Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I need to find a new vet.

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

I need to find a new vet.

Around 2 weeks ago when gizmo got scared and flew off when he came back I looked him over and he seemed fine! He had been missing one or two small feathers on his head so i continued to watch the spot to see if it was getting better or worse.. well at first it was getting so much better but yesterday he must have irritated it and it puffed up.. so we took him down to the vet and the "Bird Vet" wasn't there yesterday just like every other day of the week he is in once a week for a couple of hours day. The vet tech who works with birds came out to look at him to make sure he was okay... have you ever seen someone hold there bird and put him on his back.. I HAVE NO TROUBLE DOING THIS WITH GIZMO HE LOVES BEING ON HIS BACK... well that's what she did but she did it all wrong she grabbed around his neck and squeezed the rest of his body relay tight so tight that he screamed then like poked and prodded at the place where I was worried about and just said "OHH he fine don't worry about it" Then after holding him squeezed in her hand and pushed into her stomach she grabs his wing pulls it out as fast as she possibly could and goes "oh would you like his wings clipped today or would you like him to fly away..." I so wanted to say "no give me my **** bird" (excuse my french) I was so mad... but me being as nice as I am all I said was "no thank you" (I didn't want to make a huge deal in front of the little girl with her puppy)

The way I see it is if your holding a bird to where they are screaming in pain and fighting for their life is not right! That vet will never see me again!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: I need to find a new vet.

That sucks. Poor Gizmo.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Do some checking around in your area. Just like our Doctors, not all Vets are equal in their treatment protocol. I know you will be watching Gizmo's head feathers carefully. Perhaps you can find someone to look at him tomorrow. I totally agree he needs to be evaluated with a Vet that will be much more gentle, and one that will do a better work-up on his condition.

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

The only other vet around here that will even accept a parrot is over an hour away.. and they are told us they are going to charge out the butt because its his first visit...

they told us it would basically be tripled what it would normally be :/

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Maybe if you can get Gizmo's health records from your vet you have now it wouldnt be as expensive for you to take him to the other vet you found. A hour isnt really that far if this vet is a good one especially if the new vet will treat him in a much nicer way then your vet you have right now. I use to need to drive a hour to get to my avian vet and it wasnt that bad because I knew she was one of the best around. Have you checked around to see if perhaps there is a vet who may not be certified as a Avian vet however knows them and can treat them? I know Boomers vet had at least three other vets in her office that were not certified but they could treat Boomer as good as she could, if not better at times. One of them moved to a new office and she was a amazing bird vet and she never was fully certified.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

We called every where and no one will treat a parrot!! we don't live in an area where parrots are a high demand for people!! :/ sadly! but gizmo is doing okay and acting fine ill call down tomorrow to see if they will take his old vet records that's a good idea!! I didn't think of that! THANK YOU

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

An hour is pretty normal for finding an avian vet. My vet is about that far away for exotics. Unfortunately, not many vets go into the avian specialty because it costs them more to train for it and the cost of vet school is already pretty pricey and the work stressful as is. Also one of the reasons the costs of treating them are so high. Never heard of first visits being more though, is it because they want to run a lot of tests?

Remove Ads