community. I'd love to see pics of your new baby lovie sometime. I haven't had a lovie in the years I've cared for birds. I home a budgie and a cockatiel. Hopefully some other members will stop by and give you some thoughts. Deanna (Boomer) had a lovie for several years until it passed away. I'm sure she will see your thread and answer, but it may be after the 4th of July, because like most of us, I imagine she is going to celebrate with those "big boom fireworks"!! Hope to see you around the forum.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

i will take pics of both of them soon thanks im glad to be on this community so far ive had lots of help and they seem happy chirping always so far these last two days

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Sick puffed up is more like a ball and sitting low on their legs, and I would expect other signs like poor pooh, dull eyes.
    Relaxed they tend to look a little fluffy. Tense feathers pulled hard in.
    Pupils are another good indicator. Large round eyes they are not sure of what is going on and alert. oval they are relaxed and comfortable with what is going on.
    Sometimes they will close the eye towards you while keeping the other one open watching the other way.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks for all the info i will check this always

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

so i shouldnt let them out the cage or anything? just let them get comfortable before anything right

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

This is up to you. If he seems settled and calm enough I see no real reason to not let him fly. Getting him back in the cage is the trick.
    I myself would let him settle in a bit, and get used to the cage being their home and safe zone. Then at some point in the day they will go back there for food. On that note I would only feed him in the cage for now.
    And you should see that they eat morning and again in the afternoon. So if you have him out before feeding time, you should be able to coax him back in for food.
    Are they hand tame or do you have to tame them?
    If tame I would think you could let them out and about.
    If they are not, then they could get hurt flying into things trying to get out of your way. Panic like type flight.
    if you are going to keep them flighted then the sooner they are out and learning the layout the better in my opinion. As I feel they will be more cautious and not flying at full speed, possible into things.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Thanks

2.should i let him out the cage to roam my room or try and tame him first?
    3.if he flies around and its time to put him in the cage how do i get him back from flying around.
    I sit my friend's birds who are fully flighted, and I tend to go over and let them out near dusk so that if they feel naughty and wont go back, I can slowly shut down all the lights but the one near their cage. Since they cant see in the dark and lack of light makes them sleepy I use that to herd them back. You might try starting out with this until your birdy gets comfortable.

When I first got Ham she was clipped and I let her out. I had a wooden ladder so she could always get up to the cage from the floor without me chasing her so she had some measure of independence and it worked really well. Later when she bonded to me, it was actually funny because even though flighted she would run away on the floor from me up to the cage in mock terror if I pretended to catch her at something bad. Its only me and no pets in my place though.
    We got lots of Ham here